Author Topic: Turbo or supercharger  (Read 7374 times)

Offline Egbutt Wash

• I live here
Re: Turbo or supercharger
« Reply #80 on: 08 January 2011, 19:57 »
Had a supercharger on my Jag.  Thirsty, even at low revs.  The nice little turbo on real Mk5 GTI's is superb.  No lag, fast and frugal.
Currently digging a bunker.

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #81 on: 09 January 2011, 04:15 »

the optinal way to do it is to basicly build a turbofan jet engine but the fan in a compressor inpeller desinged for pressure more than flow, this way is much much much mre efficent a lot quiter but still dose get quite hot  it is also much more reliable

the advantage of this system is you can have 40+ psi of boost from idel to the red line if you want with NO lag at all, it's actualy more responsive than a supercharger as the whole system is fully pressuriesd all the way to the throttel butterfly all the time. you tune like you would a supercharger enigne but there is no parastic load on the cranck from the supercharger as it's produceing it's own power   :laugh:

the downsides are.  they are LOUD,  they get very very HOT and f**king hell they guzzel some fuel a bit quick

Nick Mann has done this for the hills and its VERY effective http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11687nVdzdk.

BTW, there is a lot of sh!te being bandied around in this thread by people who think they know something and appear to know nothing.

To the OP, buy a book on forced induction, you will find that there are several different styles of superchargers each with their own benefits (and that doesnt necessarily include lag free performance!) and that are suited to particular types of power delivery with widely varying efficiencies. You will also find that a well sized turbo installation is just as good as any of them if you control it properly, dont chase a ridiculous amount of power or torque, select a modern unit (they have come a long way, especially the VNT ones suited to petrol powered use such as in the Cayenne Turbo!) and take the necessary steps to prevent detonation to allow the use of decent compression ratios.

with a correctly sized ball bearing varivle vane turbo you can get some very inpressive powercurves and littel lag.  but a boost engine  just takes it to a completely diffrent level and willl make you say OhMyf**kingGod as they are absolutly engine smashingly brutal
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline DOA

• I live here
« Reply #82 on: 10 January 2011, 02:17 »
but a boost engine  just takes it to a completely diffrent level and willl make you say OhMyf**kingGod as they are absolutly engine smashingly brutal

That I can easily beleive lol!

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/supercharger1.htm

That however tells you absolutely nothing of any real use about the job of adding a supercharger to your engine. Follow some of the links to the manufacturers pages that appear on there though (or look for them online) and you will find actual geeky stuff. Assuming you have a small budget you will be looking at either a G60 or a mini supercharger. If the G60, just use a G60 engine complete from a corrado as that will be infinately easier and the chargers themselves are much more efficient than the roots style charger they use in mini's. Despite their poor reliability reputation, they are one of the best designs ever produced, they just arent really designed with 100,000 miles worth of use in mind. However, if you use one from a mini, go to the Eaton webpage and have a read on there about them, they even used to have a sizing program on there for their chargers that let you get a vague idea of what gains you could expect from fitting their designs. You would want the larger unit that was fitted to the JCW models I think. The other alternative on a budget comes from I think the Mercedes 230 Kompressor engine (double check that, it might be a slightly larger engine) that uses a whipple/lysholm type that is again, much more efficient than the mini style ones and will allow you to keep some capacity in reserve for later improvements (increased compression ratio, water or methanol spray and proper intercooling along with a properly specced cam and head job).

Oh and to the OP, for fuel economy I would go for a turbo installation using a modern unit and a proper ECU assuming you can keep your foot away from the loud pedal occasionaly or alternatively a supercharger if you fit an electromagnetic clutch to the supercharger drive pulley and a bypass valve for when you arent using much throttle, again using a proper ECU.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2011, 02:21 by DOA »

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #83 on: 10 January 2011, 09:02 »
If you use one from a mini, go to the Eaton webpage and have a read on there about them, they even used to have a sizing program on there for their chargers that let you get a vague idea of what gains you could expect from fitting their designs. You would want the larger unit that was fitted to the JCW models I think. The other alternative on a budget comes from I think the Mercedes 230 Kompressor engine (double check that, it might be a slightly larger engine) that uses a whipple/lysholm type that is again.

Mini and Mercs both use Eaton Blowers, M45 on the Mini and a M62 on the 230k

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
« Reply #84 on: 10 January 2011, 10:20 »
but a boost engine  just takes it to a completely diffrent level and willl make you say OhMyf**kingGod as they are absolutly engine smashingly brutal

That I can easily beleive lol!

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/supercharger1.htm

That however tells you absolutely nothing of any real use about the job of adding a supercharger to your engine. Follow some of the links to the manufacturers pages that appear on there though (or look for them online) and you will find actual geeky stuff. Assuming you have a small budget you will be looking at either a G60 or a mini supercharger. If the G60, just use a G60 engine complete from a corrado as that will be infinately easier and the chargers themselves are much more efficient than the roots style charger they use in mini's. Despite their poor reliability reputation, they are one of the best designs ever produced, they just arent really designed with 100,000 miles worth of use in mind. However, if you use one from a mini, go to the Eaton webpage and have a read on there about them, they even used to have a sizing program on there for their chargers that let you get a vague idea of what gains you could expect from fitting their designs. You would want the larger unit that was fitted to the JCW models I think. The other alternative on a budget comes from I think the Mercedes 230 Kompressor engine (double check that, it might be a slightly larger engine) that uses a whipple/lysholm type that is again, much more efficient than the mini style ones and will allow you to keep some capacity in reserve for later improvements (increased compression ratio, water or methanol spray and proper intercooling along with a properly specced cam and head job).

Oh and to the OP, for fuel economy I would go for a turbo installation using a modern unit and a proper ECU assuming you can keep your foot away from the loud pedal occasionaly or alternatively a supercharger if you fit an electromagnetic clutch to the supercharger drive pulley and a bypass valve for when you arent using much throttle, again using a proper ECU.

Like Mad Max :cool: I've always thought that would be cool in a black more door mk2 :smiley:

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline DOA

• I live here
« Reply #85 on: 10 January 2011, 10:58 »

Thought that was probably the case hence the double check it caveat, I knew the "smaller" mercs used Eatons. Its the AMG 3.2 version I meant then. On second thoughts, thats way too big lol, thought it was for a 2.8L engine for some obscure reason.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #86 on: 10 January 2011, 11:05 »

Thought that was probably the case hence the double check it caveat, I knew the "smaller" mercs used Eatons. Its the AMG 3.2 version I meant then. On second thoughts, thats way too big lol, thought it was for a 2.8L engine for some obscure reason.

Yep sounds about right, from memory the M45 is for up to 1.6 and the M62 is for up to 2.5 I believe.