Author Topic: New owner - few questions  (Read 6369 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
Re: New owner - few questions
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2021, 08:03 »
If your doing short trips of 3 miles that mpg doesn't suprise me. If in traffic even more so.
Evap depends what the code is.
Calipers jack it up and spin the wheel so if there sticking. If looked after they should be fine.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2021, 12:41 »
Evening:

First off I'm no mechanic, but I've owned my 2009 Mk6 GTI (manual with DCC) since 2013.  It's done just over 170k miles.  I had my GTI's flywheel replaced with a clutch at 100k miles. 

This was following me asking the dealer to investigate what could be best described as a 'clonk' from the engine when I turned the ignition off.  This I was told was due to excessive play starting to take place in the dual mass flywheel.  It could be that yours doesn't have any play in it, or maybe the price of the flywheel part put the previous owner off changing it if it was only just starting to go?

I too was concered about the DCC shocks but fingers crossed I've never had a problem with them since owning my Mk6.

Cheers

Bluto

Hi thanks for the reply and good to see another high mileage Mk6 on here! Also good to read that your DCC shocks are still fine, it’s probably my biggest worry about the car if I’m being honest.

Have you had any other issues with your car? Any other suspension components needed changing? As for the flywheel personally it makes sense to replace it when doing the clutch but I suppose if there’s no play then I can understand why the previous owner didn’t.

Firstly MA1694 I don't want to put the fear of car anxiety into anyone's heads regarding Mk6 GTI ownership, I love my Mk6 GTI.  Best car I've owned.  Puts a smile on my face.  It's soaked up the 600 miles a week I was doing pre-COVID, it's comfortable, responsive and had the oomph when I wanted it.  The process I'm in at present of considering a Mk8 GTI Clubsport or R is bitter sweet as I love my Mk6, but at 171k miles she's getting on a bit now.

As far as cars are concerned they're all money pits in my eyes.  Such is the price of independence that owning a car brings.  However I know that some cars are less of a money pit than others.  Plus driving style, road surface repair, fuel quality, component quality, component design all play a part in a car's overall reliability.

So whilst informative, my list of Mk6 repairs of course doesn't instantly mean your Mk6 Golf GTI will have the same repairs required in its life.  But I know why you're asking, as I was the same when I was looking to buy my Mk6.  :wink:

So you asked what other issues I have had...

Back in 2017 my OEM flyweel was £508 + VAT for the part alone so not a cheap part. 

The only suspension bits that I have had replaced on my 2009 Mk6 GTI since purchasing it in 2013 have been:

• The two rear bump stops at 134k miles
  • Offside Front Top Mount and Spring at 152k miles
  • Offside Rear Spring at 160k miles
  • Replaced Front Lower Arm Bushes at 160k miles

I suspect that the cracked/broken springs were due to the lovely pot holed roads in the UK and random heights and condition of UK speed bumps.  :rolleyes: In fact I know I hit a nasty one on the M6 that I couldn't see or avoid quick enough due to the volume of traffic.

At 140k miles when having new discs and pads fitted on the rear, both calipers were found to be seized.  So two new rear calipers were fitted.

As for other "significant issues" in my 7 years plus of Mk6 Golf GTi Ownership:

• two new inlet manifolds, one at 41k the other at 136k miles
  • new reversing camera at 59k mile - technically it was the wiring loom that had worn, then snapped due to the action of the popout badge
  • de-carbon of engine at 64k miles and one at 160k miles
  • chain tensioner 'popped' at 108k, so new cylinder head
  • new rear main seal, new turbo and new sump pan at 160k (new clutch fitted too and 2nd decarbon done as the car's engine was in bits anyway)

As for the tensioner popping, VW eventually picked up the entire cost of the engine repair.  I think it helped my argument that my local VW dealer had serviced and repaired my car since I bought it (not from them mind).  Plus I had been constantly asking VW about this tensioner vulnerability on every service the car went in for :angry:.

I think I've had most of the Top 5 VW fails of the 2.0T TSI Engine as described by the Humble Mechanic on YouTube. :whistle:
https://youtu.be/xIyxT3r5Ps8
Well except for water pump issues and coolant leaks.

Not sure if the above list is what you wanted to see :rolleyes:, but that's my personal (honest) journey of Mk6 GTI Ownership.

Still love it, still drive it as a daily, would have still have bought a Mk6 GTI.

Cheers

Bluto
Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Offline Borbus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2021, 13:16 »
You didn't get your carbon cleaned when the intake manifold was changed? I imagine that would save a fair bit of money on labour. How did you know the intake needed changing?

When you got the rear main seal changed, did you change the PCV valve too? The PCV is a common failure point and if it goes completely it blows the rear main seal. I'm thinking of getting my clutch changed plus rear main seal as a bit of preventative maintenance, but then I'd definitely want to change the PCV as well. Looks like I can easily do that myself, though.

Are any of the non genuine PCVs worth going for?
2010 Mk6 GTI

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 15 May 2021, 13:40 »
You didn't get your carbon cleaned when the intake manifold was changed? I imagine that would save a fair bit of money on labour. How did you know the intake needed changing?

When you got the rear main seal changed, did you change the PCV valve too? The PCV is a common failure point and if it goes completely it blows the rear main seal. I'm thinking of getting my clutch changed plus rear main seal as a bit of preventative maintenance, but then I'd definitely want to change the PCV as well. Looks like I can easily do that myself, though.

Are any of the non genuine PCVs worth going for?

Hi Borbus

If I recall in the dim and distant past, the first inlet manifold went bad (at 41k) with a check engine light pinging up on the dash.  That manifold was replaced under warranty so I was not advised to have any additional work carried out -plus I don't think I was really aware of the carbon issue back then. 

The second inlet manifold (at 136k), again I think that was a CEL.  In that instance I did ask the garage to check the level of carbon build up in the engine.  As having had the engine decoked already, I knew it would need doing in the future - the carbon build up was okay at that point.  I also recall the second inlet manifold being of different revision/design.

Yes, when I had the rear main seal replaced the PCV valve was also replaced.  I'd read up on that and double checked with the garage that the PCV replacement was part of the work.

As for using non-geniune PCVs, not able to offer advice on that, all my parts for my Mk6 have been OEM replacements.

Cheers

Bluto
« Last Edit: 15 May 2021, 13:41 by Bluto »
Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Offline MA1694

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 15 May 2021, 16:54 »
If your doing short trips of 3 miles that mpg doesn't suprise me. If in traffic even more so.
Calipers jack it up and spin the wheel so if there sticking. If looked after they should be fine.

The code is P0441. Did some googling and it’s either the charcoal canister or the N80 valve. Not sure if evap system problems can result in reduced mpg?

Offline MA1694

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 15 May 2021, 16:56 »
Evening:

First off I'm no mechanic, but I've owned my 2009 Mk6 GTI (manual with DCC) since 2013.  It's done just over 170k miles.  I had my GTI's flywheel replaced with a clutch at 100k miles. 

This was following me asking the dealer to investigate what could be best described as a 'clonk' from the engine when I turned the ignition off.  This I was told was due to excessive play starting to take place in the dual mass flywheel.  It could be that yours doesn't have any play in it, or maybe the price of the flywheel part put the previous owner off changing it if it was only just starting to go?

I too was concered about the DCC shocks but fingers crossed I've never had a problem with them since owning my Mk6.

Cheers

Bluto

Hi thanks for the reply and good to see another high mileage Mk6 on here! Also good to read that your DCC shocks are still fine, it’s probably my biggest worry about the car if I’m being honest.

Have you had any other issues with your car? Any other suspension components needed changing? As for the flywheel personally it makes sense to replace it when doing the clutch but I suppose if there’s no play then I can understand why the previous owner didn’t.

Firstly MA1694 I don't want to put the fear of car anxiety into anyone's heads regarding Mk6 GTI ownership, I love my Mk6 GTI.  Best car I've owned.  Puts a smile on my face.  It's soaked up the 600 miles a week I was doing pre-COVID, it's comfortable, responsive and had the oomph when I wanted it.  The process I'm in at present of considering a Mk8 GTI Clubsport or R is bitter sweet as I love my Mk6, but at 171k miles she's getting on a bit now.

As far as cars are concerned they're all money pits in my eyes.  Such is the price of independence that owning a car brings.  However I know that some cars are less of a money pit than others.  Plus driving style, road surface repair, fuel quality, component quality, component design all play a part in a car's overall reliability.

So whilst informative, my list of Mk6 repairs of course doesn't instantly mean your Mk6 Golf GTI will have the same repairs required in its life.  But I know why you're asking, as I was the same when I was looking to buy my Mk6.  :wink:

So you asked what other issues I have had...

Back in 2017 my OEM flyweel was £508 + VAT for the part alone so not a cheap part. 

The only suspension bits that I have had replaced on my 2009 Mk6 GTI since purchasing it in 2013 have been:

• The two rear bump stops at 134k miles
  • Offside Front Top Mount and Spring at 152k miles
  • Offside Rear Spring at 160k miles
  • Replaced Front Lower Arm Bushes at 160k miles

I suspect that the cracked/broken springs were due to the lovely pot holed roads in the UK and random heights and condition of UK speed bumps.  :rolleyes: In fact I know I hit a nasty one on the M6 that I couldn't see or avoid quick enough due to the volume of traffic.

At 140k miles when having new discs and pads fitted on the rear, both calipers were found to be seized.  So two new rear calipers were fitted.

As for other "significant issues" in my 7 years plus of Mk6 Golf GTi Ownership:

• two new inlet manifolds, one at 41k the other at 136k miles
  • new reversing camera at 59k mile - technically it was the wiring loom that had worn, then snapped due to the action of the popout badge
  • de-carbon of engine at 64k miles and one at 160k miles
  • chain tensioner 'popped' at 108k, so new cylinder head
  • new rear main seal, new turbo and new sump pan at 160k (new clutch fitted too and 2nd decarbon done as the car's engine was in bits anyway)

As for the tensioner popping, VW eventually picked up the entire cost of the engine repair.  I think it helped my argument that my local VW dealer had serviced and repaired my car since I bought it (not from them mind).  Plus I had been constantly asking VW about this tensioner vulnerability on every service the car went in for :angry:.

I think I've had most of the Top 5 VW fails of the 2.0T TSI Engine as described by the Humble Mechanic on YouTube. :whistle:
https://youtu.be/xIyxT3r5Ps8
Well except for water pump issues and coolant leaks.

Not sure if the above list is what you wanted to see :rolleyes:, but that's my personal (honest) journey of Mk6 GTI Ownership.

Still love it, still drive it as a daily, would have still have bought a Mk6 GTI.

Cheers

Bluto

Wow! Fair play to you for sticking with it. Whoever you sell it to will have a looked after car that’s for sure.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #16 on: 15 May 2021, 18:16 »

The code is P0441. Did some googling and it’s either the charcoal canister or the N80 valve. Not sure if evap system problems can result in reduced mpg?
http://Http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16825/P0441/001089

https://www.shopdap.com/blog/check-gas-cap-light-on-vw-and-audi-2-0t-tsi-engine.html

« Last Edit: 15 May 2021, 18:22 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 20 May 2021, 20:12 »
MA1694 Hope you enjoy the mk6 as much as we have enjoyed ours. We bought one new in 2010 and still have it. Treated with TLC and not had many problems. Been garaged all its life which probably helped with the life of the discs and pads etc. The intake manifold is the only major expense over the 11 years and replaced with the updated version. Just about to change the front pads for the first time at 88000 miles. Front and rear calipers are checked and pins re-greased each year, oil and filter change every 6 months or 5000 miles and regular VCDS scans. VW serviced by local dealer and ask each year whether the chains were getting noisy! The VCDS scan has the camshaft phase angle difference at -1.81 at present but wondering about getting the tensioner and timing chains replaced as our grandson thinks he will get it before long! Had to de-rust and treat the rear suspension arms a couple or years ago as they seem to get a bit of hammering from road grit, particularly the offside and then 4 wheel alignment to sort some uneven wear on one rear wheel. Alloys still pretty good and lacquer holding out. Just bitten the bullet and bought a mk7.5 GTI with 4000miles on the clock. Seats are not as comfortable as our mk6 perhaps the old car has sagged a bit but but enjoying it never-the-less.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 20 May 2021, 23:47 »

Wow! Fair play to you for sticking with it. Whoever you sell it to will have a looked after car that’s for sure.

Cheers MA1694, well it took me a while to get one so I've tried to look after it.  :wink:

Offline MA1694

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 25 May 2021, 10:41 »
MA1694 Hope you enjoy the mk6 as much as we have enjoyed ours. We bought one new in 2010 and still have it. Treated with TLC and not had many problems. Been garaged all its life which probably helped with the life of the discs and pads etc. The intake manifold is the only major expense over the 11 years and replaced with the updated version. Just about to change the front pads for the first time at 88000 miles. Front and rear calipers are checked and pins re-greased each year, oil and filter change every 6 months or 5000 miles and regular VCDS scans. VW serviced by local dealer and ask each year whether the chains were getting noisy! The VCDS scan has the camshaft phase angle difference at -1.81 at present but wondering about getting the tensioner and timing chains replaced as our grandson thinks he will get it before long! Had to de-rust and treat the rear suspension arms a couple or years ago as they seem to get a bit of hammering from road grit, particularly the offside and then 4 wheel alignment to sort some uneven wear on one rear wheel. Alloys still pretty good and lacquer holding out. Just bitten the bullet and bought a mk7.5 GTI with 4000miles on the clock. Seats are not as comfortable as our mk6 perhaps the old car has sagged a bit but but enjoying it never-the-less.

Thanks, from what I have read and heard the Mk7 is a big improvement so I've no doubt you'll enjoy it!