Author Topic: 1993 MK3 Golf(VRT Engine build time!!)*UPDATED 17/3/13*  (Read 119454 times)

Offline LowlifeDubber

• I live here
Spose id best do one of these to document the life and times of Potter.Originaly bought for my missus when she passed her test last year (as i got banned while january2011) ,as it was sat on the drive i decided to tidy him up as it was a mess.As it happens the more i did the more i liked it so ive just bought her  a Puma a year on and im gunna keep it for myself.
Gunna build a vr6 supercharged lump up over the coming months and get it sprayed

1993 Mk3 Golf 1.8 Driver (abs) 90 raging horses

How i bought it October 2009.

So i started off with a Bonrath 2 slat grill.Also sourced a new bonnet in the right colour.

Original splitter had to go!

This is betterer!

Obligatory shiny tax disc holder!I also used some Cold cathode tubes under each dash footwell and wired it up to the door pin switches so when you open the door they lihght up the footwells.(no pics yet)

Temp New rims (Team Dynamics-Swords)To get rid of the horrible O.Z Polaris.

Then painted the clock needles red and put some red led lights in along with a Lockwood white dial kit!

Ignore the horrible"ive just ram raided Halfrauds" mats but i got some chrome door handles,billet alloy window winders,wolfsburg gear knob,locking pins,heater dials,also a leather handbrake and gear stick gaiter.

During this time i stuck some Infinity components in the front some infinity 6x9s in an MDF Stealth shelf a 7" motorised dvd player with satnav and tv built in and also a 15"jbl sub in the boot along with a jbl amp running in tri mode for the components and the sub.(no pics)

Then it was mot time and emissions were high so serviced it put new top mounts on cv boot,discs on front,wishbones on the front and slave cylinder on the back.

Next it was coilover time so flogged the Apex suspension and wanged on some ebay specials for now,but now im keeping it gunna look for a decent set of weitec coilies)
 gone about 80-90mm all round

How it sits now.

Bought a new steering wheel off Damo so got a boss and painted the wheel.

Horn push and boss

Its fitted now but pics are on the way.

Then she blew the engine to pieces so i had to fit a 86k mile one out of a passat,still an ABS code though.

Now its mine it's going under the knife and im smoothing a spare tailgate and put the number plate recess in the bumper,undecided whether to delete the front indicators and front fogs yet.

Also got some ugrade brakes,still need a few parts but got a full rear axle with roll bar and a set of 280mm for up front to get rid of the crap 239mm solid discs up front.Already uprated the master cylinder to take the new set up and also refurbed the rear bias valve.

All painted now but cant find the pics.Just got to fit when i get the calipers.
Currently the car has a hideous twin upswept dtm so got a nice square affair i like lots.

Its a powerflow but was a larger bore as potter is only 43mm so i made a reducedr out of staino at work and its ready to go on.
So done to date:
new bonnet and lifters
new front splitter
new rims
new led back lights
new mk4 headlights
strutbrace front and rear
full service
coilovers
new indicators and fogs
new siderepeaters
full engine degrease and polish
new cam
new lambda probe
new leather gearshift gator
handbrake gator the same
new wolfsburd gearknob
wolfsburg door handles
walfsburg heater knobs
wolfsburg door pins
vw shoulder pads
smooth wipers
m3 mirrors painted
2 slat bonrath grille painted
neon interior cold cathodes under footwells to come on when you open door.
new plates with potter on for the bird.r
full gearshift linkage renewal
redline mtd gearbox oil
white dials
heater control knobs
Track rod ends
Inner track rod arms
billet window winder handles
Front turret tops and bearings
2 Wishbones
front tie bars
full rear suspension rubber kit
2 new drums
Front engine mount
Richbrook tax disc holder
7" Motorised indash headunit/dvd player
Infinity Reference 6x9s
Infinity Reference 6"components
Full phoenix gold wiring kit
2 Rear slave cylinders
2 rear wheel bearings
Bosch super 4 spark plugs.
camber alignment
15"JBL Sub
JBL GTO4000 amp
Stealth Shelf
Foglight wiring kit.
Relay 36 for light buzzer
Set of coilovers
2 new front turret tops(again)
Front engine mount
Rear engine mount
Sunroof Motor
Distributor cap
Rotor arm
Slick 50 power steering fluid.
New ENGINE!!! 86,000miles old
Clutch
Bosch super 4 plugs
Mobil 1 semi synthetic oil
2 New front ball joints
Both Track rods
Hella quad headlights
VR6 Top suspension mounts
Momo type steering wheel
Momo Steering wheel boss
VW Horn push
vr6 rear axle
vr6 rear disc brake conversion
vr6 front hubs
vr6 front calipers/disc brake conversion.(all yet to fit)
« Last Edit: 17 March 2013, 10:40 by LowlifeDubber »

Offline LowlifeDubber

• I live here
Re: 1993 MK3 Golf
« Reply #1 on: 09 March 2011, 20:13 »
Few pics that i missed out.
Homemade exhaust reducer.

Underfootwell cold cathode tube to come on when doors open.

Freshly painted steering wheel.

New MOMO Gearknob

Sub,amp and freshly fabbed amp rack,stealth shelf and 6x9's

Freshly painted back axle and new rear discs painted up.

Offline LowlifeDubber

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 09 March 2011, 20:15 »
Right for the past few days ive been fannying about installing me stereo its been a bit of a sh!t as it has reciever boxes and masses of wiring that i didnt want to put in ythe boot so i have hid it behind the glovebox and rerouted the wiring to suit.
Ive used all new rca,speaker cables and used 4guage power cable's.
Ive also fitted a second screen in the centre console and for a bit of fun i have hidden a reverse camera under the front numberplate,which is adjustable,this is so i can record races and also see how low oncoming sleeping policeman are before i rip the front splitter off! :lol:

Plan of attack
1st pic of how the box came,masses of wiring and tons of soldering ahead!
Stripped most the dash out in -11c conditions brrrrr you can see the bloody ice in the car!
Reciever box hidden behind the dash but all rca ports still accesible with the removal of under tray.
New ofc speaker cable and 4 guage power cables laid.(seperated of course)
Headunit and centre console screen mounted and you can also see the boot pop button i installed out of a saab 900 turbo for when the totally smoothed tailgate goes on.
All boxed up and working.
Camera mounted and adjusted.
Jobs a gudn!

Offline LowlifeDubber

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 09 March 2011, 20:17 »
Right today it has been change the brakes day.

Swapped the front brake set up from 239mm solid sh!te to 280mm G60 ventedness.
I sourced the MK2 Golf 16v hubs then popped new bearings in and cleaned up and painted.Then got some G60 calipers EBC pads and some Brembo discs.
Also got some goodridge braided hose's.
While i was at it i swapped the top mounts to vr6 ones as there was a bit of a noise,however when i removed the coilovers which are only bloody 6 months old i found out one of them was rattling like a smack addict locked in a cage for a week.
I will be shouting at the manufacturer this week sometime. :lol:

Picture time 8-)

Offline LowlifeDubber

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 09 March 2011, 20:18 »
Right,today ive finally finished the brakes :D
Fitted a new back axle off a MK2 16V to convert from drum to disc.I refurbed the calipers,bought new discs and pads ground the back axle down and fitted new powerflex bushes then painted up!
Picture time :D

Offline LowlifeDubber

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 09 March 2011, 20:20 »
Right,bit of an update as ive finally found the lead for my wankypants camera.

Lights 1st!

Set of headlights number 5,ive finally found some i like.Joe'd Inpro MK4 style with the lower sidelight slightly modded to shine a little VW emblem when lit.
Probably not to everyones taste,but i like it and thats all that matters :lol:

Next up,some new rear lights,again these are inpro ones,they used to have red reflectors and tint inside them,so when new(not by me)they were chopped up,the reflectors and film taken out and then plastic welded back up.
For the problem of having no red lights,i modified the bulb cluster to take staggered red led brake light bulbs and fog light bulbs,then modified the indicator bulb holder to take amber led lights.

Dash lights next,didnt like the standard green and wanted some spangly red ones,i found out that the headlight switch off a VW transporter glows red and is exactly the same as a mk3 one so i bought one of them and hey ho.

Next up was the heater panel,there are many ways of doing this but what i did is wire in some RED electro luminescentc wire,and proceeded to spend 3 hours attatching it to the backside of the heater control panel.
Also as the standard green bulb is used to light all 3 dials,i bought some red led bulbs with built in resistors and soldered 3 of them to go behind all 3 control knobs.
I forgot to take pics of the process like a tit but heres some wanky pics of the finished article.

Did the dash too.All the stuff is dimmable with the existing switch.

Then it was time for an exhaust change as the twin dtm was just plain chav.
Swapped for a nice full stainless powerflow upswept box.

Then i got to work on the rear bumper,as ive smoothed a tailgate i needed to put the numberplate recess in the bumper.
I cut out a MK4 Golf recess out of a bumper,cut a big hole in the spare golf bumper and set about plastic welding.filling.plastic welding.filling plastic welding.filling.plastic welding.filling :lol:
This is the finished product!Im happy as larry with it!

Offline LowlifeDubber

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 09 March 2011, 20:26 »
Well ive finally found myself a paint sprayer im happy with (Daz@Imageworx in Cresswell) so for the past 2 days ive been stripping potter down and making sure i dont need any trim clips and bolts etc,ive finished the tailgate,finished the rear bumper,plated over the siderepeater holes and aerial hole on a new set of wings.

How she is sitting on the drive after a few hours work.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #7 on: 09 March 2011, 21:18 »
Excellent work so far :afro:

Offline LowlifeDubber

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 09 March 2011, 21:29 »
Cheers Wayne,i appreciate it :cool:

Can't wait to get it sprayed now.Dunno what im going to do for the 3weeks or so its gunna be away. :grin:

I suppose id best giver her Pooma some attention :shocked:

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #9 on: 09 March 2011, 21:32 »
What colour are you going for. :smiley: