Author Topic: VW's and marques owned by VW........  (Read 4250 times)

Offline RedHP

• I live here
VW's and marques owned by VW........
« on: 21 January 2011, 20:09 »
Ok, VW are owned by a middle-eastern royal family and Porsche etc. But VW have a few marques under their own hat i.e. Audi, Seat, Skoda and then the higher marques i.e. Lambo, Bugatti etc.
But why oh why do VW make a Mk6 GTi (main marque) and then a Seat, Cupra or something, FR which has the same same (more or less) but as its lighter, its a little quicker. Then I saw a mag ad for this Seat, in a R model, which has either a 260bhp or 280bhp, i.e. a Golf R. Apart from weight, and therefore bhp/speed and also torque and maybe depreciation, why are VW making cars with similar performance..? I have used the Golf and Seat something as an example, but as VW own other marques I'm sure this applies to other model's..................?!!!
Its so annoying, seeing a friging Seat FR (or whatever) and despite knowing I own a Golf GTi, but knowing that the Seat is quicker. If it was still Spanish.....well............no comment..........!

Red
Mk6 GiT since birth in 2010

YNWA

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
Re: VW's and marques owned by VW........
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2011, 20:23 »
VW are owned by a middle-eastern royal family and Porsche etc.? ..RedHP

Ownership

Volkswagen is a publicly traded company, which issued ordinary shares and preferred shares. The ownership structure is complex. The following table shows the current shareholder structure. Note that neither the Porsche Automobil Holding nor the Porsche GmbH are identical with the Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, which is responsible for the production of Porsche sports cars. The Porsche Automobil Holding is owned by the Porsche family, the Emirate of Qatar, 49.9% are owned by the Volkswagen AG. The Porsche GmbH was sold to the Volkswagen AG.[30]

Shares Held by:
50.76% as of 30 Jan 2009 Porsche Automobil Holding
2.37% as of 30 Jan 2009 Porsche Holding GmbH
20.26% as of 16 Feb 2008 State of Lower Saxony
17% as of 18. Dec 2009 Emirate of Qatar
9.61% widely held

:smiley:
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Phil1980

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2011, 20:35 »
I don't see the problem most mk6 drivers wouldn't want a Seat Leon, its just the VW group competing across a broader market.  Certain types will want a GTI over a Cupra regardless of power.  :smiley:
MK5 2005 GTI, BLACK, 3 DR, 18" MONZA II, XENONS

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2011, 20:37 »
I don't see the problem most mk6 drivers wouldn't want a Seat Leon, its just the VW group competing across a broader market.  Certain types will want a GTI over a Cupra regardless of power.  :smiley:

I'm of that type. :smiley:
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline Phil1980

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 21 January 2011, 20:47 »

I'm of that type. :smiley:

That wasn't a dig by the way, I would prefer a less powerful GTI over a Cupra R, I prefer the styling of the GTI and the badge. :grin:
MK5 2005 GTI, BLACK, 3 DR, 18" MONZA II, XENONS

Jimmymature

« Reply #5 on: 21 January 2011, 20:49 »
Audi S3
Golf R

Golf GTI
Leon R

All fours cars similar in their design, four prices, expensive, medium and cheaper.  The reason they have threw similar cars is that people have different budgets, some people think Audi is a posh marque and some people think i'll buy a Seat as its cheap but it's effectivly a cheaper S3......

Each to their own I suppose.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #6 on: 21 January 2011, 20:50 »
We have had SEATs since 1997 and still do. IMO theres nothing wrong with them. VWgroup has always done what you talk about.
As an example.
Mk3 Golf GTI/GTI16V--->Mk2 SEAT Ibiza GTI/GTI16V.
Polo GTI--->Mk3 Ibiza Cupra1.8T(150)
MK4 Golf GTI(150)---> SEAT Leon Cupra(180)& Cupra R(210/225)--->Audi A3 1.8T(150) & S3(210/225)--->Skoda octavia vRS
Same with the mk5 platform and with the revised one on the mk6.

It was suppose to be split up a few years back.
Audi section of the group incorperating its lower sister SEAT and Bentley were suppose to be the sporty arm of the group.
VW with its cheaper sister Skoda were the mainstream and upper mainstream brands.
BUT it did not work out as planned due to loads of changes of managment.

« Last Edit: 21 January 2011, 20:54 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Tone2have

• GTI forum regular
  • Gutted - stolen April 10 but now black is back!
« Reply #7 on: 21 January 2011, 21:20 »
My previous, previous car was a Seat Leon Cupra. 180 BHP, gun metal grey, leather, 6 CD auto changer. All this for a little over £16K. The equivalent Golf at the time (GTD not GTI - this was definately out of my budget), was £2K dearer and did not have the same character. It was VERY bland on the inside.

However after a couple of years with the Cupra, the build quality came to be it's downfall. Constant rattles, bits falling off. My point is, in the end you get's what you pay's for and that's why the VW group have different marques for all pockets.

I bought my wife a Seat recently. Nice car the Ibiza "Good stuff", just what she needs. Personally I like the stlying but you can already tell that it's not up to VW standards. the Blue tooth is just appalling :sick:, that is when I can hear her over the road noise (which is not always a bad thing :evil:)   

GTI MK6 black, man, 5 dr, 18" Monza shadow, Xenons, RCD510 Dyna Audio, Winter pack, ordered Sept 2009 - Delivered April 2010, stolen next day - gutted

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #8 on: 21 January 2011, 21:28 »
However after a couple of years with the Cupra, the build quality came to be it's downfall. Constant rattles, bits falling off. My point is, in the end you get's what you pay's for.
I disagree with that from my personal experience and still a mk1 Leon owner. VW are trading off a name. My mk6 is not built/assembled anywere near as well as our 2005 leon is. My Golf rattles in many places and has cost cutting wrote all over it. Our leon has had one rattle in 6 years (back seat catches (Mk6 has one there too :grin: and many more)
I had a SEAT Ibiza GTI16V back in 97 for 4 years and we owned a polo for the same length of time, at the same time as the Ibiza. It was the polo that gave us problems not the Ibiza.
« Last Edit: 21 January 2011, 21:34 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #9 on: 21 January 2011, 21:34 »
Don't know about SEATs but Skoda owners seem happy enough.
Maybe they are getting a real bargain.

Personally, I'm a fan of German engineering and quality.
Engineered and built in Germany. That's my choice.

I've always liked my VWs.
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.