Author Topic: What Engine/Cylinder head have I got  (Read 1181 times)

Offline 200sxman

• Just got here
What Engine/Cylinder head have I got
« on: 14 April 2010, 17:40 »
I have a 1983 mK1 GTI "Y" reg, It has a block with a number starting with the letters EV. I believe this is from a MK 2 1.8 but I don't know.
The cylinder head has the following numbers on it

026103   373 G
It is fitted with the correct electromechanical fuel injection for the Mk1 GTI. I think it might be the head off the origonal engine

Is it possible to fit this head to a MK 2 1.8 block?

I'm just trying to establish what exactly I have got.
If it is a MK2 block would that mate up to a Mk1 gearbox or would you have to fit a MK2 box?

I would be grateful for any clarification.

Offline kraM

• Here all the time
  • It's not the speed, it's the sudden stops...
Re: What Engine/Cylinder head have I got
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2010, 20:35 »
VW 8 valves are pretty mix and match, if it's got the injection, then it's got the right head, as the GTi was the only model to be injected.

The differences were compression and cam timing & ignition timing.

If it works, and is reasonalbly quick, don't worry about it, it's 27 years old, so a lot could have happened in that time.

kraM
It's not the speed... it's the sudden stops...

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2010, 20:52 »
the head seems correct, what makes you think the block has been changed?... like kraM said, even if it has i wouldnt worry about it unless you are having trouble.

Offline 200sxman

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 15 April 2010, 08:04 »
Hi, thanks for your responses. The car runs very well, I'm just trying to find out what I've got! The reason I'm questioning the block is that I've been told the EV designation is off a Mk2 1.8 Golf not a GTI.

Thanks

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #4 on: 15 April 2010, 14:41 »
ev is mk2 golf gti k-jet engine. exactly the same as a DX 1.8 mk1 gti block, excet inlet points the other way. later mk2 blocks had hydro lifters, but then so did later dx blocks fitted to later rocco/cabby.

base 1.8 block is same across many models, even same on 1.8 carbys. just the head that differs to make it an injection lump, plus mech fuel pump removed and blanked off
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.