Author Topic: F1 Thread  (Read 286046 times)

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
Re: F1 Thread
« Reply #2060 on: 19 February 2011, 05:59 »
i think testing will be in adu dhabi this week and i wouldn't be suprised if they race there too.
It's a short boat / plane ride away but in the most stable country in the area.

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #2061 on: 19 February 2011, 15:16 »
i think testing will be in adu dhabi this week and i wouldn't be suprised if they race there too.

That seems a likely suggestion, i never realised how close the season was to starting! 19 days!!

I would have thought they could cancel the full race, they would have sold far too many tickets  :undecided:

Abu Dhabi does seem the best plan

Mk7 Golf GTI Clubsport S Tornado Red - on the way!
Mk4 Golf R32 Grey Anthracite Pearl Effect
Mk4 Golf GTI 2.slow Yellow Colour Concept

adamrob69

« Reply #2062 on: 20 February 2011, 11:25 »

Seriously doubt it will be in Abu Dhabi. The race will 100% not be there. The circuit wont be ready in time, and its too big a job to switch a grandprix to a different venue. If it gets cancelled then its going to be a bit longer to wait for the first grand prix. Its also highly doubtfull that it would return there later in the year either because of the hectic race calendar. As for testing. The teams want to stay in spain, and all the motions have been started to stay in spain for the last session.

Enough of the boring stuff anyway...lets talk on-track action.....

The mclaren seems to be a second off the pace on comparable runs to the redbull/fez :( Although they have hardly done any running because of parts shortages/things not working etc. Still unclear what exhaust system they are actually using. The release pics showed a standard exhaust exiting at the back, yet at its first test it turned up with a completley different system that no one could work out where they exitied. Apparently there are still a few bits they need to implement...but its not looking good so far...they are miles behind on the other teams.

Ferrari look quick, consistant and quite reliable. They seem to be the only team that has come out and shown us what they have got.

Red Bull still seem to be the quickest. Testing much the same as last year, nothing spectacular and keeping things very much underwraps...although the signs are there that this is a mighty car...eg vettel coming out on his first and only flying lap and setting the quickest time by over a second.

Merc...Well and truely an establishd midfield team now. The car is a dog. Un-reliable, inconsistant, and seems to be very slow.

All purely speculation mind as its only testing  :tongue:

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #2063 on: 20 February 2011, 11:30 »
So Bernie has said it's up the Crown Prince if the race goes ahead. Way to go Bernie, nothing like leaving it in the hands of those who gain the most from it going ahead. Also I assume if Bernie cancels it he loses money, if the Crown Prince cancels it I suspect he still has to fill Bernie's coughers.

Nick

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #2064 on: 20 February 2011, 13:07 »
I dont have a clue what the season will bring as the testing isnt giving anything away  :undecided: A Williams was the quickest in one of the tests by over a second!?

Whats the preditions then? Could be interesting to look back mid season and at the end to see who was right and whos completely wrong lol

My top 5 prediction is:
1. Alonso
2. Hamilton
3. Webber
4. Vettle
5. Button (or mabey Massa)

I also think Schumacer could be in for a good shout this season as i still think Ross Braun + Schumacer + Mercades is an absolute dream set up.
If kubica manages to get back early enogh if everything goes well i could imagine him being a top 5 finisher as well

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #2065 on: 20 February 2011, 14:33 »
I dont have a clue what the season will bring as the testing isnt giving anything away  :undecided: A Williams was the quickest in one of the tests by over a second!?

Whats the preditions then? Could be interesting to look back mid season and at the end to see who was right and whos completely wrong lol

My top 5 prediction is:
1. Alonso
2. Hamilton
3. Webber
4. Vettle
5. Button (or mabey Massa)

I also think Schumacer could be in for a good shout this season as i still think Ross Braun + Schumacer + Mercades is an absolute dream set up.
If kubica manages to get back early enogh if everything goes well i could imagine him being a top 5 finisher as well

For get that. If he does come back this season, it'll be in the last race to prove he's returning. Why don't people understand that nerves and tendons take months and months to heal, let alone fit enough to drive an F1 car!

I think Alonso will win it this year, the new Ferrari has been developed for him and with last year's car, a car wasn't developed for him he almost won it.

Offline MrBounce

• I live here
  • Bora TDi 130 Highline - usually filthy.
« Reply #2066 on: 20 February 2011, 16:58 »
Khare Bear you said Alfonso would win last year...  :evil:

I am thinking Red Bull again  :smiley:

Keeping schtum. Mostly.

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #2067 on: 20 February 2011, 17:22 »

I did, and I wasn't far!

To be fair, he would have won it had the stupid Ferrari strategist got it right!

This year though....You wait and see!  :cool:

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #2068 on: 21 February 2011, 12:36 »

I did, and I wasn't far!

To be fair, he would have won it had the stupid Ferrari strategist got it right!

This year though....You wait and see!  :cool:

I think it will be Alonso's year as well, cannot see Ferrari being happy if they fail again.

Exactly! Its been quite a while since ferrari have won a title now in comparison to what most people expect from f1, there last championship was with rikonnen that was a proper flook!

I think Mclaren are overdue a title too, Hamilton will be champion if the car goes as well as it looks!

HRT seem to have a good amount of sponsorship this year too, surprising for TATA to sponsor such a small team! Thought Force Indian would want a deal with them  :undecided:

Offline 2001gti4

• Here all the time
« Reply #2069 on: 21 February 2011, 12:38 »
Hard to say until qualifying on the first race weekend, that's when you'll really see how the cars are performing and how up for it the drivers are....
My Golf is dead but at least I have this....