Author Topic: fuel tank and pump  (Read 2199 times)

Offline lord14

• Here all the time
fuel tank and pump
« on: 06 January 2011, 18:39 »
i have a non injection tank on the mk1 at the moment and was jsut wondering if i could use a inline pump near enough next to the tannk using th standard tank and pick up pipes

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: fuel tank and pump
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2011, 20:23 »
Hi,  what engine does the car have? You might be able to get away with it but i think you will need the fuel accumulator as well as a pump to keep the pressure up.

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2011, 20:32 »
If it's a non-injection/carburettor set up then I would be wary of using the standard fuel lines. They may not be designed to take the increased pressure that a CIS system would demand. The carburettor lines have the mechanical fuel pump at the engine and will have suction between the tank and pump. Probably worth looking out for a donor set up from a Mk1 or if you could make the Mk2 set up work then you have the added benefit of plastic fuel lines instead of corroded mk1 lines.......not that mine are corroded :wink: but many are :sad:

By using a donor you will get the accumulator and lines, pump itself can be up to you what you use :smiley:
« Last Edit: 06 January 2011, 20:35 by richandhazel »

Offline lord14

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2011, 20:39 »
i have a inline wallbro pump ,  but wernt sure on what tank and lines to use atc, whast the acummalor ? , its a 1,8t

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 06 January 2011, 20:48 »
i have a inline wallbro pump ,  but wernt sure on what tank and lines to use atc, whast the acummalor ? , its a 1,8t

In a normal set up the accumulator sits along side the pump fwd of the O/S rear wheel. If its already set up to run a 1.8T then I would have thought that all the necessary mods have been done.

The accumulator helps to provide a 'smooth' fuel pressure and primarily helps to keep the system pressurised when the ignition/pump is off. When you go to restart the pressure is already in the line so there is very little need for the pump to prime, the buzz you hear when you first turn the ignition on, before start.

Offline lord14

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 06 January 2011, 20:51 »
i done the conversion my self , and thats the only problem at the moment , what to do with the fuel system , ive brought a walbro inline pump and was hoping i could maybe weld a pick up pipe at the side of the tank low down with the pump next to it, maybe with new custom fuel lines and a fuel filter somewhere after ,

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #6 on: 10 January 2011, 12:06 »
ideally fit late mk1 cabby/scirocco in-tank lift pump and under car fuel reservoir, then fit the main pump and filter after that. without the reservoir you'll risk fuel starvation at corners,and without the lift pump the main pump will have to strain to lift fuel out of the tank.  alternative is to fit a tintop gti tank which has a built in swirrl pot, then fit main pump to the outlet on the bottom as per factory tintop gti.

mk3 polo all have the lift pump and reservoir you need also, im talking G40 shape polo
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.