Author Topic: What would you buy if...  (Read 6833 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: What would you buy if...
« Reply #30 on: 22 January 2019, 23:09 »
Managed to get 10.5% discount on carwow for the i30N performance but the finance rate is 5.9%!
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #31 on: 23 January 2019, 00:39 »
Glad I'm not in this boat, but if I was:
1.) Civic Type R and get the dealer to remove the wing (apparently dealers are doing this here in Aus if requested)
2.) i30n.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #32 on: 23 January 2019, 06:35 »
I'd have my testicles removed with a rusty blade rather than have a civic type R. It just looks hideous  :sick:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #33 on: 23 January 2019, 06:37 »
It’s certainly chalk & cheese with the Golf  :grin:
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #34 on: 23 January 2019, 06:44 »
I'd have my testicles removed with a rusty blade rather than have a civic type R. It just looks hideous  :sick:

Where did I put my razor....?  :wink:

I thought so too, but have somewhat changed my mind after seeing it in the metal.  But I'd have to jettison that wing.  I don't love the design, but don't hate it.  I could tolerate the styling for the driving experience.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #35 on: 23 January 2019, 07:48 »
The look of the type-R has grown on me. I don't think I'd utterly reject it like I did when I first saw it.

I've not seen inside one though, not even through the window.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 23 January 2019, 08:43 »
The look of the type-R has grown on me. I don't think I'd utterly reject it like I did when I first saw it.

I've not seen inside one though, not even through the window.

Sat inside one on the Honda stand at the bike show live and must say, the seats are absolutely amazing, and the whole cockpit feels built around the driver. Even more so than my S2000 felt all those years ago..

But from the outside. No, no and no. Wouldn't be taken seriously pulling up to work meetings driving one of those!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #37 on: 23 January 2019, 09:23 »
Sat inside one on the Honda stand at the bike show live and must say, the seats are absolutely amazing, and the whole cockpit feels built around the driver. Even more so than my S2000 felt all those years ago..

But from the outside. No, no and no. Wouldn't be taken seriously pulling up to work meetings driving one of those!

Maybe a wrap might fix that.... like this:

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #38 on: 23 January 2019, 16:26 »
This thread highlights what a crap choice we have if we want a hot hatch and can’t have a German car nowadays.
I’d go secondhand.
Although the i30N is interesting and the Honda could be very tempting if the competition was removed.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #39 on: 23 January 2019, 16:38 »
So if we look at Hot Hatches more broadly, we have cars from:

Renault (EU)
VAG (EU)
Peugeot (EU)
Mercedes (EU)
BMW (EU)
Hyundai (Korea)
Honda (UK ironically)
Suburu (Korea)
Ford (but produced in the EU?)
Mini (ok its BMW but...) UK (for now, who knows soon!)

Did I miss any? Vauxhall don't make one any more but if they did, it would be in the EU...

The logical choice would be a Honda or a Mini