Author Topic: Quick question about DRLs  (Read 2001 times)

Offline remlapeel

• I live here
Quick question about DRLs
« on: 13 March 2015, 09:10 »
Just been in to get my Revo map removed before my car goes in for my gearbox fault. I noticed that the lights were changed to the off position but the DRLs stayed on and the dash lights stayed on. Is that normal and I iust haven't paid attention?

is it literally impossible for me to turn the DRLs off?
2015 MK7 Golf R 3 door, DSG, lapiz blue, 19" wheels, winter pack, keyless entry, dynaudio and high beam assist.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: Quick question about DRLs
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2015, 10:12 »
DRL's should be on with the headlight switch in both the OFF and AUTO position.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 13 March 2015, 10:18 »
You can deactive DRLS with a VCDS tweak if you so wish. By default they should be on in all light modes though, regardless of OFF or AUTO selected.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 13 March 2015, 10:43 »
Doesn't disabling the automatic DRL on function breach the type approval for the vehicle?

I'm not sure if type approval only applies to the sale of new vehicles, but it almost certainly will cause insurance company stress.

Anyway, one way or another, the DRL's make you seen and being seen is only a good thing if you want to avoid accidents in my book...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline remlapeel

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 13 March 2015, 11:03 »
My DRLs were always on, I just noticed the dash lights were on, thought it was strange that even with the light position to auto the dash lights are on.
2015 MK7 Golf R 3 door, DSG, lapiz blue, 19" wheels, winter pack, keyless entry, dynaudio and high beam assist.

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 13 March 2015, 11:38 »
My DRLs were always on, I just noticed the dash lights were on, thought it was strange that even with the light position to auto the dash lights are on.

I think the dash lights come on separately from the headlights. Mine sometimes seem to be on when it is dark in the cabin but my headlights are not on (can tell from the sat nav screen not switching map modes)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 13 March 2015, 13:35 »

I think the dash lights come on separately from the headlights. Mine sometimes seem to be on when it is dark in the cabin but my headlights are not on (can tell from the sat nav screen not switching map modes)

This is correct. There's a sensor which determines when the dash lights are activated based on outside lighting conditions, so they can be on independant from the headlights.  Once you are aware of this you start to notice when the dash lighting comes on and off.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11