Author Topic: monkeyalan - mk2 16v small bumper  (Read 13974 times)

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
Re: monkeyalan - mk2 16v small bumper
« Reply #20 on: 23 August 2007, 14:36 »
went to the scrappy this morning for a few more bits n bobs.

the main one being the weighted shift rod.

as anyone whos done this mod will know, it's one of the easiest and satisfyingly cheap you can do on the mk2.

I also finished the cosmetic mods on the front end.

i've got a set of -40mm springs to fit which will also mean losing the gti  front spoiler and replacing it with a CL version as it scrapes like mad as it is.
EDIT : ^after lowering it, i've learned to live with a bit of scrubbing cos it looks wicked.
« Last Edit: 12 September 2007, 16:13 by monkeyalan »

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 24 August 2007, 15:00 »
finally got the rear end painted.

not totally happy with the match but it'll do til/if I get a respray.

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 27 August 2007, 20:00 »
I've developed a slight leak in the fuel accumulator/ reservoir area.  :sad:

from what i can see it's coming from either the top of the pump housing itself or one of the fuel returns up there.

I'm going to get a new housing anyway as there not that much and i've seen a few threads about them being cracked. hopefully it wont be too much of a pain as there seems to be a fair few rusty nuts in the general area.
« Last Edit: 28 August 2007, 16:55 by monkeyalan »

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 29 August 2007, 14:52 »
well, got to the root of that little problem. the housing was split around the base of the return to the tank. I should get a few more miles out of a tank now.  :laugh:

while i was spending i thought i may aswell get a few bits needed for the suspension change.

I've already got the springs, PI -40 mm  , I used them on my old Jetta and was pretty impressed. I would normally use Eibach but they're not really within budget.

I'm replacing the balljoints in an attempt to sort the slightly heavier steering when turning right.
It's not too bad but it is a bit annoying even tho' I've pretty much got used to it now.

I also got these

I'm not that arsed about bling but I couldn't get any plastic ones from the scrapyard as there were none on any of the vw's they've got.

I'm pretty sure they eat 'em or summat.  :huh:

oh yeah, the bumper strip saga. After waiting weeks and going to VW 3 times in one week to pick it up when it was supposed to have arrived each time......I've finally given up and got a refund.

I'll have to scour a few more scrappys for one i suppose unless anyone reading this is aware of anywhere i can get one from. ECP and GSF don't sell the strip ,only bumpers with it as part of the moulding.
« Last Edit: 29 August 2007, 15:49 by monkeyalan »

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 30 August 2007, 14:45 »
killed two very annoying birds with one stone this morning......the girlfriend and her mother !

only kiddin.  :laugh:

my exhaust has been knocking on the back end since I bought the car and after having a look yesterday I noticed the two ring rubbers on the backbox weren't even under any tension.

I replaced them with smaller ones curing the knocking exhaust and whilst out on a test drive i realised that the vibration I was getting through the pedals at 2800 - 3200 rpm has now also disappeared.  :cool:

best £4 i've spent this week.  :grin:

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 03 September 2007, 15:24 »
got the last parts i need ( afaik ) for the suspension.

I have an invoice showing the fronts had new inserts about 4 months ago so theres no point changing them but i have no idea how long the rears have left so while it's being dropped i might aswell change them.

I know some people say you shouldn't put standard struts with lowered springs but it's only going -40mm and i really don't want rock hard suspension as Sheffield is the pothole capital of Europe.

Also,  I don't do that many miles so wear and tear will be minimal.

Hopefully , circumstances and weather allowing it should be done this weekend.

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 06 September 2007, 16:29 »
had a bit of an issue with the coolant side of things but after reading a few threads figured out it was an airlock caused by a worn o ring in the expansion tank lid.

replaced that with a genuine Blue VW one and the flywheel viewing hole cover thingy ( tech speak - don't worry ) in the gearbox.

no pics cos they would be well boring.
« Last Edit: 06 September 2007, 16:33 by monkeyalan »

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 07 September 2007, 16:06 »
just got a call from my mate with the big flat drive and we're going to lower the car in a bit.  :grin:

-40mm springs
new rear struts
new bump stops
new ball joints
new front top mounts

i'll post pics tomorrow.

EDIT : and i've just won an early corrado sunroof motor so hopefully no more winding for me.  :grin:
« Last Edit: 07 September 2007, 17:36 by monkeyalan »

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 08 September 2007, 19:25 »
 :cool:

should look even better when the springs have settled.

it now has better ride quality than before as the rear dampers were both leaking oil and all four bump stops were disintegrated and both top mounts were shot, one had half the bearing missing  :shocked: .
had a bit of a hard time undoing the front top nut on one side but other than that it was a piece of pee pee.

corners are so much more fun now.  :grin:

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 12 September 2007, 12:13 »
thought i'd update the list of things to do.

I've just finished sorting the rust spots on the drivers door. I know they'll probably come back through even though i went back to bare metal, kurusted and used alot of anti rust primer.

so the few little bits that need sorting to bring it back to where it should be are.

1. new numberplates
2. sunroof motor fitting ( when i can bloody find one )
3. air con looking at ( might be leaving this til next spring to give the wallet a rest )
4. gear lever ball and socket replacing

after that its all enhancements really. I'm not sure what yet but i'm sure there will be something that catches my eye.

I'm trying to get the other half to pay for a respray as an engagment present but she says it's not very romantic. Apparently " red is the colour of love " is not a good enough reason. women eh  :rolleyes:

decided to get new plates today ( looks wonky in the pic but it's not , promise )

following are the reasons that - 40mm on the suspension is the limit.

these are my only routes to and from home

« Last Edit: 13 September 2007, 14:04 by monkeyalan »