Author Topic: Now this is fuel economy (best yet )  (Read 21954 times)

Online ajmoir36

• I live here
Re: Now this is fuel economy (best yet )
« Reply #20 on: 10 June 2012, 09:15 »
cruise all the way.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 11 June 2012, 08:21 »
cruise all the way.

Cruise is good for keeping your speed down, therefore saving fuel, but a gentle right foot will save you more. It's all about conservation of momentum and antisipation. Rolling down hills then lightly building up momentum towards the bottom to carry you up the other side with the least effort. Cruise control can't read the terrain like you can.

Drive the car like you would casually ride a bicycle for best fuel ecconomy.
« Last Edit: 12 June 2012, 08:52 by dubber36 »
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 11 June 2012, 16:53 »
cruise all the way.

Cruise is good for keeping your speed down, therefore saving fuel, but a gentle right foot will save you more. It's all about conservation of momentum and antisipation. Rolling down hills then lightly building up momentum towards the bottom to carry you up the other side with the least effort. Cruise control can't read the terain like you can.

Drive the car like you would caually ride a bicycle for best fuel ecconomy.

Or left :wink: it's DSG and I only use the one foot to drive...

Thanks for the tips..
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline ScottA

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 12 June 2012, 16:08 »
cruise all the way.

Cruise is good for keeping your speed down, therefore saving fuel, but a gentle right foot will save you more. It's all about conservation of momentum and antisipation. Rolling down hills then lightly building up momentum towards the bottom to carry you up the other side with the least effort. Cruise control can't read the terain like you can.

Drive the car like you would caually ride a bicycle for best fuel ecconomy.

Or left :wink: it's DSG and I only use the one foot to drive...

Thanks for the tips..

Have you tried left foot braking? It makes a boring day very interesting indeed  :smiley:

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 12 June 2012, 17:23 »
How does left foot braking work in a drive by wire car? Whenever I've tried it the ESP says "??????WTF??????" and the revs disapear, dispite my right foot pushing the throttle through the floor. In the Mk2 however... :evil:
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline ScottA

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 13 June 2012, 00:05 »
How does left foot braking work in a drive by wire car? Whenever I've tried it the ESP says "??????WTF??????" and the revs disapear, dispite my right foot pushing the throttle through the floor. In the Mk2 however... :evil:

It doesn't. I just find it really hard to regulate the pressure with my left foot as it's used to stamping the clutch down so I nearly go through the windscreen, hence the "very interesting" day  :laugh:

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 14 June 2012, 00:15 »
I have a DSG cus I suffer with a disability that affects the right side of my body, and is the sole reason I only have a auto license...Oh happy days lol

I did try a manual before taking my license, it was in a car park at night with no other car about luckily and I either put far to much gas on or not enough, it was quite funny tho as I nearly hit a lamp post lol...

Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline Ginge 35Edition

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 15 June 2012, 21:00 »
Drove bevs cab today and smashed 65mpg over six miles during rush hour, very impressed!

Offline Viking

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 15 June 2012, 21:27 »
You need to be quoting miles per tank for a valid comparison. Fill the tank, reset the trip drive as far as you can, post pics of the trip and mpg readouts.  :wink: Quoting figures for traveling to work, but not for traveling back again are a little misleading.

I cant drive sensibly for that long  :grin: thats over 600 miles  :shocked:

Did 900 miles in my old Bora, but as you say it's about 600 miles I get at the moment in the Jetta (Mk5, 2.0ltr Sport) But that's without really trying and the wife driving mostly.

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 15 June 2012, 23:09 »
Mines starting to loosen up very nicely and I'm seeing good figures with just town and top start driving, looking forward to the Devon trip on Sunday...