Author Topic: Hunting for a nice Golf  (Read 2683 times)

Offline Tractor Dave

• GTI forum regular
Re: Hunting for a nice Golf
« Reply #10 on: 30 March 2024, 18:31 »
Not able to get any response from the sales manager due to easter. I will update next week. If they don't agree to replace the front tyres, rear brake pads and all four shocks we are handing it back.

Offline karlos

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 30 March 2024, 21:19 »
I think the key indicator on used cars is the tyres.

Before I settled on my GTI I looked at a number of Golf Rs. The number I saw with mismatched tyres and even cheap Chinese ditchfinders on them was shocking and all of them were an instant nope from me for that reason.

« Last Edit: 30 March 2024, 21:22 by karlos »
2017 (67) GTI PP DSG. Tungsten Silver with DCC, Art Velours, Dynaudio, Climate Screen, Tints, Keyless, Rear Camera, Lane Assist, Seville wheels.

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 01 April 2024, 10:31 »
I think the key indicator on used cars is the tyres.

Before I settled on my GTI I looked at a number of Golf Rs. The number I saw with mismatched tyres and even cheap Chinese ditchfinders on them was shocking and all of them were an instant nope from me for that reason.

This seems pretty typical of cars which are being sold at places such as Cinch and Carshop.

I am wondering whether it is due to the cars being previously leased, and the previous keeper fitting the cheapest tyres possible before handing the car back.
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline Tractor Dave

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 03 April 2024, 13:02 »
So the dealer have agreed to replace the front tyres and the rear brake pads and they were apologetic regarding these items which apparently should have been done before my boy collected the car. However, they are not happy about replacing the shocks and want to inspect the car again, stating light oil misting is perfectly acceptable. I've examined the car more thoroughly and the front off side shock is leaking so much, it's reached the lower spring perch. If they don't replace now, according to the small print of the approved used warranty, any existing faults are not covered. As they have been pointed out at last two mot's I doubt vw would honour a claim.
Update to follow.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 03 April 2024, 13:10 »
That’s at least some progress Dave, keep pushing! Those dampers can’t be justified as fit for use.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 03 April 2024, 14:37 »
VWs stance on damper leaks straight out of the workshop manual.

2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Tractor Dave

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 03 April 2024, 15:56 »
They quoted that to me. Any leak is the seal starting to fail. I have a 2000 year Passat here on original shocks and they are all bone dry with no oil leaking at all!
How long will they last after they have started to leak? Not long in my opinion.

Offline Tractor Dave

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 10 April 2024, 18:18 »
So an update.
The car was at the garage all day yesterday and to our surprise, they did absolutely everything free of charge.
New front tyres, new shocks front and rear and new discs and pads at the rear.
My faith in VW is restored.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 10 April 2024, 22:57 »
Good news but still a sour taste that you had to challenge them in the first place.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner