Author Topic: EA288 2.0 TDI 184PS Development thread..  (Read 95173 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: EA288 2.0 TDI 184PS Development thread..
« Reply #290 on: 26 February 2015, 22:40 »
VCDS won't be able to touch the throttle maps within the ECU. Only a remap could do that  :wink:

That's not right,  dtuk say a pedal box is like the sport button and both are modifying the amount of oomph that's transmitted electronically on a fky by wire throttle. 

When you press your standard mk7 mode button and choose sport,  you don't get a ecu remap,  you just get a different input range on the pedal.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #291 on: 27 February 2015, 06:18 »
Out of interest what would happen if you got a remap and used a DTYK box? Would it not work properly?

Never tried to combine both and I certainly wouldn't recommend it!!

Most likely the car will put you in limp mode  :undecided:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #292 on: 27 February 2015, 06:19 »
VCDS won't be able to touch the throttle maps within the ECU. Only a remap could do that  :wink:

That's not right,  dtuk say a pedal box is like the sport button and both are modifying the amount of oomph that's transmitted electronically on a fky by wire throttle. 

When you press your standard mk7 mode button and choose sport,  you don't get a ecu remap,  you just get a different input range on the pedal.

What controls that then???  :huh:

If it was doable via VCDS why bother with a pedal box at all??

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #293 on: 27 February 2015, 09:22 »
Well, there are two ways of changing things that are digitally controlled:

1) Change the software/configuration of one of more components to use/send different values - could be via flashing something or just setting a register value if the thing has an interface you can mess with.

2) intercept the signal between components and mess with it

The usual engine mapping for more power is what we normally associate with this, which is achieved by a flashed computer for #1 and a box for #2.

I'm just wondering if there is a half way house where a setting can be changed rather than a whole software rewrite.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #294 on: 27 February 2015, 12:30 »
All the sport button does is switch to an alternate throttle map within the ECU

VCDS can acess some things but I've never seen anything to do with throttle mapping.  You can monitor the pedal position but thats about it

You could play about with the throttle maps but by the time you get it right you just as well map it and get the best of both worlds

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #295 on: 27 February 2015, 16:31 »

If the VW Sport throttle response made as big a change to the accelerator response as the steering Sport setting did then there would be no need for a PedalBox.
Alas the VW accelerator response is pants in all its settings and the PedalBox makes a huge difference to the drivability of the car.
It doesn't alter the ECU settings in any way, merely amplifying the throttle pedal position signal. Unfortunately as Rhyso says (and he's a man who would know if any of us would) there is no way to alter this via VCDS than anyone has found yet.
There's always someone who will come along and say "just press the pedal harder" but that misses the point entirely.
Try one, I doubt you'll ever go back.
I've had one of these devices on my mk5, two mk6's and now one on my mk7 and can say totally honestly that I think the car feels like a limp wet lettuce to drive when its disconnected. It was the first thing I added to the car.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #296 on: 27 February 2015, 21:18 »
So would just adding a pedal box to a non-mapped/boxed GTD make a lot of difference? I don't often hit the "sport" mode, but I did tonight just to have a think about this thread and it does make quite a bit of difference IMHO (not just steering or DCC either but definitely throttle).

Also, with the pedal box does the eco/normal/sport throttle changes still change? I assume it would because its just screwing with the pedal signal rather than being further integrated with the various systems.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #297 on: 27 February 2015, 21:28 »
I run one on an otherwise standard GTI and love it.
It means (for a GTI at least) you can leave the settings on normal so the soundaktor doesn't sound too crap and still have a responsive throttle pedal (as responsive as you want it as it has heaps of adjustments) so the car feels a lot more light footed and eager.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #298 on: 27 February 2015, 21:49 »
Sounds interesting mate, are they easy to fit?

I guess something like that isn't insurance notifiable?

PS I wish in the mode settings you could have a slider for how much soundaktor to have or even a on/off setting. Its fun sometimes (like tonight, I was enjoying the fake snarl from my oil burner lol) but being able to select it would be nicer.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #299 on: 27 February 2015, 22:05 »
I'm not 100% on the insurance side as at the end of the days it is a modification.
When I phoned my insurer the guy on the other end was baffled as to what it was so said he'd put a note on the system to the effect of it being "like an engine chip but with zero horsepower gain, so no charge to you"

It's a ten minute job to fit the PedalBox.
Unscrew a couple screws under the dash, unplug, plug in, route cable behind carpet and under dash to let the controller live in the storage box by your knee. Screw screws back and you're done.

The soundaktor can be adjusted via VCDS but obviously that's not something you can easily do on the fly!

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner