Author Topic: golfmk2boy - mk2 8v  (Read 3638 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
golfmk2boy - mk2 8v
« on: 02 May 2006, 12:56 »
here you go :)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline golfmk2boy

• Here all the time
Re: golfmk2boy - mk2 8v
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2006, 08:08 »
Stage one - Engine replacement

I bought a replacement 8valve engine (I know not the best engine in the world) for my golf gti as the current one is knackered and need alot of head work.  Also, this is my first engine change so I thought I wwould go for something a little easier rather than opting for a VR6 or Turbo upgrade.

First stage I removed the front end iof my car to allow me to remove the engine forwards, then upwards.  I also removed the airbox and any connections to the engine.  The dizzy was also removed as this was a recon part bought from ebay and is in great condition.

Once I did this I then tackled the driveshafts.  This was very difficult partly due to the fact that I need a spinal key tool which I managed to pick up from halfords and also that the driveshafts ends are protected by a rubber sleeve, making it difficult to get the bolt on.

Eventually I got the shaft off and then moved on to the downpipe onto the exhaust manifold.  I couldnt mange to get the six nuts removed so I will be sawing off the downpipe at the front exhaust piece, further down the car.  I will then buy a replacement downpipe.

Thats it so far, here is a pic of my car;

Offline golfmk2boy

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2006, 19:06 »
Suspension kit has arrived. I originally received inserts which was no good so I contacted eurocarparts and they arranged for a courier to pick them up and swap them.

Cant wait to bolt these on  :smiley:

« Last Edit: 18 October 2006, 19:40 by golfmk2boy »

Offline golfmk2boy

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 27 September 2006, 20:13 »
So, the engine is in now.... Unfortunately the drop-in took place after I got in from work, time was short and the night drew in - managed to get bitten by about a thousand mozzeees.

The engine is just about connected up although I still need some parts such as the throttle body pipes, and other little things.  Just need to find the parts.  Dunno about you fellas but finding little parts like bolts, mounts etc is pretty hard..... also annoying when you buy parts from ebay ads saying "breaking golf"..... then the parts never turn up!

Anyhow, not to be overly worried... should have it finished soon, just hope it runs!  :huh:

Here are some pictures, I know how much you lot love em!  :smug:

Just a side shot, after some cleaning had taken place using wd40 (that stuff can be used for anything.... had to be abit careful though cos it strips the paint, im good at art tho so I can always respray, errrr....  :undecided:)

New engine mount (need top bolt).... I knackered tuther one.. if anyone has one drop us a message.

Me just taking out a core plug which had holde in it, sexy gloves eh  :cool:

There is the newer engine, before I dropped it in

Sunset in ibiza, San an, this year... WOW!.. what a night that was.

Engine in car, before cleaning.... bit blury this one, sorry!

« Last Edit: 27 September 2006, 20:18 by golfmk2boy »