Author Topic: GTD - good deal or not?  (Read 4667 times)

Offline Mk1Macca

• I live here
GTD - good deal or not?
« on: 05 January 2014, 20:35 »
Hey all,

I'm looking to get back in to the VW fold and am considering doing something i've never, ever done before so am looking for a bit of a steer from you experienced people.

I was at my local dealership today to figure some numbers, during which time my wife bought a pre reg car (yes, she does things like that) - Mk7 1.6TDI.

I have my eye on an GTD, and want to know if the deal discussed is good, or if it could be better. They seem to say it's the best they can do, but I don't know - having never bought new before.

Buying it on their finance option:

£1K off list price
3 years servicing
£600 fuel card

This is off a stock car that just landed in exactly the colour I want. It has a couple of options I wouldn't have bothered with, but no buggy.

Does this sound good, or should I haggle and walk away? Going for another drive tomorrow night.

Offline SF-GTD

• GTI forum regular
Re: GTD - good deal or not?
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2014, 21:00 »
Hello there.

It's probably worth putting full details of the car and spec up, as that'll let other members work out the kind of discount you could get.  From what you've said I would say the dealer could double that £1k discount without too much trouble.  I've read other members have managed to get around 10% discounts.

It's definitely worth making a few phone calls to other dealers in your area to see if they have any stock cars too, as that would give you scope to haggle with more than one dealer for the best deal.

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2014, 21:21 »
I guess that equates to a £1800 saving which off a very hard to come by stock car I would say that is fair. You could wait a few weeks and hope he comes back with a better offer but by then that car will of gone to someone trying to find a car for March delivery. You will get more off an order placed with an online broker who just wants to simply fill the forward order banks.
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2014, 07:58 »
Depends what the options are. If you're getting (in effect) £1800 off a car but it has £2000 worth of options you'd not spec yourself, then you're not getting a deal - you'd be no better off than buying one with only thhe options you do want, or no options and paying RRP for it.

Some might say it'll be gone in a flash because it is here now, but Christmas-time is a very quiet year for the dealerships. If that car is still there towards the end of the month, they might be more inclined to up the deal. Whatever happens - shy bairns get nowt, so what's the harm in asking for more and saying they have a few days to mull it over? When are they obliged to register it by? If it is registered as a 63 plate literally weeks before the 14 plate comes out then it'll be worth a good £1250 less than a March "14" plate car. That in itself is at least worth asking for another grand off if it is still there towards the end of the month.

All depends how desperate you are to have this car now and whether you're prepared to swallow the cost of options you're not fussed about which will eat into or negate your discount.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 06 January 2014, 09:51 »
Difficult to advise without

a- Knowing the spec of the car

b- knowing what spec you would prefer.

As Monkeyhanger says above - its down to how desperate you are for it but it might well be a beter option to order the car in the spec you really want and get a good discount on that....

Offline karlak

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 06 January 2014, 10:23 »
Don't "demo" vehicles have to be kept for 90 days by the dealer ?

I thought this used it be the rule, as VW UK like there to be stock of demo vehicles out there for customers to try.
Ordered 06/01/14.  5DR GTD DSG, Red. Park Assist | Rear Camera | Keyless entry | Dynaudio | Winter Pack | Pro Nav.

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 06 January 2014, 10:36 »

I thought this used it be the rule, as VW UK like there to be stock of demo vehicles out there for customers to try.

I don't think this is a demo as it's not registered.  Most likely a mucked up order (i.e. wrong spec).

Offline karlak

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 06 January 2014, 10:39 »

I don't think this is a demo as it's not registered.  Most likely a mucked up order (i.e. wrong spec).

Doh!  Thought I had read it had done a 100 miles .  oops    :whistle:
Ordered 06/01/14.  5DR GTD DSG, Red. Park Assist | Rear Camera | Keyless entry | Dynaudio | Winter Pack | Pro Nav.

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 06 January 2014, 11:56 »
No - that the GTI on another thread that was in the showroom (presumably for three months) with £6k off. Now that was a good deal....
« Last Edit: 06 January 2014, 13:30 by Mark V GTD »

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #9 on: 06 January 2014, 12:50 »

True
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.