Author Topic: Opinions Please  (Read 6638 times)

Offline mattc69

• Not said much yet
Opinions Please
« on: 01 September 2012, 20:58 »
I'm after a little more 'punch' out of my 140 golf and I'm toying withe the idea of getting a tuning box from the likes of chip express which are in the region of £400. Does anyone on here have experience of them or a remap ?? What I don't want is an undriveable power house that spins in 1st, 2nd and third and burns the clutch out in a few thousand miles. Like I said I'm just after a little more punch through the gears. Any feedback or suggestions would be welcome, I'm from the South Wales area for reference.

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
Re: Opinions Please
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2012, 21:15 »
I thort about tuning boxes at one point, I liked the fact that you can connect and disconnect the box as and when you please and original map(factory) wud still be there...so when it came to service, warranty work at dealers they wudnt have a clue as these boxes are(surposable) undetectable...

Have a read
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #2 on: 02 September 2012, 16:21 »
What year is your Golf on?? I might be able to help if its an earlyish MK6 and the price is nowhere near £400  :wink:

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2012, 16:44 »
What year is your Golf on?? I might be able to help if its an earlyish MK6 and the price is nowhere near £400  :wink:

Matt - Go with Rhyso, he knows his stuff
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline mattc69

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2012, 21:25 »
Thanks for the replys guys. My golf is a 2009 with 29000 on the clock. What sort of price are we looking at ??

Took a look at the DTUK website - some interesting reading.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2012, 21:44 »
Thanks for the replys guys. My golf is a 2009 with 29000 on the clock. What sort of price are we looking at ??

Took a look at the DTUK website - some interesting reading.

Cool. Chances are your ECU is not protected  :smiley:

I can do that for £150  :wink:  did one last week and the owner was grinning like a cheshire cat  :grin:

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2012, 23:39 »
Surely that price is to good to refuse... :cool:

Offline mattc69

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 03 September 2012, 21:33 »
Yeah can't argue with that, the price is real good  :smiley: just got a couple of questions/concerns about the remap.

How aggressive is the remap, as like I said I don't want to burn the clutch out in a few thousand miles as I just want a bit of extra punch.
Where is the remap done ?
How long does it take ?
Does it affect the DPF ?
Anything else I forgot !!

Thanks,

Matthew.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #8 on: 03 September 2012, 22:23 »
At your home as I travel to you  :smiley:

The map is not aggressive; the throttle response is greatly improved so you will have to retrain your right foot a little  :wink:  Clutches burn out due to people not changing into the right gear and loading up the engine i.e planting their foot at 40mph whilst in 6th gear  :nerd:

Whole process takes about an hour including diagnostics where i make sure the car is fit and healthy. If i find any problems I will advise you and not remap the car until you sort them  :smiley:

Nope; as long as you are not constantly doing short start / stop journeys. The DPF system on the newer engines is greatly improved and they dont suffer the problems of the older engines  :smiley:

There is an outside chance your ECU is protected which would mean an ECU out job.  If that's the case then currently I can't map it but even if i can't I don't charge you  :smiley:

Thats about it really  :smiley:  feel free to email or call me; number is on my website. Just click the pic under my post  :smiley:

Cheers
Rhys
« Last Edit: 10 September 2012, 13:20 by Rhyso »