Author Topic: Performance brake pad recommendation  (Read 5210 times)

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
Performance brake pad recommendation
« on: 20 August 2008, 17:49 »
I have been using Mintex Xtreme brake pads on the Golf trackcar this year. They are very good with no fade, but they are no longer being made.
Has anyone got any recommendations for another make (not interested in EBC Green Red or Yellow due to bad experiences on other cars)

Thanks

Paul

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
Re: Performance brake pad recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2008, 18:12 »
Ferodo DS2500's not used them myself but ive been told thay are REALLY good by a few people  :wink:

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2008, 20:45 »
Given that your car's stripped out, have you tried OE-spec pads and new OE-spec discs?

Mine seem to be holding up very well.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2008, 12:48 »
Given that your car's stripped out, have you tried OE-spec pads and new OE-spec discs?

Mine seem to be holding up very well.
Good point - The original (I presume OE) brakes worked well, but suffered a bit of fade after 10 to 15 minutes on track, but I then renewed the pads with new OE ones and they were crap (might have had a faulty set of pads) so I went to Mintex xtreme which were brilliant.
Managed to source a set of Mintex Xtreme now but will try some OE pads again next time.
The Ferodo DS2500 definately seem to have a good write up and review but are mega expensive.
Off to Castle Combe on the 29th to finish off the current pads so lets hope its a bit drier this time around.

Cheers
Paul

Offline cs98sss4

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 21 August 2008, 12:57 »
How about a set of Mintex M1155 for £50.
PM me if your interested.
Golf MK3 16V ABF "Anniversary"

Offline stuey

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 21 August 2008, 17:14 »
I have got Ferodo DS pads in my Mk2 track car and they seen to work ok, haven't noticed any fading etc. Not much cheaper than the 2500's though.

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 21 August 2008, 17:25 »
How about a set of Mintex M1155 for £50.
PM me if your interested.
Thanks, got some now.

Paul

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #7 on: 21 August 2008, 17:42 »
another  :afro: for ds2500s

Offline Hypermonkey

• GTI forum regular
  • Only users lose drugs!
« Reply #8 on: 22 August 2008, 23:02 »
What type of car are these to be run on. I've a Mk1 GTi and have found the best combination to be stock discs (well 280mm ones from G60) and Yellow Stuff pads. I know you said you have had a bad experience with these but so did I on my Scooby. They tend to be crap on heavier cars but on the Mk1 they are unbeaten. I spoke to EBC re the different discs such as grooved/drilled/both and they said that for the weight of the car it would be pointless using anything but standard.
I have cooling ducts with a large diameter hose attached that goes straight to the calliper and this works so well that I have to tape over the ducts on road use and uncover on track. My last set of pads did several trackdays (2xGoodwood,1xbrands,2xCombe,1xBedford,1xSilverstone) and 2000 road miles before needing replacing. Might be worth giving them another chance  :smiley:

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #9 on: 24 August 2008, 21:33 »
Ferodo DS are ok, but not brilliant.  DS2500's are amazing, though. 
Current Car:- 2014 GTI PP manual, white.

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Car now for sale >>> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140614.0