Author Topic: Mk6 GTi idles okay, strange noise and cutout p2293  (Read 687 times)

Offline Jamieb7798

• Just got here
Mk6 GTi idles okay, strange noise and cutout p2293
« on: 17 December 2023, 12:54 »
Hey everyone, I have a 2009 mk6 GTi which I was selling, took a deposit and then it cutout two days later. Initially gave me no codes, just wouldn't boost properly and misfired on all 4 cylinders at once before I limped it home. Brought it into town that night for fresh fuel and fuel filter, on the way home it went fully limp and threw a code for p2293 fuel pressure regulator.

I messed around for a few weeks replacing a used fuel pump, found torn pcv and replaced it also with new. Still no luck. Brought it to a mechanic and all he could get was a fuel pressure issue, with none of the sensor readings looking out of the ordinary. He suggested a new fuel pump so bought brand new genuine pump and follower, and fixed original pcv but the noise and cutout still persist.

I'm at my wit's end and hoping someone has experienced something similar as the mechanics only suggestion is that it may be internal and I'll have to start stripping the engine to investigate (meaning a used engine would be more cost efficient unless I take it home and do it myself).

See attached video for the noise. Given the symptoms, I would've thought it was an air issue rather than fuel...

https://youtu.be/vvBbXnTe228?si=2sG6PrfvgI1Ru2p2

Offline david25

• I live here
Re: Mk6 GTi idles okay, strange noise and cutout p2293
« Reply #1 on: 18 December 2023, 07:43 »
Have a look at this thread, where other tests are mentioned

https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/5158/
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline Jamieb7798

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 27 December 2023, 14:14 »
Thanks for this - waiting to get my scan tool back so should be fit to do a bit of data logging tomorrow.

Car will start and idle perfectly fine without noise. Only between say 2.2k and 4.5k revs it makes this squealing noise but doesn't usually happen if engine revs are raised slowly and gradually. If try to floor the accelerator the car dumps fuel and wants to die (but doesn't once accelerator is let off). Strong smell of fuel and fouled (carbon covered) plugs like it's being starved of air. Pulled the airbox off to eliminate clogged air filter system or maf as the problem. Pulled intake pipe off throttle body for same reason. Butterfly valve appears to be operating and some flow through intercooler so turbo must be spinning. Diverter valve is rev G and in visually good condition, pcv was repaired but same fault with new PCV.

Will check the fuel pump control module shortly for any obvious damage because I'm wondering if a lack of low pressure supply could be the cause of the noise in the hpfp..

I also need to check my timing tensioner but from memory it was also the revised version.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #3 on: 27 December 2023, 15:10 »
Try Logging the G40 sensor for the intake Camshaft to see if the unit is getting stuck. The sound you describe i would often jump to the pcv valve BUT without actually being there to diagnosis and actually hearing it to pin point its location its hard to tell. P2293 can also be logged because of intake Camshaft issue so maybe thats a clue, i've heard the variator make similar noises to the pcv so try logging it and see if its that.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.