Author Topic: 1990 Golf GTI 16v  (Read 38447 times)

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
Re: Mew: Got another one!
« Reply #40 on: 09 November 2009, 15:17 »
Not so much a fail as a sly dig!  :grin:
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #41 on: 09 November 2009, 15:31 »
either way, factually incorrect, the yellowness was all removed prior to final test drive.  :kiss:

cant understand it mesen but hey isnt my car anymore  :lipsrsealed:

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #42 on: 09 November 2009, 15:36 »
I accept I am not always factually correct but was only aimed at general yellowness!  :grin:

Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #43 on: 09 November 2009, 15:54 »
ah, another generalization.  always used as a get out clause.  :lipsrsealed:

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #44 on: 24 November 2009, 11:28 »
I now have some original headlights sorted, so that will be the front end back to standard spec very soon. I'm also picking up some new shocks tomorrow, which i'll combine with some 40mm springs to bring the ride height back to a level at which i can (attempt to) drive the thing properly :lipsrsealed: My only concern is that with the ride height raised the tyres are going to look a bit gash (45 profiles), but we'll see.

I've decided that the tappets are no longer a priority as such, and that they can wait until after Christmas, when i'll carry out a full service including valve stem seals, cam belt etc etc. They haven't got any worse since I've taken ownership and they don't cause me any isssues.

Depending on how Christmas and work go, i'm going to look into getting my RAs refurbed in the new year, and that'll be the exterior done to the spec that i want.

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #45 on: 24 November 2009, 11:32 »
front top mounts were new not long back - save you buying new ones.  :wink:

agree with you on the 45 profiles, that why you got them ( despite being as new  :cry: )  as they didnt suit the passat. should get some cash back for the rubber mind, i know nick was looking into getting rainsports  :undecided:

just no more looking at other cars and she will stop buzzing for ya  :grin:

oh and any news on the storage front ? :tongue:

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #46 on: 24 November 2009, 12:02 »
front top mounts were new not long back - save you buying new ones.  :wink:

I'm thinking about going for mk3 items so i'm having a look into them. I want to try and do things properly first time with this one.

agree with you on the 45 profiles, that why you got them ( despite being as new  :cry: )  as they didnt suit the passat. should get some cash back for the rubber mind, i know nick was looking into getting rainsports  :undecided:

Tyres will be staying on the G60s i think, will have to see how it looks before i do anything. I don't have photoshop anymore, trying to get to grips with this GIMP, but it's not going well so far

just no more looking at other cars and she will stop buzzing for ya  :grin:

oh and any news on the storage front ? :tongue:

I'm on it :embarassed:

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #47 on: 26 November 2009, 14:02 »
Picked up some Boge Turbo shocks yesterday. Pretty much brand new, complete with standard 16v springs and top mounts for £20.  :smiley:

The guy was going to give them to me for free as it turned out that one of the rear spring top plate things had rusted through, but i would have felt guilty just taking them for nothing, so I gave him £20. Still a bargain though, and only a fiver for a new plate from GSF.

I'm on the hunt for some headlights again, as the ones that i thought i had sorted are now unsorted!

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #48 on: 26 November 2009, 16:04 »
sounds good mate, if you want a nice heated workshop to fit them in let me know  :wink:

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #49 on: 26 November 2009, 16:15 »
That sounds more appealing than on the drive at home :smiley:

It'll hopefully be after xmas but before the MOT. Did the car go through it's MOT with the current suspension setup, or were the springs different back then?