Author Topic: mk1 electrics  (Read 1404 times)

Offline 4eyes

• Not said much yet
mk1 electrics
« on: 20 March 2004, 20:41 »
Howdy folks,I hope somebody out there can help me.I recently took my battery out for a charge up,put it back(in the dark) all`s well and dandy go to turn my lights on,all outside lights fine but dash board lights,clock and rev counter just wont work,turn lights off,clocks back rev counter works,dash board lights sort of on but dim and really should not be showing anything when switched off, oh man.
Hope I make some kind of sense,cheers 4eyes ???
To much the magic bus

Offline mk1

• I live here
  • 2ltr16v turbo (now with programmable EFI)
Re:mk1 electrics
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2004, 22:03 »
Check the earth connection on the cam cover. Brown wire? with a ring terminal, rear r/hand as viewed form under the bonnet.
Steve.

Offline 4eyes

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2004, 07:07 »
Thank`s a lot, I will check that out.appreciate your help.cheers :)
To much the magic bus

Offline 4eyes

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2004, 10:33 »
Just had a good look around top, bottom(ah my chin) all over but can`t see any sign of any wires any where just some pulleys and the water pump,any another ideas would be greatly appreciated,Thank`s :'(
To much the magic bus

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2004, 11:11 »
Were they ok before you took the battery out and charged it?
All the background and dash lighting tends to come off blue/grey wiring for live. Sounds like you have a problem with that: bad connection, short or it could be a poor earth as Steve has already mentioned.

Think its time to dig the multimeter out and do some con. checks.

Offline lewis

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2004, 11:36 »
Just had a good look around top, bottom(ah my chin) all over but can`t see any sign of any wires any where just some pulleys and the water pump,any another ideas would be greatly appreciated,Thank`s :'(

I had a similar problem with the console dying when I turned my lights on. That was down to the earth connection on the rocker cover like Steve said. It?s on the opposite side to the water pump thought, as you look at your engine it should be on the right side of the rocker cover at the back.

Offline 4eyes

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 21 March 2004, 17:26 »
ok thank`s I`ll look at it again,thank`s everybody.
To much the magic bus

Offline 4eyes

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 21 March 2004, 18:01 »
Yes it`s working fine,thank`s guys your great  ;D
I only got my baby about 6 weeks ago so I got a lot things I need to know but that`s a great start.Cheers all,4eyes
To much the magic bus