Author Topic: Guide to removing / bypassing the N249 valve.  (Read 60639 times)

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
Re: Guide to removing / bypassing the N249 valve.
« Reply #40 on: 09 August 2011, 08:13 »
I'm looking into this, mainly to reduce all the standard pipes that are known to leak boost, here is the dilemma, I have an ARZ engine and previous posts here dont think it has the N249, BUT I definatley have the reservoir on the top of coil pack 4, other than ripping the lot off and seeing if there is an actual N249 am I right in saying it must have one because of the reservoir?
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline Granta Gti

• I live here
« Reply #41 on: 12 August 2011, 15:58 »
ARZs do have them mate, it says earlier in the thread they don't but they do! Done it to mine and it's an ARZ

Offline GTIcheeseman

• Here all the time
« Reply #42 on: 28 May 2012, 19:50 »
can this bedone to the agu 1.8t ? also what does this achieve?

Offline barry-gti

• I live here
« Reply #43 on: 28 May 2012, 22:57 »
AGU's dont have an N249.

Offline wasps1990

• GTI forum regular
  • Per Mare, Per Terram
« Reply #44 on: 03 June 2012, 00:47 »
I removed mine last week and will be putting it back on this week.

From my experience i Would not reccomend it to anyone. Car seems more jolty when accelerating, failed emmissions test! And the car still ticks over higher on a cold start so not really sure what it does lol. A lot of unburnt fuel was coming through on the emmisions test so i have a feeling this pump is always doing something. And also even if u put a resistor in the pump harness you still get a sai incorect flow fault code and engine management light.

So for anybody thinking of doing it i wouldnt bother!

are u talking about that mod or this one coz im thinking about doing this mod (n249 valve) but wont bother if it f**ks up emmissions n so on thanks alex

Offline Nino

• I live here
« Reply #45 on: 28 August 2012, 18:48 »
Just to clear this up, by doing this mod will it cause ssue with emissions? and can it be done to an AUM?
VW Car history
Mk3 1.8 GL - Silver - 5 door
Mk4 1.8t - Silver - 3 door
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door
Mk4 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue - 3 door
MK6 2.0 TDI - Graphite Blue - 5 door
MK7 GTD - Solid Black - 5 door
MK6 GTi Edition 35 - Candy White - 3 door

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
« Reply #46 on: 28 August 2012, 19:21 »
Just to clear this up, by doing this mod will it cause ssue with emissions? and can it be done to an AUM?

I did this to our AUM a couple of years ago.  Has passed two MOTs since then.  No worries   :wink:

Build thread clicky

Offline Nino

• I live here
« Reply #47 on: 28 August 2012, 19:37 »
Thankyou, i'll look into it then :)
VW Car history
Mk3 1.8 GL - Silver - 5 door
Mk4 1.8t - Silver - 3 door
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door
Mk4 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue - 3 door
MK6 2.0 TDI - Graphite Blue - 5 door
MK7 GTD - Solid Black - 5 door
MK6 GTi Edition 35 - Candy White - 3 door

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #48 on: 30 August 2012, 19:59 »
I removed mine last week and will be putting it back on this week.

From my experience i Would not reccomend it to anyone. Car seems more jolty when accelerating, failed emmissions test! And the car still ticks over higher on a cold start so not really sure what it does lol. A lot of unburnt fuel was coming through on the emmisions test so i have a feeling this pump is always doing something. And also even if u put a resistor in the pump harness you still get a sai incorect flow fault code and engine management light.

So for anybody thinking of doing it i wouldnt bother!

are u talking about that mod or this one coz im thinking about doing this mod (n249 valve) but wont bother if it f**ks up emmissions n so on thanks alex

Dont know what you actually did, but you cant have done something right
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline tomparkes

• Not said much yet
  • OEM+
« Reply #49 on: 14 January 2013, 13:37 »
Bringing this back from the dead - I know, I know... :rolleyes:

Just wanted to clarify (as some of the later posts are querying), bypassing the N249 won't affect emissions. BaV was talking about removing the secondary air pump, which is used to bring the catalytic converter up to temperature when cold starting. Removing this pump won't do much for performance (probably nothing actually) but will tidy up the engine bay at the same time as affecting emissions. If you remove it, make sure you put it back on before getting your car MOT'd :wink:

On a side note - I'm thinking of bypassing the N249 on my AUM to see what all the fuss is about - I assume this kind of "modification" needs to be declared to the insurance company? Before anyone starts having a go, I'm not the sort of person that wants to hide anything from them in order to save myself a few quid, I am genuinely unsure as to whether this would need to be declared. After all, it's bypassing something that already exists, not adding something fancy/expensive. Cheers.

2004 1.8T AUM | CM Silicone Hoses | Pipercross Panel Filter | Smoothed Stock Airbox | Weitec Ultra GT -40mm Springs & Shocks | Genuine 18" Anni BBS RC's | Anni GTI Front Grill Badge | Sharan Rear Badge | Polo Stubby Aerial | Black Centre Console

My Build Thread