Author Topic: Trog's Mk3 8v - Parts from America!  (Read 36974 times)

Offline trog_nfs

• I live here
Trog's Mk3 8v - Parts from America!
« on: 25 March 2011, 16:19 »
Hi Chaps,

Joined the forum just after Christmas last year when I bought my new car, and have finally got my act together to put a thread together.

Little bit of history:

I began my golf obsession with my first car, a 1994 1.4 Mk3 Golf "Match". It was my first forray into dubs and and the modifying scene in general. I made lots of mistakes with that car, but learnt from them all, plus it helped me develop a few basic mechanical skills.
I've put a picture up of her for you guys tojudge ridicule look at

Unfortuneately, the first engine blew its headgasket, and when the head was off, we noticed it was knackered!
Then a year later, the oil pump gave up the ghost in the replacement engine.
Think you can guess the outcome of that...

Anyway, back to the present....

I scraped together the very limited funds I could get, and bought a 1997 8v GTI.
This is what she looked like in the advert.

Was clean, all electrics worked, and had electric everything which quite frankly was a novelty I am yet to tire of.

However, sods law kicked in, and I have spend the last few months repairing the stupid thing.
It needed:
Front and side coolant flanges
Expansion tank
Thermostat
Radiator
Both drive belts
Service
Cambelt - next on my list
Had two slow punctures and needed tyres

Having bankrupted myself buying the car in the first place, these things made me a bit annoyed.

Any road, she's now running properly, and thanks to some gorgeous weather today, I cracked on with the parts I had lying around from my old car to tidy her up.

The last owner had removed the front fogs and replaced them with battered reflectors, so I shoved on the crystal set my old car had. I also had a go at doing Anniversary-esque pinstriping in blue, and I'm quite pleased with the results.

Next was the obligatory Eurowagens splitter

I had some model paint lying around, so I joey'd the headlights

Very pleased with the results

To sort the punctures problems, I found some VR6 BBS's on Fleabay with decent tyres left on them, and as advantage, they had been refurbed black (I have always wanted black multispokes)

Few little bits to brighten up the interior:

Overall, I'm happy with the results, but there's always more work to do

Next time:
Debadged FK grill - waiting for paint
New rear bumper - what ever numpty had the car before clearly had issues:
Looks like a cutout was made for a tow-ball in the rear bumper, and glued back badly. The worse part is that it had been painted 3 times on the black parts. Top layer is flaky black paint, underneath all that is blue paint?? And under that is the original black textured plastic, ruined.
I have a bumper, but it needs painted (couldn't find a decent fjord blue one anywhere)

I've also drilled the airbox and run a cold air feed from the bumper grill, but forgot to get a pic of that one.
« Last Edit: 12 September 2012, 14:23 by trog_nfs »

Offline VR6_Wherry

• Forum addict
Re: Trog's Mk3 8v
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2011, 16:23 »
I think i prefer the first one  :lipsrsealed: :grin: :grin:

I love the pin stripe in blue, looks uber cool!  :cool:

Get it on it's ar$e next!  :tongue:

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 25 March 2011, 16:26 »
Looks pretty tidy mate, and love the colour! also as mentioned, pinstripe looks really good and slightly different. Good work!
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline trog_nfs

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 25 March 2011, 16:34 »
My next big purchase will be a way of lowering it.

I'm undecided so far, as my old car had cheap coilovers on it, and it looked really good low, but the ride got worse and worse, untill they had been on two years and were harder than a diamond in an ice storm!

As its my daily, probs end up with eibachs and boge shockers if I can get the funds together

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #4 on: 25 March 2011, 20:48 »
Looking good, lowering needed asap.  :smiley:

Offline stow1985

• I live here
  • 'when im cleaning winders'
« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2011, 22:09 »
Like it!!

love the wheels, i want some... :grin:
GOLF GTI MK3 2LTR 8V-MATT BLACK-WORKHORSE

Window cleaning: www.marcstow.vpweb.co.uk

Offline trog_nfs

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 08 April 2011, 14:09 »
Just a small update.

Just about to move house, so things with the golf have moved slowly, but I have an ever expanding pile of parts in my room.
These include:

Right Click remote central locking kit
Tinted side repeaters
Steering column protective boot
Rear bumper
FK Grill
Some bits from lazylunatic
Rocker cover gasket

On order:
BMW Wiper arm and cover - win!

Thanks for looking

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #7 on: 08 April 2011, 19:29 »
Good effort so far.

Offline trog_nfs

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 25 April 2011, 16:53 »
Decided to take advantage of the lovely weather this weekend, dug around in the boxes upon boxes lying in the garage and found my tool kit.

My first task was to remove the redundant alarm that had been deactivated some time ago. I knew it had one as there was a sigma siren under the bonnet and a white plug behind headlight switch.

Looking at the date on it, looks like it might have been a dealer fit, as to be fair, it was done very well, and was dated 1997, which is when my car was first registered.

So I started ripping out wires, and before you know it, my car looked like this

My car had a one touch immobiliser put in it a few years ago, and it must have been done by a chimp!
The alarms brain had been removed, but all the wiring was still there and the new immobiliser had been bodged into it. Also, all the wires for the immob are the same colour, which was great fun!
On my voyage into the depths of the car, I also found an old 90s handsfree kit, which had also been removed, but all the wiring was still present. Why can't people finish a job properly?

So much swearing and scuffed knuckles later:

And the good news is the immob still works!

Offline trog_nfs

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 25 April 2011, 16:59 »
Spent today putting in the rclick remote central locking kit, which is working to unlock and lock the car, but doesn't work with total closure? Strange.

I did get round to fitting my BMW rear wiper. Removing the wiper altogether isn't an option to me, do too many motorway miles in all weathers.
Also painted my rear badge black, and lost the GolfGTI badge from the back. LL is knocking my something up to go in its place, so watch this space.

I've got some pressed "legal" plates on their way, and some plate surrounds too.

Cheers