Author Topic: GTD Driving style  (Read 4677 times)

Offline mullermn

• GTI forum regular
Re: GTD Driving style
« Reply #10 on: 28 March 2014, 13:55 »
How much damage actually takes place if the TCS intervenes?

I've been assuming that it prevents the wheelspin and therefore prevents excessive tyre wear that you would get with wheelspin (though I have got the crappy teflon Bridgestones so a little extra tyre wear would not be a terrible thing..)

Offline Valenni

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 28 March 2014, 13:59 »
The MK7 GTD needs to be revved harder than the old 170PS unit. The 170 pulled strongly from 1800 to 3500 rpm. The GTD doesn’t seem to come alive until 2300rpm, and pulls quite hard right through to 4000rpm. If I was wanting to put my foot down hard, I’d be making my gear changes to keep it doing at least 2500rpm in the next gear up. Definitely requires a modified driving style to get the best out of it, which may come as a surprise and feel slightly un-natural if you’ve come from a long line of VAG TDIs. As quite a low distance commuter (I do 10k miles a year, but each journey is only 12 miles), the stock set-up leaving me with very noticeable regenning and low mpg compared to my Scirocco 170TDI has frustrated me quite a bit. If you drive the GTD in the 1800 to 3500rpm it’s going to feel a bit limp when you want to put your foot down until you get to 2500rpm.

As cautious and considered as I am with my cars, I have to say that the addition of the DTUK box transforms this engine – it’s like driving one of the high output 3.0TDIs that you’d find in an A5 or A6 – loads more power, but delivered very smoothly and linearly on setting 4+1 and has improved the DPF regen situation no end.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was your DTUK mod? And is it self install? And warranty ok? :-)
Proud owner of a Pure white Golf GTD  - Adaptive Chassis Control - Panoramic sunroof - Dynaudio sound pack.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 28 March 2014, 17:41 »
How much damage actually takes place if the TCS intervenes?

I've been assuming that it prevents the wheelspin and therefore prevents excessive tyre wear that you would get with wheelspin (though I have got the crappy teflon Bridgestones so a little extra tyre wear would not be a terrible thing..)

You might leave a little rubber on the road until the TCS kicks in and reduces the power. I think chassis damage is in reference to tramping, but I wouldn't lose any sleep about what axle damage the tramping coould do unless you have a bout of sustained tramping at every pull-away.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 28 March 2014, 17:46 »

If you don't mind me asking, how much was your DTUK mod? And is it self install? And warranty ok? :-)

The DTUK 2 channel box is £359 with the forum discount, is a 5 min job to install with easy access for both plug-in points. It is considered "warranty" safe not because having one wouldn't invalidate your warranty if there was an engine/turbo issue if VW were aware you had it, but because it is easy to remove and i've been assured that the ECU has no way of telling that it has been installed and logging history of its fitment - traceless once removed.

Offline Valenni

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 29 March 2014, 18:37 »

The DTUK 2 channel box is £359 with the forum discount, is a 5 min job to install with easy access for both plug-in points. It is considered "warranty" safe not because having one wouldn't invalidate your warranty if there was an engine/turbo issue if VW were aware you had it, but because it is easy to remove and i've been assured that the ECU has no way of telling that it has been installed and logging history of its fitment - traceless once removed.

Cheers Monkey, Andrew actually contacted me about it yesterday! Sounds like a no brainer. Going to order next week me thinks. :-)

Are you happy with the improvement?
Proud owner of a Pure white Golf GTD  - Adaptive Chassis Control - Panoramic sunroof - Dynaudio sound pack.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 29 March 2014, 21:24 »

Cheers Monkey, Andrew actually contacted me about it yesterday! Sounds like a no brainer. Going to order next week me thinks. :-)

Are you happy with the improvement?

I'm over the moon with the difference it has made to the car. I think my dad is about to pull the trigger too. He's waiting on a callback from his insurer (AA) that should have happened yesterday.

Offline mullermn

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 01 April 2014, 15:50 »
What sort of difference does one of these boxes make to the cost of insurance, if you don't mind me asking?

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 01 April 2014, 16:06 »
What sort of difference does one of these boxes make to the cost of insurance, if you don't mind me asking?

£44 for me.

Offline Jammy1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 01 April 2014, 17:02 »

£44 for me.

Who was that with please?  Sounds like a steal  :smiley:
Golf GTD, Tornado Red, 5dr, Manual, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Keyless and Winter Pack.  Ordered 15/03/14.  Estimated BW22. Confirmed BW25.  Collected 17/07/14.

Offline virginVWman

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 01 April 2014, 17:41 »
Depends on a number of factors, but i was sure as hell not as nominal an increase of 44 quid
Mk VII 3dr GTD in DBP
Fitted DTUK Stage 2 (CRD-T)