Author Topic: What would you buy if...  (Read 6831 times)

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Re: What would you buy if...
« Reply #40 on: 23 January 2019, 16:40 »
My choice would be a new Ford Focus or Fiesta.....but they are made in Germany now I believe :sad:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #41 on: 24 January 2019, 08:15 »
Does everyone on here HAVE to have a new car?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #42 on: 24 January 2019, 08:45 »
 I but if you can afford it, why not?
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #43 on: 24 January 2019, 09:00 »

Its the one time when my wife doesn't moan at me for having a dirty car.... don't take that moment of peace away from me!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #44 on: 24 January 2019, 13:42 »
It's not about affording it. There are much more expensive used cars should you choose one, plus it can often be cheaper to rent/finance a new car over a given term, than a used equivalent.

It strikes me that most in this section of the forum are serial new car 'buyers' and would never consider anything used and maybe a little more interesting. Perhaps it's the safety net of the warranty, fixed service plans and no MOT? Hardly the ways of an enthusiast.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #45 on: 24 January 2019, 14:19 »
I've had used cars... and old cars....

For me my Golf is reliable transport with manageable fixed costs. Thats why its new and replaced every 3 years.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #46 on: 24 January 2019, 14:41 »
For me it’s simply PCP. While I’m happy to drop 3k and £300 a month on a car, I’m not happy to drain £15-30k out of my savings account for a car. New cars on pcp get manufacturer contributions and reasonable APRs. The TCO over the term is cheaper than buying a 2-3 year old used car of the equivalent model. Plus I have car OCD and I’m incredibly fussy. I don’t want someone else’s mangled alloys or dusty air vents! 😭
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #47 on: 24 January 2019, 16:58 »

My current and previous car were new (admittedly the current was technically second hand as 3 months old but near enough I think for this discussion) but my last one I kept for 12 years, not sure how long I'll keep this one for but it's been over three years now and I'm still very happy with it. I need a reliable car for commuting (as I do shifts) and I use my car for regular UK holidays. I also don't like the last minute pre-holiday mechanical maladies that can occur anymore, not fun! Although yes I kept my last car a long time and therefore I could've bought a secondhand one, with one from new I know exactly what has and has not been done to it which also aids for some peace of mind.

Having said all that, I'm not comfortable with the way cars are going technology wise, much of it to me seems unnecessary and just expensive stuff to go wrong. My next car could well be something older, I'll have to weigh up the pros and cons of the issues I've stated and see how I feel. Now, if I had the space then I would get myself a classic or two as I do like tinkering but so long as they weren't daily drivers :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #48 on: 24 January 2019, 18:28 »
If I couldn’t get a Vw I’d go for the i30N. I’d just have to put up with the harsh ride and hope my teeth don’t fall out.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.