Author Topic: Just got me an Ipad3 64gb  (Read 2882 times)

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Just got me an Ipad3 64gb
« Reply #20 on: 19 June 2012, 18:19 »
... I also went for 2 year insurance on top of that for £65.

Are you sure you bought the right cover, that should have been £175 for that device ...

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/care-plans-tablets-136-commercial.html

Offline rolty_gti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 19 June 2012, 23:44 »
I've got the same iPad as you fella,did u get it with 4g?
Had mine for around a month now and well happy with it! Pukka for films and games when u get bored lol.
Handbrake is a nifty must have!
Also as others have said get I player 4od etc.
Also get a good leather case, dropped mine a few times and the case I've got has protected it nicely  :wink:

Ummm interesting...

How does Handbrake software work. i.e. if I download load the software on my desktop pc how do I then get the film on to the ipad?

E

+1what that man said  :grin:

Handbrake is used for converting films, so you convert your films to mp4 then drop them into itunes & sync  :cool:
LCR Decor - Quality affordable home improvements, we also take on commercial work, www.lcr-decor.co.uk free quotes! essex/london/kent and surrounding areas. call lee-07984106950 e-mail-leerolt@lcr-decor.co.uk

Offline MAW73

• I live here
  • Used to like Golfs :-)
« Reply #22 on: 20 June 2012, 14:18 »

Are you sure you bought the right cover, that should have been £175 for that device ...

Yes was def £65 for insurance cover. Maybe they were doing a deal at the time.

2007 VW Mk5 Golf GT 5 Door DSG
2009 VW Mk6 Golf GTI 5 Door DSG
2012 BMW F20 125i M Sport, Auto
2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #23 on: 20 June 2012, 14:23 »
£175 for insurance?  :shocked: :shocked:

Feck me that's nearly half the price of the item anyway! 

I see little point in paying for 3rd party insurance.  The money would be better used going towards replacing the item when it comes to the end of its life.

Most stuff is covered under your household policy anyway or can be added for just a few quid  :nerd:

Offline Kerrse

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 20 June 2012, 15:28 »
Most stuff is covered under your household policy anyway or can be added for just a few quid  :nerd:

Yep this is why i never buy insurance as all covered under the house insurance

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
« Reply #25 on: 20 June 2012, 18:59 »

Yes was def £65 for insurance cover. Maybe they were doing a deal at the time.

Well, I would double check, its very unlikely it was a deal. I used to work for DSG and cover was never discounted/promo'ed. And if you have the wrong policy, should the worst happen, it will be worthless - regardless of whether it was a misrep/accident or not.

Its actually worth it, when the cost is reasonable (£175 isn't, but £65 certainly would be). The moment you start making claims on your household insurance is the moment your premiums go up, so that extra £65 you would have spent will be near doubled and reflected on your annual premium.

Not to mention the fact that insurance replacement is a palaver and usually leaves you with a substandard product based on current cash value, not like-for-like.

At PCW, we used to have a tonne of instant-replacement (now called "whatever happens") replacements happen at the counter in store - and it always meant getting an equal product, or better (whatever was in stock basically). Taxi drivers with TomToms used to walk in with a smashed entry level TomTom and walk out with a 310 worth twice the price, all for the sake of £20.

So if he has paid £65, and it is in-fact the adequate level of cover (please, OP, check!), then in 1 year when the "new Ipad" is dead and gone; and the OP "accidentally" drops it - it'll be replaced with the latest and greatest "new new Ipad", no questions asked. No calling insurance companies, recording claims, waiting for valuation, paying an excess, then paying a bigger premium at the end of the year.

The gadget cover on bank accounts is equally as good as far as I'm concerned, anything that doesn't record a historical insurance claim is a good thing.