Author Topic: Sams Scruffy Mk3!  (Read 99771 times)

Offline dragongreengolfgti

• I live here
  • my golf gti mk3
Re: Sams Scruffy Mk3 CL!
« Reply #50 on: 17 September 2010, 22:25 »
glad you got the stereo sorted mate afterall thats the most important thing in a car when i went and bought mine the bloke said it didnt have one in so i took mine with me and installed it before i drove off in it lol plus you can turn it up if you hear any problems going on haha sounds like you got some good plans make sure you keep the thread going with all updates :D im gunna start one of my own soon from when i got mine almost standard so watch this space :D

Offline rcsammy

• Here all the time
« Reply #51 on: 18 September 2010, 00:20 »
Halfords with a tenner, leaver with earth cable/strap and lunch money in your pocket. ;)
really? assumed they wouldnt do stuff like that, cool will pop in tomorrow

Basically... I leave for university on Saturday, so i want the Golf to be running and reliable by the time i go otherwise i may have to take the astra with me
I also want a fully working sound system and all of the paint n stuff on the sides off so it looks half decent  :grin:

Offline rcsammy

• Here all the time
« Reply #52 on: 18 September 2010, 21:10 »
Riight, got a new Earth strap and some battery terminals from halfords and got those fitted... still wont start by itself, last time we fiddled with the earth it improved it but obviously its not the full problem  :rolleyes:

So i then went on to check the starter motor and got a bit confused by the wiring of it, started a thread if anyone can help:
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=166990.0

Also the gear stick problem if anyone can help with that, a guy linked me to a part but im not sure thats the actual part i need and if it is i have no idea how to go about fitting it
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=166633.0

Cheers for the help  :smiley:

Offline rcsammy

• Here all the time
« Reply #53 on: 19 September 2010, 19:35 »
Had a productive day today  :cool:

Got the starting problem sorted again... hopefully thats it gone now
I had the starter motor out of the car so tested the motor and the solenoid and both seemed fine, so i put it in and turned the key and it started... not sure exactly what the problem was but its been fine all day 

So then got my HU wired up properly and my front speakers in
Cant put the rears in yet because the previous owner ripped one of the speaker mounts, so ive attempted to bodge it for now

The HU, got it cheap but its still better than what i had in the astra, does everything i need

Front speakers in, Blaupunkts, cant remember the exact model, the stock ones seemed pretty decent but these are a bit better

errr bass?? :lipsrsealed: yeah previous owner again....

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #54 on: 19 September 2010, 20:58 »
Nice to hear its starting ok now..... um... if i were you id run without speaker grilles for now!  :grin:

Offline dragongreengolfgti

• I live here
  • my golf gti mk3
« Reply #55 on: 19 September 2010, 22:52 »
yeah i was gunna say that aswell lol didnt wanna offend you though if that was your artistic skills going on there i always keep the grills off with non standard speakers in :D

Offline rcsammy

• Here all the time
« Reply #56 on: 19 September 2010, 23:42 »
lol i didnt write that, the guy i bought it off did :rolleyes:

i put the grills back on for 2 reasons, 1 i didnt want the speakers to get bashed by anything, 2 they look a bit blingy for my tastes
i might try the sony speakers in the front anyway, i like the look of those so wouldnt mind leaving the grills off  :grin:

the Sony ones are rated higher watts but lower RMS, whats better? from what i understand watts is how loud they can go and rms is somthing to do with quality/distortion?

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #57 on: 20 September 2010, 01:54 »
lol i didnt write that, the guy i bought it off did :rolleyes:

i put the grills back on for 2 reasons, 1 i didnt want the speakers to get bashed by anything, 2 they look a bit blingy for my tastes
i might try the sony speakers in the front anyway, i like the look of those so wouldnt mind leaving the grills off  :grin:

the Sony ones are rated higher watts but lower RMS, whats better? from what i understand watts is how loud they can go and rms is somthing to do with quality/distortion?

Both are related to power, nothing to do with quality. In a nutshell, speakers bragging High Peak Power are not as good as those rating high RMS.  if your want to know more look somewhere like Here

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #58 on: 20 September 2010, 11:33 »
Good going bud. For the price its awesome! Its on the road, which is the best bit!

Making some great progress. I would keep it white and clean it up, no window tint. Wack on some coilies, get low and save for nice set of wide rims.

Offline rcsammy

• Here all the time
« Reply #59 on: 20 September 2010, 12:06 »
thats the plan :cool: first things are coilovers and a deep splitter, im not decided in tinted windows yet though, i think a light tint on the rears might look nice, tints would be low down on my list though

These 13"s will need new tyres pretty soon so i might see if i can pick up a set of cheap BBS's for now. if not theres a rusted out mk1 golf in a field near me with a mint set of P slots on, i know the guy would sell them but i dont know how much

Still deciding on the side repeaters and indicators/blanks, not sure wether to go clear or smoked