Author Topic: How are you using your Chassis Control Option?  (Read 4640 times)

Offline Dully

• GTI forum regular
How are you using your Chassis Control Option?
« on: 08 September 2013, 13:52 »
A quick question just aimed at those of you who have been lucky enough to take delivery of your new car and have gone for the Chassis Control option.

I am interested how you are getting on with this option and how you are using it?

My car will be mainly used by the Mrs during the week pottering 5 miles to work and back, I will be giving it a run of about 50 miles round trip to work on motorway at least 1 day (hopefully!). Weekends will be "play time"  :laugh:

I will need to keep it simple for the Mrs, I expect her to just pick Comfort!
Driving - MK7 GTD, 5 Door, CSG, DSG, Santiago's

Offline CraigW

• I live here
Re: How are you using your Chassis Control Option?
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2013, 14:01 »
For my daily commutes back and forward to work I've left it in normal mode for the most part. When I want to have a bit of fun I stick it into sport. I've not really used the comfort mode much and I've not touched the individual set up yet.

ACC, is it worth the money? Well having the car for a few weeks now I'm not so sure to be honest. Sport mode sharpens up the handling and the throttle response and also seems to increase the exhaust note. I've not noticed a huge difference between normal and comfort.

Offline firefly125

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2013, 14:07 »
Similar to my own situ , dully , I have spec with Acc & I'm sharing car with mrs , however she will be doin  80 miles to work , 3 days a week but this is the reason I ordered this option so she will enjoy comfort , but then I get to have the car hardcore on my blasts , coming from a megane cup the sport option on the gti will feel like a "shakletons "high seat  :grin:

Offline vidman2

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 08 September 2013, 15:28 »
I the last Top Gear they reported that the Stig had done fast laps in a new GTi in Comfort, Normal and Sport and that Comfort was actually a couple of tenths quicker round the track.  How that relates to normal road use I don't know so I guess you go with what feels right for you.
2015 R DSG. Limestone Grey, DCC, Winter Pack, Tech Pack, Reversing Camera    plus   2013 Mk7 GTi DSG - Performance, Navigation, Winter Pack, DCC, Park Assist,

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2013, 17:28 »
ACC, is it worth the money? Well having the car for a few weeks now I'm not so sure to be honest. Sport mode sharpens up the handling and the throttle response and also seems to increase the exhaust note. I've not noticed a huge difference between normal and comfort.

Exactly what I summised when placing my order, especially having the original version of the system on my Scirocco. My ACC is always in Sport unless I am on a potholed road in winter (where it gets switched to comfort). Having had a quick go in my dad's GTD and then an extended drive in the Demo GTD, no regrets at all not speccing it. standard set-up is better than my Scirocco's ACC Sport setting. If I was ordering with 19" Santiagos might be tempted to soften the firmer ride - makes the 19" wheels an £1800 option - pricey!

As for all the other options, my car will be left in Sport - no advantage with Eco mode unless you have a DSG and want to take advantage of the freewheeling for marginal mpg gains (at the expense of performance when ADC dictates acceleration to catch up with the car in front).
« Last Edit: 08 September 2013, 17:40 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2013, 17:40 »

Exactly what I summised when placing my order, especially having the original version of the system on my Scirocco. My ACC is always in Sport unless I am on a potholed road in winter (where it gets switched to comfort). Having had a quick go in my dad's GTD and then an extended drive in the Demo GTD, no regrets at all not speccing it. standard set-up is better than my Scirocco's ACC Sport setting.

As for all the other options, my car will be left in Sport - no advantage with Eco mode unless you have a DSG and want to take advantage of the freewheeling for marginal mpg gains (at the expense of performance when ADC dictates acceleration to catch up with the car in front).

From now on your new user name is Sherlock Holmes  :grin: :grin:

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2013, 17:50 »

From now on your new user name is Sherlock Holmes  :grin: :grin:

Matches my role at work. I have been called Sherlock more than once.  :grin:
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline harryhackenbacker

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 08 September 2013, 18:22 »
Chassis Control is personal really , just used it for 2 Years on a mk6 R , with 19's and could always find a suitable
setting for all occasions ,usually in normal ,bad roads Comfort ,flat fast roads Sport .
Unless you are a racing driver ,19's may give a fraction more grip (but in sport as well make the car a lot more Twitchy )

See this test ,the Bloke is a bit of a Plonker ,but knows his stuff  :grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kl8AP6CoyI
MK7 R 3 DOOR DSG PEARL BLACK FULL SPEC CARBON
LEATHER

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 08 September 2013, 19:18 »
The ACC/DCC is different to that on the mk6 and scirocco in that it can now adjust the damping on all 4 wheels individually rather than just across the front or rear axels, so in theory it should give a smoother ride.

And Chris Harris or Steve Sutcliff are pretty much the only reviewers that i find interesting, like you say he knows his stuff!
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 08 September 2013, 19:23 »
i liked the individual set up given the flexibility if gives, e.g. increase steering weight but soften off the damping to suit road conditions

on the roc/mk6 i never got whilst you wanted a softer ride you'd want less steering feel