Author Topic: Bumper scrape!  (Read 3465 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Bumper scrape!
« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2017, 11:30 »
In their risk modelling it doesn't matter whether you caused the accident, they still load (to some degree) your premium for non-fault accidents because something about your behaviour is risky - eg you park in sh!tty Asdsa car parks or choose on street parking spots etc etc.

500 quid for a repair might sound bad, but quite probably over 5 years you will pay this and more for letting them know.

Of course, it is your legal responsibility under the terms of your insurance to inform them of any incident. So please don't imagine I am advising you to not follow these contractual terms ;-)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Margy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2017, 12:24 »
Not told them! Just had a smart repair quote at £125.00 from a guy I've used before on a less valuable car a few years ago. To be fair, he did a very good job then.  I'm sure Peter Coopers' VW body shop will want a bit more than that when I pop in later though!
Tornado red PP, Santiagos, DCC, winter pack.

Offline Briggsy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2017, 12:57 »
Did those who say they are effected with the a price increase because of the claim base that on the fact the current insurer with the claim increased the renewal?

My insurer increased the premium (as they always do) but when then shopping around I tried using all of the compare sites quotes with and without the non fault claim and no insurer within the top 10 (or more) cheapest changed their price, same for the subsequent renewal.

I'd be interested to know why it didn't effect me but it has for some others apparently. If true there must be other factors, i.e. You have other negative factors.

I'm certainly not in a low risk area as I live in West Yorkshire.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2017, 13:30 »
New business premium rates could well be different to renewals...

Is anyone really not flipping their insurer every year? You are getting hosed probably if you aren't.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2017, 14:51 »
Did those who say they are effected with the a price increase because of the claim base that on the fact the current insurer with the claim increased the renewal?

My insurer increased the premium (as they always do) but when then shopping around I tried using all of the compare sites quotes with and without the non fault claim and no insurer within the top 10 (or more) cheapest changed their price, same for the subsequent renewal.

I'd be interested to know why it didn't effect me but it has for some others apparently. If true there must be other factors, i.e. You have other negative factors.

I'm certainly not in a low risk area as I live in West Yorkshire.

Insurers use multiple risk factors in their premium calculations. If you've made a non fault claim under your policy but you successfully recover your excess from the at-fault party, then you shouldn't be penalised by your insurer for the claim.

Your premium may still increase in subsequent years, but the increase will probably be due to other factors and not the fact that you've made a claim that wasn't your fault. 
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Briggsy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 26 May 2017, 23:27 »

Is anyone really not flipping their insurer every year? You are getting hosed probably if you aren't.

The difference between NB and renewal isn't the query it's why are people allegedly being penalised for having a non-fault claim when they shouldn't.

However you're right as to people not switching or at least exploring it, far too many don't (generally older folk) and that's why insurers increase premiums more than inflationary costs etc.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 27 May 2017, 10:00 »

The difference between NB and renewal isn't the query it's why are people allegedly being penalised for having a non-fault claim when they shouldn't.

No, even that could be new business vs renewal. Perfectly possible for the risk model to alter in order to win new business...