Author Topic: Overseer - '97 Mk3 16v  (Read 9097 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Overseer - '97 Mk3 16v
« on: 22 April 2005, 12:04 »

:cool:
« Last Edit: 15 June 2005, 15:08 by Overseer »
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Overseer

• I live here
Re: Overseer - Mk3 16v
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2005, 12:09 »
Overview

Stock-ish black 3 Door MK3 16v GTI with subtle cosmetic mod's and ICE.

Specification

Mechanical

what hasn't broken? list to come.. LOL
this has held back wheels etc.. :(

Outside

3 Door shell in LC9Z  'Black Magic' aka Metallic Black
new plain number plates which are stuck on (no bolt holes) for a smooth/clean look
Factory fitted tilt+slide sunroof
Stock 15s.

Lighting

Front Indicators and Fogs updated to Smoked ones.
Rear light cluster was smoked from factory as were side repeaters

Inside

Air-Conditioining
Factory fitted black leather interior with heated seats
Stock leather steering wheel
Chrome gear surround (bling :P)

ICE

Clarion MP3 Headunit
Hard to find.. Fischer CD holder
Interior speakers remain stock
Currently Alpine AMP running 2 8 Inch Rockford Fosgate sub's in a custom enclosure

Plans

Depending on time

- install false floor in trunk with hinge for spare wheel access + storage + straps to hold skateboard :D

- mod spare wheel well so stuff doesnt rattle...

- storage for skateboard tools, spare bulbs, electric tyre pump etc

- stealth mount amp in false floor (behind hinge position) with ventilation. maybe smaller AMP than current.

- stealth box a single sub on the passenger side behind the wheel arch, possibly a 10.

- install ciggie lighter socket for fridge and/or voltage inverter power in boot. socket to be part of stealth panel (new?) sub mounted in.

- set up split charge system. power amp and 12v socket from this instead of from the main battery.

Depending on availability..

- Source MK3 Anniversary Gear Knob

- Aerial needs attention as its a bit tired - done!

Depending on funds..

- A set of anniversary 16" wheels

Depending on when can be arsed..

- Interior mats need replacing with a decent set.

« Last Edit: 23 July 2005, 22:25 by Overseer »
Used to have a '97 MK3 16v GTI 3dr in 'Black Magic'... now have a '55 Civic Type-S...

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 14 June 2005, 12:45 »
more pics etc coming soon...  for now check the gallery here >> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/gallery/index.php?cat=11433 :cool:

haven't had time to do the history yet but here is a basic run down of calamities so far...

- when i got it i got the cam belt replaced (no it didnt break)  also did front discs and pads at the time..

- coil pack went, starter went a day later

- had idling problems which kept the idle high that made it fail an MOT.. partially sorted (enough to get through MOT)  by replacing brake servo line and also a vacuum connection coming off the front of the manifold by the conenction for the ISV (idle stabilisation valve) was blank off and should have gone into the CVV (crankcase ventilation valve)

- further idling probs and a coolant leak. ISV replaced with one from a scrappy, a vacuum leak and coolant leak found right next to each other right at front of engine.

- new rear pads and bearings recently..

all engine related issues are now sorted.

- exhaust broke.. replacement wasnt fitted too good..

am going to continue from the post that follows this one with updates dated as they happen, and update it with more detail and dates as time goes on. for history

« Last Edit: 15 June 2005, 15:14 by Overseer »
Used to have a '97 MK3 16v GTI 3dr in 'Black Magic'... now have a '55 Civic Type-S...

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 14 June 2005, 12:49 »
History

(previous history to come)

13th June '05

Revisited place that had fitted exhaust.

(1) It still knocked a bit. Had discovered that if i got under the car and put one of the supports for the back box back in the rubber mounting it would stop the knocking until it fell out again.. however the exhaust is fitted too far forwards

(2) this misfitting of the exhaust has melted my rear bumper a bit.

They have refitted the exhaust right, and added some spacers etc.. AND offered to pay for a new rear bumper without me having to ask.
I have to get them some quotes for the repairs from a few places and they will sort it out.

On a lighter note. After having been camping this weekend just now the idea of a split charge set up is more appealing. for both entertainment and lighting reasons. False floor idea however isn't looking so good now, but stealth speaker maybe..

28th June '05

I noticed in the last week that there was a clunk when opening the drivers door. It turned out that the bolts that go into the door had come loose.  Upon tightening these last night I discovered that a rattle i'd long suspected to the be the under engine bash plate had actually disappeared! Bonus! :)

5th July '05

I won a new aerial on ebay the other day since mine was all perished and bits of rubber were falling off on the lower bendy bit. bonus its one with an extra wrap of wire around the outside. :)

18th July '05

An Air-con recharge has been on the cards for a while now. Finally got around to doing it.
Some places offer a flat fee.. However this can be a rip-off.. The 2 I tried locally were 70 quid flat fee. (one was plus VAT too)

The garage I just got mine done at was £50 plus however much coolant is added.

Included in this they also ran pressure and leak checks.

The whole process took about an hour.

Grand total for today. £66.19.

23rd July '05

Last weeked I took the old man out to halfrauds to get something for his Merc. While there I picked up 2 sets of wiper refills. (funny how they try and push those the full sets so well and hide these..). In total this was enough for 4 blades. So i had enough to do the fronts and the rear leaving me one spare. Fitting the refills to the old holders took a total of about 20 minutes. Only tools needed were a pair of needle nose pliers and a decent pair of scissors.  Now I know exactly when all the wiper blades were last done and hopefully they'll work better too.

4th August '05

Noticed 2 nights ago that the night illumination for the heater dials was gone so today i took it apart and ventured to halfrauds to find a replacement. Bulb #286 is the one you need and it cost me £1.39.

Its a pretty simple job.. take out the ash tray and pop off the cover that goes around the dials. Then there are 4 screws holding the dial unit in place and a further two holding the ashtray/other buttons part in place. There is a white shroud behind the central dial popping that off reveals the bulb surrounded by a green tiny thingy.

12th August '05

Lost an Ebay auction last night for a cheap rear bumper. (Can't be arsed to lose the car to a body shop etc etc).
I only need the very lowest part of the rear bumper.. so no spraying needed.

However noticed another on there and the seller said he was breaking 2 MK3 GTIs. Since he only had 1 listed I called him about the other and negotiated 40 quid all in including shipping.

The guy deals in/breaks a lot of VW stuff along with servicing too and knows his stuff well. His company is called PW Cars and based in Pembrokeshire. His number is 01437 563793. (His ebay ID is philphotos)

Should be here in the middle of next week.

p.s. the ebay auction i "lost" went for 25 quid with 25 quid shipping.. so i've saved a tenner.

12th Sept '05

MOT day today. (£40.00).. It Passed, but it shouldn't have!

No problems with the idle during the emissions test this time round.

The only problems highlighted were that both the front tyres although not illegal are very close to being so. So I have had those replaced with Toyo Proxes T1-S at lunchtime. £89.00 for a pair fitted and balanced.

Also, it should have failed on one of the rear wheel bearings. I had both sides replaced a few months ago along with the rear pads. The MOT guy made me promise to get that sorted, but let it pass. So i'll get that sorted soon too.

17th Sept '05

Tightened up the drivers side rear wheel bearing with the old man today. Cost £0.00.  :cool:

p.s. Loving the Toyo Proxes.

27th Sept '05

The dipstick handle broke ages ago.. feared how much one would be from VW.
Bit the bullet and it turned out to be £7.32 for a complete replacement, not just the handle!  :cool:

« Last Edit: 27 September 2005, 10:55 by Overseer »

Offline Overseer

• I live here
Re: Overseer - '97 Mk3 16v
« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2005, 10:55 »
16th May '06

no updates for a while.. things have been running pretty well..

- about 3 weeks ago a neighbor reversed into the drivers door. it went into the bodyshop yesterday.  i'm also getting the new rear bumper i got from ebay sprayed at the same time. this means hhe body will be sorted. luckily he only hit the drivers door panel, not either of the quarters. oh and he's been wonderful about it. :)

- just after it was hit i got it serviced for the summer. this included a brake fluid change.

- once the car is back from the bodyshop am going to "black in a flash" all the black trim.. not sure that i should give it a good thorough wash/wax until the doors had a week to dry properly even though it should be ok.

- still a slight niggle with the exhaust rattling. as part of the service they (performance driven) fixed the cat heat sheild rattle by using a jubilee clip. i've discovered myself that the other rattle is due to the rod from the back box popping out of one of the rubbers. i have a new pair of rubbers (i figure nearly 10 years of forces on both aint very good..) which i'll try to do once the car is back.

- another problem appears to be on its way in, this is the well known ingnition switch problem.. its already booked in for the 22nd may to be looked at.

- i also want to get 2 chrome end bits for my exhaust to tidy it up.. the stock (but pattern) back box on is twin 47mm i think..

once all the above is sorted i'll have the car back, undented, nicely and all nicely serviced and reliable for the summer and beyond.. (famous last words eh?)..

2nd June '06

Was disappointed when I got the car back the other week.. The colour match wasn't good.. paint had dust in places.. and a few scratches.. wasn't impressed. The only non-paint issue was the fit of the door would let air noise in over 50..

It went back in tuesday and i got it back today. Looks a lot lot better this time. gonna drive up the motorway a little it after work to check the door seal is sorted now too. If not I can pop in and they'll sort.

If everythings good this time i've got the twin tail pipe chrome to put on to tart things up

oh and despite being told it was the ignition switch by a break down guy.. it was a dodgy battery.. apparently totally the wrong one had been in my car since i got it. its been fine for a couple weeks since having that sorted.

exhaust system completely aligned when it went in (as i gave them new mounts) everythings fine now..

p.s. The Mondeo I had as a loaner was ewww!!

5th June '06

Car's def done right this time around. Shame they didn't do it right first time as they won't get a recommendation now. Unless someone wants to save money.

Gave it a good wash, hoover, window clean, trim blacking etc etc over the weekend. Only need to leather treat the seats now.

Have also put on the chrome tail pipe bling..

Looking tidy now. happy  :grin:

« Last Edit: 05 June 2006, 10:44 by Overseer »

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 02 June 2006, 16:53 »
(updated)

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 27 November 2008, 08:56 »
want to update this sometime...

gone are false floor plans.. now have nice alu a box that contains pump/tools etc..

new car stereo after the previous facia broke somehow.. have virtually the same model head unit again, but a USB storage MP3 based variant with all tunes on a 4gb memory stick :)

have also fitted a stealthboxz with w 10" infinity perfect 10vq sub, and matching amp which is on the boot floor in a novel way..

.which also means i can fit my pushbike, or grindbox in the car, and have more boot space :)

other than that.. had a gearbox refurb.. another new exhaust which was fitted properly, a new radiator (turns out was losing coolant under load.. so thats where it was going!)..

been a rough 2 years for the old girl. but finally i think its sorted :)

i'm also putting a lot more miles on it now as my missus lives 20 miles away and i do that journey a fair bit, plus all the skate excursions.
« Last Edit: 27 November 2008, 09:00 by Overseer »