Author Topic: turbo g60 (skyline gt28 turbo??)  (Read 3170 times)

Offline dub-addict

• Here all the time
turbo g60 (skyline gt28 turbo??)
« on: 24 February 2010, 00:01 »
I have future plans on turning my mk1 g60 into a turbo. I have sourced a gt28 turbo that my mate has spare , it is off an single turbo skyline R33. I dont know the spec/trim off the turbo yet but i am curious if anyone knows or has heard of people using these exact turbos before on our beloved 8v/16v's?

any help greatly appreciated  :smiley:

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
Re: turbo g60 (skyline gt28 turbo??)
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2010, 00:09 »
Jabbasport do/did an IHI turbo kit for the G60.. similar jap application turbo and had could chuck enough air in the chambers to bend G60 rods if not mapped in properly :laugh: Upgraded rods are a must imo.

Offline dub-addict

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2010, 00:24 »
Jabbasport do/did an IHI turbo kit for the G60.. similar jap application turbo and had could chuck enough air in the chambers to bend G60 rods if not mapped in properly :laugh: Upgraded rods are a must imo.

my g60 was professionally rebuilt around 3000 miles ago with overbored pistons and new bearings ,apr bolts all round etc etc , standard g60 rods tho but they were fine. I intend to bolt it all up and get the standard ecu remapped for 250+ it should hold just fine ,i hope  :rolleyes: but any ideas what kinda figures i could aim for on an 8v ??  :evil:

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2010, 00:29 »
270 with head work maybe. What is your cam setup like?

most gt28 turbos can push a 1.8 over 300bhp but i think that's where the rods give up

Offline dub-addict

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2010, 00:36 »
mild g60 schrick cam setup, but do still have the original and perhaps i will revert back to the original to avoid any slight overlap (if there is any with the schrick cam)

but for me 300 would be perfect, after all it sitting in a stripped and caged mk1 golf  :smiley:

Im just hoping that the turbo is an external wastegate one, so that i can fit my tial 38mm i have,on to the manifold.

Offline russ-vdub

• I live here
  • Once a Dub, Always a Dub
« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2010, 13:32 »
You running wide track and wide wheels etc? Just wondered with that much power in a stripped car it'd be hard to keep the power down..

Offline dub-addict

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 24 February 2010, 14:55 »
You running wide track and wide wheels etc? Just wondered with that much power in a stripped car it'd be hard to keep the power down..

no its not wide tracked i only have the corrado g60 280mm brake setup and the turbo to weigh it down some more at the front lol  :grin:
But i want to run wider wheels to give it more area to cling onto but i dont want to compromise on handling and in no way do i want to alter the camber too much.
But 300 bhp in a mk1 is not uncommon so i will give it a shot :) my current 220 my charger is kicking out is controllable and it only gets used in the dryest conditions

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #7 on: 24 February 2010, 18:36 »
you still haven't mentioned head work - that needs sorting big time if you want to get anywhere near 300 from an 8v without nitrous (and that'll last 5 minutes :grin: )

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #8 on: 24 February 2010, 19:23 »
Yer as topher said, you need to work a 300bhp engine from bottom to top, TT bearings both ends, stronger rods, stronger pistons, board head (NO GASKET STACKING!) and all the checks and replacements in-between.
 Just break it down in your head to a per rod basis if that makes sense. Its easy to say yer 300bhp engine and look at it as a bit chunk of heavy metal when actually each piston rod and bearing will have 75 bhp on it! Which is more per piston that most 'city cars' have in there entire engine.
 Im all for the idea, and is an awsome project, just think you should be more concerned about making the power properly before how your gonna put it down.  :laugh:

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline dub-addict

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 24 February 2010, 21:28 »
Yer as topher said, you need to work a 300bhp engine from bottom to top, TT bearings both ends, stronger rods, stronger pistons, board head (NO GASKET STACKING!) and all the checks and replacements in-between.
 Just break it down in your head to a per rod basis if that makes sense. Its easy to say yer 300bhp engine and look at it as a bit chunk of heavy metal when actually each piston rod and bearing will have 75 bhp on it! Which is more per piston that most 'city cars' have in there entire engine.
 Im all for the idea, and is an awsome project, just think you should be more concerned about making the power properly before how your gonna put it down.  :laugh:

its a g60 so its low comp and has forged pistons and arp rod bolts. no head gasket stacking needed and a standard g60 head has bigger ports than a standard 8v ( but i am still going to do some work on it anyway) no new rods are needed. these are sufficient for 300. if not we will find out  :grin: ITS A FULLY REBUILT ENGINE , NEW EVERYTHING

anyway the gt28 from a skyline....

« Last Edit: 24 February 2010, 21:31 by dub-addict »