Author Topic: GTD Driving style  (Read 4678 times)

Offline Valenni

• Here all the time
GTD Driving style
« on: 27 March 2014, 13:34 »
Not sure if I have brought this up before, but I am curious to know how my fellow GTD'ers are getting on?

About a month or so into ownership, I found that I was driving it completely wrong. I was driving it like a normal oil burner, expecting the turbo to kick in from the low rev range upward. (From 2k onward)

It left me wondering where the 181Bhp was. (As lesser cars were proving a challenge)

But then I discovered that all the power lies round the 3k onward. So if I am feeling racy or getting ready to overtake, I keep the revs @ 3 and then BOOM it's off like lightening!

Does that sound right for you?

Proud owner of a Pure white Golf GTD  - Adaptive Chassis Control - Panoramic sunroof - Dynaudio sound pack.

Offline davyk31

• I live here
Re: GTD Driving style
« Reply #1 on: 27 March 2014, 13:57 »
Mine has just passed the 1000 mile mark so its play time now, up to that I have been relatively low with the revs. If  I could ever get the car off my wife that is!!
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 27 March 2014, 14:03 »
Certainly has a wider spread of power than previous diesels I have driven... Still has appreciable torque from about 1750 upwards, a much smoother and more linear delivery than other diesels.

This was discussed a few months ago in the GTD sub-forum and in my case I had a direct comparison with the g/f's (now departed) 120d M-Sport.

Others have also posted torque and power curves... so it is (should be) no surprise.

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 27 March 2014, 15:03 »
The MK7 GTD needs to be revved harder than the old 170PS unit. The 170 pulled strongly from 1800 to 3500 rpm. The GTD doesn’t seem to come alive until 2300rpm, and pulls quite hard right through to 4000rpm. If I was wanting to put my foot down hard, I’d be making my gear changes to keep it doing at least 2500rpm in the next gear up. Definitely requires a modified driving style to get the best out of it, which may come as a surprise and feel slightly un-natural if you’ve come from a long line of VAG TDIs. As quite a low distance commuter (I do 10k miles a year, but each journey is only 12 miles), the stock set-up leaving me with very noticeable regenning and low mpg compared to my Scirocco 170TDI has frustrated me quite a bit. If you drive the GTD in the 1800 to 3500rpm it’s going to feel a bit limp when you want to put your foot down until you get to 2500rpm.

As cautious and considered as I am with my cars, I have to say that the addition of the DTUK box transforms this engine – it’s like driving one of the high output 3.0TDIs that you’d find in an A5 or A6 – loads more power, but delivered very smoothly and linearly on setting 4+1 and has improved the DPF regen situation no end.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Gordor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 27 March 2014, 19:59 »
Two distinct modes for me.....nun or stole it  :grin:
GTD Pure White : 19" Santiago's : Winter Pack : Dynaudio : Park Assist : High Beam Assist

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 27 March 2014, 20:12 »
Agree with all the points. As soon as mine is warmed up I regularly take it up the top of the power band. I've never driven a performance diesel before but its nice that the power just doesn't die off.

When I get a DTUK box I can't wait for even more power, just hope the car can keep it down as it struggles with the full throttle in standard form. My car can spin in 1,2&3

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 27 March 2014, 20:32 »
Agree with all the points. As soon as mine is warmed up I regularly take it up the top of the power band. I've never driven a performance diesel before but its nice that the power just doesn't die off.

When I get a DTUK box I can't wait for even more power, just hope the car can keep it down as it struggles with the full throttle in standard form. My car can spin in 1,2&3

3rd gear spin in standard output? I've never had that, even with the crappy Bridgestones. You really have to rein in 1st and 2nd though. The Bridgestones are at their worst in the slightest bit of damp rather than properly wet. I had my first bit of 3rd spin with the DTUK box the other morning when it was cold and ever so slightly damp.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 27 March 2014, 23:55 »
Picked mine up today andd happily its shod in Continentals... not sure I can say much yet about the power delivery but one significant improvement for me is the new 'flick back for Sport and flick again back to D' facility with the DSG box. It makes it so much easier to enagage Sport for engine breaking and tons better than the old Mk.6 box where you had to (bizzarly) squeeze the trigger to get it in to Sport... the only thing you need to be careful about is of you revert to Mk.5 mode and push it forward when in Sport - it will actually be on neatral - will need to watch out for that one!

mjh_056

« Reply #8 on: 28 March 2014, 13:31 »

Had the previous 170BHP in manual and it was nothing and then boom as pressed accelerator as power all came in a rush, with no build up at all. So you would find yourself blasting away from every junction and though that feeling was kind of nice at start and at times when wanted to do it, it was also kind of annoying too as most of time there was no real need.

My expectation of the GTD was much the same but it is completely different and if you have had a performance diesel before you have to ditch all previously knew and learn to drive one all over again to understand how to get best out of that smoother power curve and later 'kick'

The GTD suits my driving far more than the outgoing 170BHP as that stop/start and rush! is replaced by a far smoother acceleration to the 30/40 mph limits. No slower, just smoother.

But do not be disappointed or deceived by this statement as think lost that experience of rush, it just comes a little later in rev range and more appropriately when your are genuinely looking to push it more.

Think we going to keep this GTD for a while eventually replacing the 2nd car and next car? already having thoughts on next model GTi in 2016 :smiley: 

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 28 March 2014, 13:42 »

3rd gear spin in standard output? I've never had that, even with the crappy Bridgestones. You really have to rein in 1st and 2nd though. The Bridgestones are at their worst in the slightest bit of damp rather than properly wet. I had my first bit of 3rd spin with the DTUK box the other morning when it was cold and ever so slightly damp.

Well not spin but the TCS light has been lit up, just with the floor planted. I try to avoid getting the light on though as I fear for the chassis/tyre damage.