Author Topic: Turbo solutions - re-conditioned turbo's  (Read 1243 times)

allan1982

Turbo solutions - re-conditioned turbo's
« on: 19 May 2014, 21:51 »
Do not get a re-conditioned from this company as they are putting out turbo's that are'nt set up right. I have found this out as fitted one 3 months ago which has packed in already, the variable vain is not set up correctly according to 2 different mechanics & there 2 year warranty isnt worth a damn as they blame your engine and say it's not there problem. A word of advice.

Offline Chris.

• I live here
Re: Turbo solutions - re-conditioned turbo's
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2014, 01:30 »
Turbo solutions in darlington?

Click For Build Thread

248bhp  278lbft R - Tech Powered 1.8T!!  - Gone but NOT forgotton

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2014, 12:31 »
by the sounds of it yes, heard nothing but bad reviews of them.

as the op says as they do not fit the turbos they blame any problem on the way the turbo is fitted / damage done when fitted etc.

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2014, 20:30 »
Many Turbos ARE fitted incorrectly! Theirs a lot more to fitting a turbo than just swapping the part over!
When a new or reconditioned turbo is fitted, and fails, the fitter will always blame the problem on the product, and not themselves!
Just saying be sure about the facts before naming and shaming a 3rd party company on the Net!

Thom

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2014, 21:56 »
Depending on the turbo there are only about two companies in the UK that can actually setup a turbo as per the manufacturer

This is especially true if its a Garret VNT turbo  :nerd:

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2014, 12:46 »
Many Turbos ARE fitted incorrectly! Theirs a lot more to fitting a turbo than just swapping the part over!
When a new or reconditioned turbo is fitted, and fails, the fitter will always blame the problem on the product, and not themselves!
Just saying be sure about the facts before naming and shaming a 3rd party company on the Net!

Thom

Know a few local garages who used to use them. They've all had problems with turbos they've fitted from there. And all have changed to companies down South now.

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2014, 01:06 »
Do not get a re-conditioned from this company as they are putting out turbo's that are'nt set up right. I have found this out as fitted one 3 months ago which has packed in already, the variable vain is not set up correctly according to 2 different mechanics & there 2 year warranty isnt worth a damn as they blame your engine and say it's not there problem. A word of advice.

For a Turbo to last 3 months, suggests that their was no previous problem directly after fitting the new unit... boosting problems would put the vehicle into limp mode, assuming that everything else was perfect!
What caused the turbo to fail in the first place... poor servicing history?

OP states that 2 different Mechanics expressed an opinion that the Turbo unit was at fault... how the hell could they know without stripping the car/turbo to come to this conclusion! with that diagnosis, neither of these would I let anywhere near my car!

Failure to deal with any of the pre fitting requirements prior to fitting of the new unit, would ultimately lead to the turbo's early demise

OP, ask the garage that fitted the "Faulty" unit if they carried out ALL of the required checks in the link below... my money is on they just swapped out the old unit, and in with the new!

http://www.midlandturbo.com/fitting_guide/

Thom

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2014, 09:14 »
One thing I have seen on a BMW diesel is an impatient boss wanting to go home at 2:30 on a Friday going "this car takes loads of oil".

Turned out it didn't and it just took quite a while for it to settle to get an accurate reading.

Cue him standing outside with the keys in his hand thinking the engine wouldn't shut off until it suddenly revved the guts out before I jumped in and smashed it in drive to get the revs down and him squeezing the life out of the intake pipe to starve it of air.

Funniest and scariest thing I ever saw as an apprentice. :grin:

That needed a new turbo after that and I assume I took a fair few miles of life out of the gearbox and drivetrain. :grin:

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2014, 09:19 »
A 0 post newbie slagging a company off?

Personally I would remove the thread, this forum is not a soapbox for randoms!
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2014, 09:31 »
Never buy a reconditioned VNT turbo full stop. On average we do 2 or 3 turbos a week, we only supply new units but occasionally the customer will supply their own recon unit and its 50/50 whether they've been built properly or had the stop screw for the vnt and the actuator rod set up properly.

Garrett actually put out a technical bulletin last year regarding this, I'll have to see if i can dig it out.