Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2792262 times)

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #5440 on: 27 September 2016, 15:56 »
Wow! Thats an impressive gain from DTUK.... think Graham's going to have to do that :)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5441 on: 27 September 2016, 18:53 »
Looks like a good install job :)

Ta, he did a really good job and trim all intact.

Exactly where I had mine - so it couldn't be seen from the driver's seat, had a cutout on the rim of the domed part of the rear view mirror assembly cover so as not to pinch the cabling. Have you set it up for continuous monitoring? Keep an eye on the heat the front unit is putting out. Definitely the best looking Dashcam form I found for dual channel.

Yes, it's hard wired in with the Power Magic Pro, and set to run for 12 hours when parked up.  That's plenty long enough.  Yeah I mentioned about overheating and he said they've had it on a few units but has tended to be when the cooling vents have become blocked.

It was important for me that itv was a very discreet looking unit.  I looked at the Thinkware F770 but the front camera unit was just too bulky for my liking.  Not cheap but money well spent I think.

My cooling vents definitely didn't get time to clog - I suspect it is the "greenhouse/conservatory" effect of the car interior, especially with the main unit sat directly behind a bit of glass getting a lot of direct sunlight, when it is still running when parked up. Probably not a bother when you are in the car and the windows are open or the aircon is working.

Not so much the vents clogging but apparently a number of people didn't remove the protective plastic from the unit and that was blocking the air vents.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5442 on: 27 September 2016, 19:39 »
^ Definitely removed the bright blue film that protected the unit from scratches in transit before fitting, all vents were clear. It got very hot in operation, and when it started to go the unit emitted a high pitched buzz and the video feed had lots of blotchy purple bleed on it. The unit status female voice went crackly too. If any of those start to happen then your unit is on its way out.

The rear unit didn't get hot at all - I do think the way forward with dashcams is a well ventilated base unit you can keep in a place out of direct sunlight, attached to satellite cameras that stay relatively cool.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline GTD1414

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5443 on: 29 September 2016, 09:28 »
I've just had the 'replace key battery' notification show up.

Question for anyone that knows - If my key battery ran out completely, would I not be able to start my car?

(I have keyless) eg, If the battery ran out would it show up as 'key not detected' like it does when the key is not in the car?

Offline gaurav_aidasani

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5444 on: 29 September 2016, 09:57 »

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #5445 on: 29 September 2016, 10:18 »

Question for anyone that knows - If my key battery ran out completely, would I not be able to start my car?

(I have keyless) eg, If the battery ran out would it show up as 'key not detected' like it does when the key is not in the car?

It's all in the manual. Take plastic key out of keyfob. Use that to remove cover on door handle and open door. Hold keyfob against steering column and push start. :)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #5446 on: 29 September 2016, 11:50 »

It's all in the manual. Take plastic key out of keyfob. Use that to remove cover on door handle and open door. Hold keyfob against steering column and push start. :)

There's no plastic key as the keyless entry keyfob is the same as the normal one - the rest is spot on though. You'll see a logo where the ignition barrel would be on a non keyless car, hold the fob against that and press the start button to start it.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #5447 on: 29 September 2016, 12:05 »
I do wish they would make the fob with the key hidden.
That way when it goes in to be serviced you don't get someone with the key blade out trying to stick it in a non existent hole in the steering shroud.

I've looked about the net to see if one of the other VW cars has a fob similar to the Golf that doesn't have a visible key blade so I can purchase a silicone cover to stop this from happening but haven't found anything yet.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #5448 on: 29 September 2016, 12:29 »
That way when it goes in to be serviced you don't get someone with the key blade out trying to stick it in a non existent hole in the steering shroud.

I've looked about the net to see if one of the other VW cars has a fob similar to the Golf that doesn't have a visible key blade so I can purchase a silicone cover to stop this from happening but haven't found anything yet.

I wonder what the audi keyless fob is like and if it's compatible?

EDIT - nope, looks very similair to the VW one.
« Last Edit: 29 September 2016, 12:31 by Gnasher »
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #5449 on: 29 September 2016, 13:21 »

Yes they do. The new Passat (if keyless) has the fob exactly like that. I'd imagine the new Tiguan does too... and probably the next Golf!

MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.