Author Topic: Dash board lights not working  (Read 7119 times)

Offline Joester

• Not said much yet
Re:Dash board lights not working
« Reply #10 on: 09 August 2004, 13:53 »
I have this problem.
I have got used to glancing at the dash when directly under streetlamps in order to gauge speed, etc.  This can be a worry when being followed by the law.

I intend to get this sorted soon, fortunately I am a dab-hand with a multimeter.
I would check 12V on the back of the bulb, and at the switch.
If there is, try powering the bulbs with a separate 12V (I.e a big duracell battery) and see if they work themselves.
If the bulbs don't work - new bulbs, if they do but there is no voltage, check for continuity both to the source, and to ground.
Meters are excellent tools once you have got used to them.

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
  • Seattle WA, USA and Middlesex, UK
« Reply #11 on: 09 August 2004, 14:03 »
I'll try that out, thanks.
Old Skool Mk1 Golf Gli (82), Mk1 US Cab 85 and 83
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline AdamB

• I live here
  • The Perfect Storm
« Reply #12 on: 09 August 2004, 16:30 »
The earth track on the PCB at the rear of the dash took a hit, on mine. So I hard wired a new earth strap in, bypassing the burnt track. This overcame my problem and allowed the lights to work again. Wiring in a couple of new wires straight to any source that comes live with the headlights (i.e. cigarette lighter surround, lights in the VDO gauges, lights on any switch) would be a good way of getting round things.
I don't own this anymore - I just can't be arsed to change the picture

Offline greenie

• Not said much yet
Re: Dash board lights not working
« Reply #13 on: 17 August 2004, 15:27 »
Me again ........>!! i had the same prob when i bought
my first MK1 cab .....I changed the switch....worked perfect ...good luck

Andy

Offline AndyF

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 04 September 2004, 00:05 »
Myn used to flicker when I accelerated hard and one night blow altogether.  Had a sparky fix them for me; it was some little silver box on the back of the clocks (sorry cant remember what it was called, it was about 2years ago), don?t think it was that expensive.  Problem is it still has the flickers when accelerating hard, I?m hopeing it?s just an earth fault. :-\

Offline DANO

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 05 September 2004, 10:09 »
I had the same problem. I kept the battery connected, the pod connected to the plug at the rear and sat in the dark garage with a piece of wire and 'bridged' across the metal bulb fastener (or whatever it called) and the printed circuit. It took ages and a lot of patience because when the pod is replaced it invariably knocked the wire. In the end i covered the small piece of wire with masking tape and its worked ever since (over a whole year!!) Some would say that its not adviseable to mess with electrics with the battery connected but how else can you check?