Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2792318 times)

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #2340 on: 04 June 2015, 12:05 »
That's poor.
I only knew about them as someone else recommended some of their products.
Have you never tried Tardis? I just meet the rep on his local travels and get a 5L container. Its great stuff.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #2341 on: 04 June 2015, 12:14 »
That's poor.
I only knew about them as someone else recommended some of their products.
Have you never tried Tardis? I just meet the rep on his local travels and get a 5L container. Its great stuff.

Never tried tardis but have heard good things about it. How do you apply it, is it a spray solution?

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #2342 on: 04 June 2015, 12:32 »
Yeah just spray and it dissolves in front of you.
Probably the same as most of them
No rubbing required as it just melts the tar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq0rk8MDLYE
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2343 on: 04 June 2015, 12:39 »
Am1w: Well I'm nipping out from work at lunchtime to have a prod at a few used cars' wings and get my oil filter and sump plug. Yes, my doors seem perfectly straight (must've drafted in some Audi craftsmen to build mine  :whistle:) - were you studying my pictures for alignment comparison?

Can't see much from pictures anyway, so no, I was not. Guessed they were fine as you did not mention it.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2344 on: 04 June 2015, 12:59 »
Matt what is the actual positioning that you think is flexible? I've not noticed anything obvious like this on mine and I've recently gave it a deep clean, wax etc.

The elongated bit of the wing that meets the windscreen pillar. The corner that meets the windscreen itself is rock solid, but the opposing corner which meets with the rubber surround of the little window by the wing mirror can pushed to flex quite easily, and was flexing when I was rubbing off the excess sealant after applying the C2V3.

I was down to Benfield to pick up the oil filter and sump plug (£15.44 total! Probably £7 at the Skoda garage if the Octavia VRS Petrol uses the same) - the filter is tiny! Smaller than those 150mL cans of pop that you get on a commercial flight when the trolley comes round. While I was there I was looking at their used stock. Unfortunately they didn't have anything MK7 older than 64 plate to know if these used to be more solid at both sides. For the 3 Golfs I tried, they all had the flex that I describe, including a 15 plate Lapiz R. They actually had 2 lapiz Rs in, both on Cadiz - I think my £800 was well spent as I didn't like it. Another brand new Red R on Cadiz in the collection bay looked fine.

Anyway, was having a bit of a chat with the lad at the parts counter as he's getting a GTD shortly, so spoke about that for a bit. He was asking about the car and told me that they'd had 5 Rs over the past 6 months that required a whole new engine because of turbo failure and the resulting shrapnel buggering it. They have 2 new engines on back order right now for the issue. One of them went under a week old, but that was 6 months ago and they've had turbo revisions since (so he said as he tried to reassure me mine wasn't about to pop!).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2345 on: 04 June 2015, 13:17 »
Matt what is the actual positioning that you think is flexible? I've not noticed anything obvious like this on mine and I've recently gave it a deep clean, wax etc.

The elongated bit of the wing that meets the windscreen pillar. The corner that meets the windscreen itself is rock solid, but the opposing corner which meets with the rubber surround of the little window by the wing mirror can pushed to flex quite easily, and was flexing when I was rubbing off the excess sealant after applying the C2V3.

They actually had 2 lapiz Rs in, both on Cadiz - I think my £800 was well spent as I didn't like it. Another brand new Red R on Cadiz in the collection bay looked fine.

Matt: They all flex as I told you and you did not believe me. Flimsy build.

Regarding Lapiz, Prets suit the colour better than Cadiz. Looks wrong with Cadiz IMO. The best colour with Cadiz is Tornado Red. Seems we both made the right choice of matching colour with wheel type. But my colour and wheels were at no cost. :laugh:

Prets go well with all colours, but Cadiz suit a handful: Tornado Red, Reflex Silver and Black Pearl.
« Last Edit: 04 June 2015, 13:36 by am1w »
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2346 on: 04 June 2015, 16:04 »
Its not flimsy, it's weight saving.  :grin:  The way I could flex it made me think that VW had switched to plastic wings. Honestly didn't notice it on the GTD, making me think it might be a recent change in build method.

The turbo tales at Benfield were a bit scary.

Definitely need to tone down the soundaktor. For me it makes the car seem slower as it sounds like it is trying far harder to do what it does - like some 60-a-day smoker panting and wheezing while running for the bus. You know the skinny fitness freak is going to get there quicker and with less drama. Will give 30% a go I think.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2347 on: 04 June 2015, 16:25 »
I can confirm that my geriatric 63 plate decidedly non premium white goods slow coach GTI with not enough doors to make it a saleable proposition also flexes like a bast@rd in the described place.
Obviously a £30k plus S3, which incidentally looks identical to a base model Diesel A3, wouldn't possibly have this issue; so really we should all immediately jump ship...

:kiss: :grin:

Now what's my old AudiSport.net log in again?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #2348 on: 04 June 2015, 16:25 »
matt,

If you mean this, then yes it seems they are all like that (mines a Sept 2013 build) - click to play (sorry don't know how to properly embed movies)

« Last Edit: 04 June 2015, 16:27 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #2349 on: 04 June 2015, 16:45 »
wow never noticed that, will check tonight.

MH - mines is set to 40% its ok, certainly better, I have thought about having it off completely but I have to admit I would miss the fake noise for 1st sometimes, its growls a lot better in the lower gears than it does in the higher, if only there was a way of turning it off over a certain speed maybe...
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG