Author Topic: So then, what car are you buying next?  (Read 377228 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: So then, what car are you buying next?
« Reply #2210 on: 08 May 2014, 23:30 »
well this goes back to the dealer on Saturday after two months of fun :cry:

and i pick mine up  :grin:

I dread to think how many miles you put on it  :grin:

Pics of yours when you get it please  :smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2211 on: 08 May 2014, 23:40 »
I've been in the dealers today with my Golf. Having walked around the showroom looking at the swirled and water marked cars in the showroom and listening in to the bollox that the salesmen were spouting when trying to sell cars to people with not much idea, I dread the thought of buying another car.

I like having a nice car, but I really don't find the whole purchasing experience enjoyable at all.

I'm with you, Dubber. I really dislike the whole buying experience. When I bought my current car, I knew more about it than the dealer did. The salesman tried to sell me carpet mats, even though I told him they were part of the standard spec. (He didn't believe me, and had to check the brochure!). He then tried the hard sell on Autoglym Lifeshine, and seemed a little annoyed when I declined to take this at the over-inflated price VW charges. I wouldn't have had them apply it, even if it was free; much rather protect my car myself. 

When the time comes to change, I'll consider the broker route, although at the moment, I'm happy with my mk6. It's been pretty much trouble-free, squeak and rattle-free, the paintwork looks great after I recently machine polished it, and apart from a very small number of stonechips that I've sorted with a Chipex kit, it looks as good as new.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #2212 on: 09 May 2014, 00:23 »

4k in 9 weeks, I haven't used it much for the last two, pics of mine after it has been tweaked to how I like it :)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2213 on: 09 May 2014, 07:44 »
The thing that puts me off about using a broker is there is one more link in the chain, therefore who will take responsibility for the inevitable paint marks and scratches?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2214 on: 09 May 2014, 07:44 »

4k in 9 weeks, I haven't used it much for the last two, pics of mine after it has been tweaked to how I like it :)

:shocked:

Ok, mate.  Look forward to seeing it  :smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2215 on: 09 May 2014, 08:08 »
The thing that puts me off about using a broker is there is one more link in the chain, therefore who will take responsibility for the inevitable paint marks and scratches?

I'm sure there are various options with brokers so you'd have to read the small print. 

The way I did it was sort of half and half.  Ordered through online company, who arrange a purchase price of a new car with approved dealerships. The car is ordered directly through the dealership (to your exact spec) and the deposit and all subsequent payment is made to the dealer.  In this arrangement responsibility for issues lies with the dealer.  Obviously it is still going through a dealer but get secure a much better price and I had no crap from the dealer at all.  I went for this after becoming exasperated with my local dealership.   It worked for me but maybe not everyone's cup of tea.

2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #2216 on: 09 May 2014, 09:11 »

The broker has nothing to do with the purchase of the car though. They are purely middle men who have arranged a reduction in price as they are putting 0000's of new customers the dealers way. They get cash from the dealer for arranging this.

My experience so far with drivethedeal has been, fill in their web form and get an instant price of over £3k discount  :grin:
Tell them you want to go ahead.
The broker then phones you for a deposit so they know you are serious. This is then the end of their involvement.
Within a few days the dealer contacts you to confirm order / options are correct and orders the car.

Its exactly like ordering from a dealer without the "Wait till I ask my manager if we can squeeze another £10.75 off the asking price" nonsense.

HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Obbzi

• I live here
« Reply #2217 on: 16 May 2014, 21:40 »
What do people mean by "brokers"?  :embarrassed:
2008 R32 DBP gone. 2008 GT TDI going 2009 GTI coming soon!

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2218 on: 16 May 2014, 21:49 »
What do people mean by "brokers"?  :embarrassed:

An individual, company or brokerage firm, such as drivethedeal.com, who arrange transactions between a buyer and a seller for a commission when the deal is executed.  The customer approaches the broker initially (usually an online company) with desired car spec, the broker secures a discounted price with an approved dealership (who pays the broker a commission for securing custom) then the remainder of the transaction is between customer and dealership as normal. 

It's all about getting a hefty discount, usually a fair bit more than a dealer will be prepared to offer directly. You may have to travel to get the car or it can be delivered.  I would always collect, no matter how far it may be.  Last time I used a broker I went to Macclesfield to collect, journey back was a nice introduction to the car.
« Last Edit: 16 May 2014, 21:57 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Obbzi

• I live here
« Reply #2219 on: 18 May 2014, 20:04 »
Thanks Booth11!  :smiley: Do you have any more broker companies please? Think I have decided on a Mk7 R  :rolleyes:
2008 R32 DBP gone. 2008 GT TDI going 2009 GTI coming soon!