Author Topic: Interesting Hot hatch test in Top Gear Magazine  (Read 4659 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Interesting Hot hatch test in Top Gear Magazine
« on: 13 August 2015, 07:44 »
This month's (September) Top Gear Magazine, is mainly dedicated to a huge group test of the best hot hatch available. Included was the Golf R, GTI, GTD, BMW M135i, Megane, Clio, Audi RS3, New Civic Type R, Peugeot 308 GTI, Mini Cooper, Seat Leon, Fiesta ST (and a few more I can't remember).

They subjected each to acceleration, braking, weight tests, as well as track and B road tests over a week. They eventually got it down to a top three. The Golf R, The Honda Civic and the Fiesta ST

Long and short, the Golf R pretty much romped away with it, with the Honda second and the Fiesta third.

They also did a mini "pre" test to see if a diesel hot hatch was good enough to be entered into consideration with the petrol boys. They tested the Diesel Peugeot 308, Focus ST3 TDI, Skoda Octavia TDI, Seat Leon FR TDi and the Golf GTD.

Of these, the GTD won and was the only Diesel motor to be entered into the big test. It obviously dropped out quite early on as if just didn't have the power of the big petrol boys, but a creditable showing non the less. Interestingly, when they did a braking test, the GTD consistently did better than the GTi (go figure).

A good read and a really good one on the IPad as it also contains lots of imbedded videos (just go the book store and download the Top Gear app).
« Last Edit: 13 August 2015, 11:23 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline remlapeel

• I live here
Re: Interesting Hot hatch test in Top Gear Magazine
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2015, 07:53 »
I will be downloading this at lunchtime. I may be a bit biased, but the R is a great car :P
2015 MK7 Golf R 3 door, DSG, lapiz blue, 19" wheels, winter pack, keyless entry, dynaudio and high beam assist.

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2015, 08:18 »
This month's (September) Top Gear Magazine, is mainly dedicated to a huge group test of the best hot hatch available. Included was the Golf R, GTI, GTD, BMW M235i, Megane, Clio, Audi RS3, New Civic Type R, Peugeot 308 GTI, Mini Cooper, Seat Leon, Fiesta ST (and a few more I can't remember).

They subjected each to acceleration, braking, weight tests, as well as track and B road tests over a week. They eventually got it down to a top three. The Golf R, The Honda Civic and the Fiesta ST

Long and short, the Golf R pretty much romped away with it, with the Honda second and the Fiesta third.

They also did a mini "pre" test to see if a diesel hot hatch was good enough to be entered into consideration with the petrol boys. They tested the Diesel Peugeot 308, Focus ST3 TDI, Skoda Octavia TDI, Seat Leon FR TDi and the Golf GTD.

Of these, the GTD won and was the only Diesel motor to be entered into the big test. It obviously dropped out quite early on as if just didn't have the power of the big petrol boys, but a creditable showing non the less. Interestingly, when they did a braking test, the GTD consistently did better than the GTi (go figure).

A good read and a really good one on the IPad as it also contains lots of imbedded videos (just go the book store and download the Top Gear app).

Oooh im gonna have to do just that. Cant believe the Fezbomb beat the cupra tho! Thats gonna cause some controversy over at SCN lol.

Strange there was no 125d in the mix, which lets face it is a GTI that returns 20 more mpg :smiley:
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2015, 10:19 »
That's my reading for today's holiday flight sorted.  :cool:   It'll tide me over till the elusive car actually makes it's long awaited appearance.   :rolleyes:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2015, 14:30 »
Bon Voyage Fraulein B  :cool:  :kiss:
Happy snorkelling and try not to take your car delay woes out on your fellow hotel bar inmates...  :whistle:

Thanks for the magazine heads up Mr N, I'll grab a copy of that too, either digital or paper.

And good point Graham, the 125d would fare really well against the other cars in the test.
I can't even remember the last time I saw a 125 of any type though.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2015, 14:34 »
Happy snorkelling and try not to take your car delay woes out on your fellow hotel bar inmates...  :whistle:

Thanks for the magazine heads up Mr N, I'll grab a copy of that too, either digital or paper.

And good point Graham, the 125d would fare really well against the other cars in the test.

Yes it is a strange one, you often see the usual raft of VAG dervs which I have long appreciated but the 123 and now 125d never seem to get much of a mention or compared against, and I dont know why, surely its the same chassis as the 135 and therefore going to have all its plus points or at least the majority.
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #6 on: 13 August 2015, 16:26 »
Maybe BMW didn't want to supply one...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline AndyG

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 13 August 2015, 17:55 »

« Last Edit: 13 August 2015, 17:57 by AndyG »
Golf 7R,DSG,5 door White,leather,rear camera.

Offline remlapeel

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 13 August 2015, 18:00 »
This was a good read, nice comprehensive test and varied views
2015 MK7 Golf R 3 door, DSG, lapiz blue, 19" wheels, winter pack, keyless entry, dynaudio and high beam assist.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 13 August 2015, 21:24 »

Yes it is a strange one, you often see the usual raft of VAG dervs which I have long appreciated but the 123 and now 125d never seem to get much of a mention or compared against, and I dont know why, surely its the same chassis as the 135 and therefore going to have all its plus points or at least the majority.
Almost a forgotten model.
One I was aware of in the back of my mind but not something I'd ever have considered. A model in the shadows just lost in the lineup that really could do with a bit of 'image'.
Asker was the one who drew my attention to it some time ago.
As you say, shame it's not in there to show its talents amongst more obvious models.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner