Author Topic: Anyone here have/had a Touareg  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
Anyone here have/had a Touareg
« on: 14 August 2023, 07:41 »
As per the title, does anyone have a Touareg?

More specifically a mk2.  Better still also has kids. The ultimate poster… has 3 kids?

We’ve been looking at changing the Missus family Renault Koleos, and have found a nice 2016 Touareg. It’s the first Touareg we’re considering looking at, but it’s about an hour and half away and we need a rear seat that’s suitable enough for two boosters and a baby seat. I know the Touareg is larger than the Koleos, but for 3 it’s all about the width of each seat and the central seat hump. We had a bit of a nightmare finding something before as we really didn’t want a Citroen Picasso.

I’d go try one locally first, but there’s no mk2 Touaregs at VW dealers and I’m not a fan of wasting small garages time deliberately. There’s also no “nice” ones within budget that are local that we’d consider buying. She wants high spec, low mileage and within a set budget, I’ve told her she has to compromise on one of those parameters, but apparently likes to give me a challenge 🙄.
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
Re: Anyone here have/had a Touareg
« Reply #1 on: 14 August 2023, 07:42 »
I’m also interested to hear what you think of the Touareg?

I really wanted a Discovery 4, but potential money pit!

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 14 August 2023, 07:49 »
I’m also interested to hear what you think of the Touareg?

I really wanted a Discovery 4, but potential money pit!

Just don’t get a D4, the last ones are now 7+ years old. Total money pits. I could make this post read like a Leo Tolstoy novel regarding faults.

I had a D3 and a D4, both from new. Folk post on here about MK8 bongs, nothing compared to a D4.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 14 August 2023, 09:24 »
Hi Carl_45

I only have 2 kids so I'm not the ultimate poster, (hopefully they will be along soon) but I had a 65 plate Touareg R-Line for 3 years and traded it in about 6 months ago on 90,000 miles (it had 45,000 when I got it). It's the longest I've ever had a car so that must count for something.

It was a great car, plenty of room and a nice drive - it really doesn't feel as big as it is when you're driving it although parking in supermarkets can be a challenge. I fitted a detachable tow bar for our bike rack (I looked for one without so I knew it had an easy life without towing caravans) and it is too old for carplay/android auto so I got a Joyeauto box fitted which was a bit buggy but was essential for me.

I had the more powerful 3.0 V6 diesel and mpg wasn't great (high 20s normally) but it's a >2T car I guess. In my ownership I had an issue with the headlight range, both units replaced under VW used warranty and a NOX sensor which unfortunately wasn't covered by warranty. I know you've said there aren't any at the minute but I would try and get a dealership one if possible as the VW warranty was worthwhile for me anyway.

I can't confirm on the 3 seats across the back, we had 2 full child seats and could squeeze someone inbetween, I don't think it's a 3 full car seats across the back but from memory it would do 2 boosters and a child seat. If you're on facebook, there are a couple of good groups - VW Touareg Owners UK and VW Touareg UK Owners who will be able to confirm on the seat point.

Thanks

Andy
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 14 August 2023, 15:21 »
Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

We’re going to look at one (an R-line plus) on Wednesday, so we can try the seats.

We will consider your points regarding warranty. I know they can be costly if they go wrong.

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 14 August 2023, 15:29 »
Nice! The R-Line Plus came with memory seats and 360 cameras as standard (over and above R-Line) so it will be a really nice spec.

Hope it all goes well on Wednesday.
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2023, 23:02 »
How did you get on Carl?
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2023, 19:36 »
Hi, the car seats fit well, like you said the R-line plus is a good level, I prefer the silver insert of the R-line over the piano black of the plus, but that’s due to the age of the car, we all know how easily is scratches.

After looking at the Touareg, we also looked at an X5… the twin turbo inline 6 diesel…. Very nice car and at that age feels far more premium that the Touareg, not that there’s anything wrong with it, just feels like an old model.

We’re in no rush, and feel a little torn between an older/higher mileage X5 vs better mileage Touareg for the same money, so we’ve parked the idea for a while.

We’ve just bought a twin axle caravan, hence the want for a more powerful tow car. I’ve not pulled it with the Koleos yet, I’ll find out how it is soon, if it’s ok (I think it will be), we’d prefer to keep our current car for a few more years then buy something newer…. Possibly the latest shape Touareg.