Author Topic: Sooo ..... you decide on a TCR. Do you  (Read 5922 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: Sooo ..... you decide on a TCR. Do you
« Reply #20 on: 23 January 2019, 12:19 »
I think the most interesting thing in the Autogefühl review is that he says how good it is on the racetrack..  Very useful for about 1% of real owners! And how it's firmer and bumpier than a GTI Performance on the road even with DCC. Which consider how crap UK roads are means worse here. So not a great daily driver by the sounds of it.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #21 on: 23 January 2019, 13:31 »
Hard setup = good track times = good Top Gear reviews

But makes a car that most find horrible to drive on the road, especially UK roads!

Particularly noticeable when the Mk7 performance models are such pussy cats to start with.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 23 January 2019, 14:09 »
If it were me, I think a nice low mileage CS and £10k saving sounds rather good :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 23 January 2019, 14:14 »
Red 3dr definitely. Oryx white as a second colour option. No decals.

Agree with AGB about the difficulties of the long doors though, often at work I get parked but then can't exit the car :rolleyes: :laugh: Just in case I'd better add that I'm of a slim build....

Not sure what you're implying here!  :grin: I am suffering with sciatica at the moment and you don't appreciate how much movement is required. I'm thinking about hiring a small child so I can park in the parent/child bays at the supermarket until I'm over this.  :laugh:

Ah, yes, sorry about that, it does seem to be open for a bit of misinterpretation! :embarrassed: :laugh: I just wanted to be sure people didn't assume my difficulties exiting my car weren't down to my love of pork scratchings :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 23 January 2019, 16:23 »
It has to be Pure Grey as it’s the unique signature colour.

I actually like the decals but would be a bit embarrassed by them. But hell, I’d spec them anyway.

3 or 5 door? Hmmmm, as a race car lookalike it really should be a three door, plus the three door looks marginally better. A true GTI should only have three doors really. But having lived with a three door GTI PP I would only consider a three door again if I had a huge garage that allowed me to actually get the doors open enough to get out of the car without grunting and straining like a tennis player during a series of volleys. As for busy public car parks...
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #25 on: 23 January 2019, 16:36 »
For me, the Golf has too high a roof line to look completely right with 3 doors to my eyes.  And them decals are appalling, It made me blush just looking at them  :embarrassed:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 23 January 2019, 16:52 »
A true GTI should only have three doors really.

False. A true GTI is surely a practical hatchback with great handling and performance. Practical = 5 doors.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 23 January 2019, 16:58 »
A true GTI should only have three doors really.

False. A true GTI is surely a practical hatchback with great handling and performance. Practical = 5 doors.

Nah, the original GTI was three door only.
I’m a purist!  :laugh:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 23 January 2019, 18:57 »
Red 3dr definitely. Oryx white as a second colour option. No decals.

Agree with AGB about the difficulties of the long doors though, often at work I get parked but then can't exit the car :rolleyes: :laugh: Just in case I'd better add that I'm of a slim build....

Not sure what you're implying here!  :grin: I am suffering with sciatica at the moment and you don't appreciate how much movement is required. I'm thinking about hiring a small child so I can park in the parent/child bays at the supermarket until I'm over this.  :laugh:

Ah, yes, sorry about that, it does seem to be open for a bit of misinterpretation! :embarrassed: :laugh: I just wanted to be sure people didn't assume my difficulties exiting my car weren't down to my love of pork scratchings :rolleyes:

I did have a little cry into my pillow last night.  :grin: No pork scratching judgement over this way.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 23 January 2019, 19:03 »
It has to be Pure Grey as it’s the unique signature colour.

I actually like the decals but would be a bit embarrassed by them. But hell, I’d spec them anyway.

3 or 5 door? Hmmmm, as a race car lookalike it really should be a three door, plus the three door looks marginally better. A true GTI should only have three doors really. But having lived with a three door GTI PP I would only consider a three door again if I had a huge garage that allowed me to actually get the doors open enough to get out of the car without grunting and straining like a tennis player during a series of volleys. As for busy public car parks...

I agree with you on the colour. Still sure I'd avoid the decals.

My CSS is 3 door and I have reasonably tight tolerances getting into my garage and to protect my doors, I use Kuberth 'Wavepark' wall bumpers. They're really good and better looking than all the competitor products. If that's of any interest. 
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR