Author Topic: Exhaust System for TDi  (Read 10750 times)

Offline Phil.O

• Here all the time
Re: Exhaust System for TDi
« Reply #10 on: 06 May 2010, 12:54 »
lol - glad to help :afro:

If you are only getting the downpipe go for the THS Performance one as that comes with a range of adaptor sleeves to fit your current system.  With the Milltek you'll need and adaptor from Jetex so it will work out more expensive

anyone know if there there are any discount codes or anything for THS around?
a work in progress......someday i might think i'm happy with a car....maybe

so far: 40mm Gmax lowering kit, upper and lower S3 strut braces, pipercross panel filter, Smoothed air box and 18" Audi R8 reps

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #11 on: 06 May 2010, 12:56 »
lol - glad to help :afro:

If you are only getting the downpipe go for the THS Performance one as that comes with a range of adaptor sleeves to fit your current system.  With the Milltek you'll need and adaptor from Jetex so it will work out more expensive

anyone know if there there are any discount codes or anything for THS around?

Only for their pancake pipe for the 1.8T.  Give them a ring and mention your a member of various forums / clubs etc and see what they can offer  :smiley:

Don't ask, don't get  :wink:

Offline Phil.O

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 07 May 2010, 12:58 »
downpipe makes the biggest difference on a diesel

You'll be more mid range torque and the power will hold for longer

Read through my build thread and you'll see some graphs from when I first had the downpipe fitted - smoothed the torque curve right out and I gained an average an extra 10bhp across the power band  :smiley:

will the downpipe make any difference if i leave the rest of the exhaust standard?

thinking about a few bits but not sure about funds and things for the moment but the extra power is too good to leave alone......

so far: 40mm Gmax lowering kit, upper and lower S3 strut braces, pipercross panel filter, Smoothed air box and 18" Audi R8 reps

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #13 on: 07 May 2010, 13:05 »
downpipe makes the biggest difference on a diesel

You'll be more mid range torque and the power will hold for longer

Read through my build thread and you'll see some graphs from when I first had the downpipe fitted - smoothed the torque curve right out and I gained an average an extra 10bhp across the power band  :smiley:

will the downpipe make any difference if i leave the rest of the exhaust standard?

thinking about a few bits but not sure about funds and things for the moment but the extra power is too good to leave alone......

I ran mine for a couple of months on the standard exhaust system and the difference was noticeable  :smiley:

Offline Phil.O

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 07 May 2010, 14:25 »
that sounds like a plan then  :smiley:

did you change it over yourself?

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #15 on: 07 May 2010, 14:32 »
that sounds like a plan then  :smiley:

did you change it over yourself?

nope bought and had fitted it by Nick @ R-Tech

Offline asif

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 07 May 2010, 14:40 »
mmmm sounds like a plan for me also, THS it is then when the time comes.

Rhyso I always thought for some reason that you had a full Miltek system from front to back all the way?
MK7 GT Bluemotion Tech TDi

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #17 on: 07 May 2010, 14:45 »
mmmm sounds like a plan for me also, THS it is then when the time comes.

Rhyso I always thought for some reason that you had a full Miltek system from front to back all the way?

Nope - whilst I'm not disputing Milltek's quality I do dispute their pricing lol

I got an equivalent system made with the same quality steel for around £30-£40 cheaper AND I didn't have to travel miles to get it fitted.  It also comes with a lifetime guarantee which is transferable for an admin fee to whoever has the car next  :smiley:  (i'm unaware if Milltek offer this)

Offline asif

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 07 May 2010, 15:17 »
Think i'm gonna start with the downpipe first then see how I get on.

Does the downpipe change the sound at all? Sorry if that is a really dumb question it's just I don;t know the answer to it :grin:
MK7 GT Bluemotion Tech TDi

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #19 on: 07 May 2010, 15:19 »
Think i'm gonna start with the downpipe first then see how I get on.

Does the downpipe change the sound at all? Sorry if that is a really dumb question it's just I don;t know the answer to it :grin:

Yes it does - you'll get like a whistling owl sound as you let of the accelerator.  Sounds annoying but I think it sounds pretty cool  :smiley: