Author Topic: Using factory-installed DAB aerial with a DAB+ adaptor?  (Read 1558 times)

Offline 55bb

• Just got here
Hi all!

I just bought a Mk6 Golf a couple of weeks ago and every time I drive it I like it more!

I’m still discovering things about it - today it was the reversing setting for the passenger side mirror!

Anyway, to my reason for posting…

The car came with factory-fitted RCD510 Premium 8 head unit, with 6-cd autochanger, Bluetooth (complete with BT unit under the driver’s seat), external media input (via a connector/cable in the armrest)/SD card reader and DAB etc.

All this is great, with the exception of DAB, as it is the old DAB system and thus I can’t receive DAB+ which, ironically, is what most of the stations I listen to are using!

So, does anyone know if there is a way to use the existing factory-fitted DAB aerial (rear windscreen type) with an external DAB+ unit? 

I have a little DAB/DAB+ adaptor (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Colorful-Portable-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Handsfree-Black/dp/B076P86LXH?ref_=ast_sto_dp) which I used in my previous car along with a powered DAB roof aerial (which I replaced the stock roof aerial with) and it worked beautifully.  I don’t want to start drilling holes in my Golf or using mag-mount aerials, and the glass mounted aerials have so far been next to useless.

This will be a temporary arrangement until I can afford to get an RCD510 with DAB+ (or something similar) which I can use with the factory installed DAB aerial.

Anyone know if this is possible, or indeed if anyone takes part-exchange head units?  Mine’s like new.

Thanks 😊

55bb

Offline joe6

• I live here
Re: Using factory-installed DAB aerial with a DAB+ adaptor?
« Reply #1 on: 09 August 2021, 07:57 »
I have the same media set up that I retro fitted a few years ago. Not sure about the dab+ antenna question but red 510 dab units go for about £100 on ebay. I do know that the golf dab antenna has a built in freqency filter that may affect the reception of dab+.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline 55bb

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2021, 08:19 »
Thanks joe6. Is the "red 510" the DAB+ version of the RCD510, or just a typo? 😊

I've seen used RCD510's on eBay but they're going for £300 upwards. A DAB+ version of a VW OEM head unit would solve the issue for me. Even one without CD would be fine as I will never use that feature, but I use all the others.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2021, 21:39 »
Thanks joe6. Is the "red 510" the DAB+ version of the RCD510, or just a typo? 😊

I've seen used RCD510's on eBay but they're going for £300 upwards. A DAB+ version of a VW OEM head unit would solve the issue for me. Even one without CD would be fine as I will never use that feature, but I use all the others.
Sorry, typo. OEM VW RCD 510 dab+ advertised for about £200 used on ebay and should be plug and play with your Bluetooth underseat module. There are quite few different Bluetooth modules but if it works with the current rcd 510 you should be OK.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline 55bb

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 09 August 2021, 22:13 »
Yeah, I was looking at refurbed units :rolleyes: