Author Topic: Adaptive dampers?  (Read 4684 times)

Offline Maddness

• Not said much yet
Adaptive dampers?
« on: 01 February 2016, 16:47 »
I'm in the process of ordering either a Golf R DSG with just the tech pack option or a Golf GTi PP DSG with plenty of options.
I the R comes in budget then it's a no brainier for me but if not I need to fit the right options to the GTi.
Do the adaptive dampers make a big difference? I drive about 30,000 miles a year with a mix of motorway and rural roads.
So I'm thinking of th GTi with leather, sunroof, winter pack and DCC.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: Adaptive dampers?
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2016, 17:08 »
It's very subjective, but most say it rides perfectly well on 18" wheels, but with 19's DCC is a must.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Online Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2016, 17:16 »
Mine is a GTI PP on 19s without DCC and most of the time it is very good and more comfortable than my previous Audi A4 sport on 17s. Occasionally though a surface can be a bit jiggly. I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions but it is your money so you'll have to decide, perhaps try and get a test drive in both? Or get 18s and no DCC thereby saving not only the cost of that but getting much cheaper tyres and a better ride.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2016, 19:01 »
I wouldn't get it without and I only have 17" wheels fitted on my GT.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Bungleaio

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2016, 19:41 »
I was in a similar situation and went for a fully loaded GTI. DCC is fantastic, I run in comfort 90%+ of the time but when I put it in sport you can really tell the difference.

Apparently - Comfort is soft, normal is slightly softer than on standard shocks, sport is stiffer than normal shocks.
Abarth 595 Turismo + Classic Mini + Triumph Street Triple RS
Did have 3door DBP GTI PP

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2016, 20:04 »
Stick to 18's and forget adaptive dampers is my opinion.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Maddness

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 01 February 2016, 20:16 »
Thanks for the information.
If I manage to get the R it will be on 19's as I'm in Ireland and the Cadiz 19" are standard on the car here.
If it's the GTi I'll have 18's so I might spend the budget on a few other toys and leave the DCC.
« Last Edit: 01 February 2016, 20:17 by Maddness »

Offline Mk7-GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 01 February 2016, 20:24 »
I'm in the process of ordering either a Golf R DSG with just the tech pack option or a Golf GTi PP DSG with plenty of options.
I the R comes in budget then it's a no brainier for me but if not I need to fit the right options to the GTi.
Do the adaptive dampers make a big difference? I drive about 30,000 miles a year with a mix of motorway and rural roads.
So I'm thinking of th GTi with leather, sunroof, winter pack and DCC.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Doesn't the GTi come with winter pack?

The DCC I can't really comment on because I drive a CC but it I do have it and personal when I ordered my GTD I didn't opt for DCC because I will most probably get lowering springs but if the standard suspension doesn't suit me then the price of the lowering springs plus the the cost of the DCC will almost buy a set of coil overs which will be far better than the DCC

Another way to make your suspension better is anti roll bars and polly bushes.

Also I'm not sure how it works on the Golf but on the CC the harder the setting on the DCC the stiffer the steering, is it the same on the Golf?

Forgot to mention that my CC is on 19" wheels and I drive in normal mode on the DCC 80% of the time.
« Last Edit: 01 February 2016, 20:34 by Mk7-GTD »

Offline Mk7-GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 01 February 2016, 20:27 »
Thanks for the information.
If I manage to get the R it will be on 19's as I'm in Ireland and the Cadiz 19" are standard on the car here.
If it's the GTi I'll have 18's so I might spend the budget on a few other toys and leave the DCC.

You're in Ireland, where do you do most of your driving? I'm from Wexford btw so I know how bad some of the roads are back home.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 01 February 2016, 20:34 »
If you go R on 19's and can afford it then spec DCC.  GTI on 18's I wouldn't bother unless you are planning to stick 19's on it a some point.

In DCC Sport stiffens the suspension and sharpens and makes the steering more responsive. In Comfort the ride is softened etc.  Normal is obviously between the two but is also adaptive so changes to adapt to your driving style and the conditions. I think in a non DCC car the set up errs more towards the sportier end of normal.
« Last Edit: 01 February 2016, 20:35 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11