Author Topic: Advice please re driving modes and Keyless Entry  (Read 4631 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Advice please re driving modes and Keyless Entry
« Reply #30 on: 06 June 2020, 12:29 »
Anyone got keyless entry on their front door at home? :whistle:

Yes! Brilliant, except when it went wtong, that was a bit of a pickle...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #31 on: 06 June 2020, 12:35 »

Yes, but I don't have to wrap the door handle in tin foil when I'm not at home. It's a yale and when we got our new composite front door about 12 years ago, it was new tech they were pushing hard and was only £79 more than a standard lock. The installer called it the "resident evil lock because  when it talks "disengaged", "securely locked" etc. sounds like the "Red Queen" in the Resident evil film. You have to blip a fob to get in or enter a number on a keypad. First time I went out for a proper drinking session and elected to key my number in when I got home - 10 digit code entry when pissed is challenging!
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 06 June 2020, 12:53 »
best way to sell cars- list a whole load of options ranging from "occasionaly useful but could easily manage without" to "complete gimmick"
keyless, voice control, heat the mirrors, heat your ar$e.
And if you keep a car longer than the 2 years most people seem to, it all costs you to fix in the end.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #33 on: 06 June 2020, 12:56 »

Yes, but I don't have to wrap the door handle in tin foil when I'm not at home. It's a yale and when we got our new composite front door about 12 years ago, it was new tech they were pushing hard and was only £79 more than a standard lock. The installer called it the "resident evil lock because  when it talks "disengaged", "securely locked" etc. sounds like the "Red Queen" in the Resident evil film. You have to blip a fob to get in or enter a number on a keypad. First time I went out for a proper drinking session and elected to key my number in when I got home - 10 digit code entry when pissed is challenging!

Have you had any bother with yours? I had to replace the motherboard on mine and they don't make them any more. I found a weak point in the way two parts were fitted together which mean't you couldn't fully lock the door when they seperated.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 06 June 2020, 13:39 »

Have you had any bother with yours? I had to replace the motherboard on mine and they don't make them any more. I found a weak point in the way two parts were fitted together which mean't you couldn't fully lock the door when they seperated.

Nope, ours has been faultless for 12 years. The exterior handle clutches in for about 10s after unlocking, then declutches.

The only issue I had was with the other door furniture - the latter box and knocker used to start to show signs of copper corrosion through the chrome finish every 6 months (North Sea air blasting off it?) ' I had about 8 new letterboxes under the 10 year warranty before the last replacement has been corrosion free for 6 years.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Kingy25

• Not said much yet
« Reply #35 on: 06 June 2020, 17:13 »
Doesn't the need to use a Faraday box or pouch negate the convenience of keyless?

I don’t think so. I only use the faraday box when the car is parked up for several hours with the key nearby. (Eg parked on my drive overnight). That’s where it could be targeted by thieves / scanners as it’s obvious the key will be near the car. Otherwise I use it as normal which makes the keyless element very convenient for me.
I had keyless with my last personal car (Lexus RX450h), then “normal key” with a company car I had for 2 years. I never saw the need for keyless until I had it with the Lexus -  now I wouldn’t be without.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #36 on: 09 June 2020, 12:21 »
Ami I the only person on here that finds it really useful and would hate to lose the function if going for another car without it?
I don't have a Mary Poppins bag either  :laugh: but do find my hands full in the morning with my uniform, id, phone etc and the same when leaving work with my keys buried under my wallet and general other rubbish.

I know its hardly a hardship pressing the fob or turning the key in the ignition but for me its just progression which a car is full of.

It will be face recognition before we know it  :rolleyes:
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #37 on: 09 June 2020, 13:25 »

I hope not or anyone with this avatar -  :nerd: - will be able to take my car :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #38 on: 09 June 2020, 13:35 »

Given that facial recognition is more recently plagued with issues around those people with less white skin tones, i'd doubt it.

On the other hand, we already have an issue around voice recognition and regional accents. That tech is already in your car and hated in the far flung corners of the UK.

The interesting thing about both of those technologies is that they have more problems with females than males.

In case anyone is actually interested, here's the results of an accuracy test of three different facial recognition software systems:

Microsoft was perfect at identifying white males in the PPB dataset but scored 1.7 per cent for white females. Figures worsened for darker skin: for black males the error rate hit six per cent and for black women it was 20.8 per cent.

In second place was Face ++ which was also much better at classifying males compared to females regardless of skin colour. The error rate for white males was 0.8 per cent and 0.7 per cent for black males, but for white women it was six per cent and 34.5 per cent for black women.

IBM struggled the most with darker skin tones. The results report error rates of 0.3 per cent for white males, 7.1 per cent for white females, 12 per cent for black males and 34.7 per for black females.

That's pretty terrible.

For current reasons, I cannot see any car maker wanting the negative press that goes with that.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC