Author Topic: oil consumption  (Read 6118 times)

Offline Robbie89

• Not said much yet
Re: oil consumption
« Reply #10 on: 13 June 2015, 00:53 »
Had to top my oil up at about 5k miles and coolant soon after. Perfect since then
MK7 GTI

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 13 June 2015, 09:24 »
I'm sure there are many factors why some engines use more oil than others but I'm intrigued and what appreciate it if anyone can confirm based on experience. I understand that tolerances will play a part but I did hear many years ago that the main factor is how the car is run in, as this influences the seal between the piston rings and the cylinder bore. This guy also stated that cars with a better level of seal make more power which seems plausible, so if your engine uses oil it is not as efficient and therefore will not make as much power. From my experience, I ran my Civic Type R in very gently and it used oil and always made less power than other cars. Any views?   
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline Snooze

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 13 June 2015, 10:07 »
I'm sure there are many factors why some engines use more oil than others but I'm intrigued and what appreciate it if anyone can confirm based on experience. I understand that tolerances will play a part but I did hear many years ago that the main factor is how the car is run in, as this influences the seal between the piston rings and the cylinder bore. This guy also stated that cars with a better level of seal make more power which seems plausible, so if your engine uses oil it is not as efficient and therefore will not make as much power. From my experience, I ran my Civic Type R in very gently and it used oil and always made less power than other cars. Any views?   

Well every car is different and there are no hard and fast rules it would seem. I was gentle on my engine for the first couple hundred miles, but after asking the Stealer about running in, he said there was no need as the engines are already run in. So I have been giving it a bit more beans and it seems to be loosening up a bit now. I've only done about 600 miles so a little way to go yet. Oh and no oil used yet unsurprisingly!
2015 Mk7 Golf Gti 3dr Manual, Carbon Steel Grey, Michelin PS4's

Offline GeoBog

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 13 June 2015, 16:56 »
I've had my car 2 weeks and I'm checking my oil every week for the first couple months. It's good practice to check your oil once a month once run in.

I would never leave it till my oil light came on. Damage has already been done by then.

Being in the run in period it is mandatory to check it every week. When mine was in the run in period last year I was checking it every weekend and the level was always between max and min on the dipstick.

I've topped up today and it took 0.5L to show up on the dipstick at max level. Considering that this engine takes 5.7L of oil, don't see how 0.5L missing does any damage.
2020 VW T-Cross SEL
2020 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300
2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
2007 Renault Megane 2
------------------------------------------
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 13 June 2015, 17:40 »

7 new TDIs in a row and the only one that used oil between services had a real thirst for it - a litre in it's first 350 miles, another litre 350 miles later and 1L per 1000 miles thereafter. It was run in on motorway miles - it did 750 miles sat at 80mph within it's first 800 miles. I would never baby a car again on the run-in - lots of variety and don't be afraid to give it a bit of stick (up to 75% throttle) when the oil is warm.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline markheinrich

• Just got here
« Reply #15 on: 14 June 2015, 14:41 »
Thanks to all for your insights. Am no longer concerned that my GTI may simply be giving me false readings as to its oil consumption. What about coolant consumption. Same thing - my car's coolant level doesn't seem to have budged in the 3,800 miles since I took delivery. In fact, the level is ABOVE the maximum recommended by the VW manual. Do dealers ignore such instructions?? Cheers. Mark

Offline Snooze

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 14 June 2015, 18:05 »
Thanks to all for your insights. Am no longer concerned that my GTI may simply be giving me false readings as to its oil consumption. What about coolant consumption. Same thing - my car's coolant level doesn't seem to have budged in the 3,800 miles since I took delivery. In fact, the level is ABOVE the maximum recommended by the VW manual. Do dealers ignore such instructions?? Cheers. Mark

Ha ha as regards coolant level I'm guessing it doesn't matter if it's over max. My cars have always been over max when I've bought them from stealers. My coolant level is a little below max now after 2 weeks of ownership.

Offline AndyG

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 14 June 2015, 19:57 »
What's the concensus about when to check the oil,cold engine or warmed up?I was going to check mine just now but 1 hour after a drive the oil temperature hasn't come down much, I was going to check it cold but is this correct?
On another note,mine only takes a few miles a lot less than my mk6 to get to running temperature no time at all.
Golf 7R,DSG,5 door White,leather,rear camera.

Offline TwoSheds

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 14 June 2015, 20:40 »
I check mine as per what VW say:

" To ensure that the engine oil reading is correct, park the car on a level surface with the engine at operating temperature .
  Switch off and wait a few minutes for the engine oil to flow back into the sump "

Offline Snooze

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 14 June 2015, 20:47 »
Or you can just check it cold? Never heard of checking oil when engine is warm, the oil will be all around the engine so you won't get an accurate reading  :shocked: