Author Topic: Tyres and Anti-Tramp!?  (Read 16478 times)

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
Re: Tyres and Anti-Tramp!?
« Reply #30 on: 01 April 2017, 21:09 »
Because we wanted it. Just because you have big muscles, you don't have to show them off! :grin: Plus I'm a law abiding person.
:huh:

You do not need to be speeding to appreciate just how poor the Bridgestone tyres are. Most of the wheel spin, under steer and ABS light flashing I experienced was below 30mph. But I didn't buy a performance Golf to drive it like an old married man... ummmm... even though I am an old married man :grin: :tongue:
« Last Edit: 01 April 2017, 21:36 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 02 April 2017, 08:09 »
They are on my pp gti and if you drive like a normal person the tyres are fine. Bit noisy but an ok Tyre for normal driving under normal road conditions.

Agreed! Honest and realistic view. I drive with my wife in the car most of the time and all the married and coupled will know what that means: Mr Sensible must be driving at all times of the day and night! :wink:

They sure are noisy, the tyres I mean of course...

I'm the opposite, my wife drives faster than me.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 02 April 2017, 09:40 »
They are on my pp gti and if you drive like a normal person the tyres are fine. Bit noisy but an ok Tyre for normal driving under normal road conditions.

Agreed! Honest and realistic view. I drive with my wife in the car most of the time and all the married and coupled will know what that means: Mr Sensible must be driving at all times of the day and night!
:wink:

They sure are noisy, the tyres I mean of course...

Ah yes, I know this feeling all to well but I do get the chance to drive on my loan some a lot of the time. When the Mrs & spogs are with me it = individual mode with everything in normal except engine sound in sport.

When I'm on my loan some it = sport mode  :cool:
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 02 April 2017, 11:15 »
Anti-tramp... VW re-enactment of A Clockwork Orange :)

Just another ESP/XDS/traction control thing to stop wheel spin at low speed power application. Detects wheel spin and backs off the power by computer control.
I did a search on the forum for the word Potenza. So many people think the Tombstones tyres are poor.

I though this comment was funny... does the anti-tramp feature work, or have Bridgestone found a way to defeat it! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #34 on: 02 April 2017, 11:26 »
It's simply that in the UK the compound doesn't do well across our cold wet climate. In Germany they have much warmer summer temperatures and winter tyres (by law). In the UK there are better compounds available for us all year round. Remember that in a gtd you have more torque than past opinions thought sane in a front wheel drive car.. It's a technical miracle it's not far worse.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 02 April 2017, 11:48 »
It's simply that in the UK the compound doesn't do well across our cold wet climate.
I see that people were complaining to Bridgestone, VW and VW UK. You would think that VW would realise that there is an issue and select a different tyre for the UK. Though that would also be admitting that there was an issue. Maybe the facelift gives them an opportunity to change :undecided:

Does anyone know what make of tyre is fitted to the Mk7.5 GTD/GTI standard alloys? I see there are Pirelli fitted to the 19inch alloys.

Hmmmm.... a new set of tyres £500ish. Upgrade the alloys for better tyres £600...  :undecided:
« Last Edit: 02 April 2017, 12:32 by Daz Auto »

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 02 April 2017, 12:33 »
I see that people were complaining to Bridgestone, VW and VW UK. You would think that VW would realise that there is an issue and select a different tyre for the UK. Though that would also be admitting that there was an issue. Maybe the facelift gives them an opportunity to change :undecided:

Highly unlikely: VW will have negotiated and secured a 'competitive' (low) price with Bridgestone to supply tyres for a specific period of time under contract. The fact that VW have launched the facelift Golf won't stop VW fitting Bridgestones, unless the relaunch date of the facelift Golf coincided with the Bridgestone / VW contact expiry date (unlikely) and the contract isn't renewed.

I daresay that when the tyre supply contact comes up for renewal, Bridgestone will do all they can to retain what is undoubtably a valuable contract to them and offer VW an equally attractive price to continue to supply them with tyres.

So don't be surprised to see a high proportion of VW cars continuing to come off the production line with Bridgestones fitted.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 02 April 2017, 12:39 »
Highly unlikely: VW will have negotiated and secured a 'competitive' (low) price with Bridgestone to supply tyres for a specific period of time under contract. The fact that VW have launched the facelift Golf won't stop VW fitting Bridgestones, unless the relaunch date of the facelift Golf coincided with the Bridgestone / VW contact expiry date (unlikely) and the contract isn't renewed.

I daresay that when the tyre supply contact comes up for renewal, Bridgestone will do all they can to retain what is undoubtably a valuable contract to them and offer VW an equally attractive price to continue to supply them with tyres.

So don't be surprised to see a high proportion of VW cars continuing to come off the production line with Bridgestones fitted.
Yes, but VW don't just use Bridgestone. They use Pirelli on upgrade alloys. Didn't some of the cars come with Continental tyres factory fitted?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #38 on: 02 April 2017, 12:43 »
Yes there have been plenty of Mk7's on here with Contis - I think on the 19's though. BS's are still most likely though. I guess the Conti's only happen when BS can't supply.

I suspect if you looked at the 17" shod golf's though you'd find something different. Maybe ordering a GTD-Blueline is the cheapest way out :D
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #39 on: 02 April 2017, 13:28 »
It gives me great pleasure to report that the launch GTIs as tested by VW Driver magazine came fitted with Bridgestones.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner