Author Topic: mk2 scrapyard - 2.0 16v rebuild  (Read 10176 times)

Offline Devon Joe

• GTI forum regular
  • Liebe zum ropey Automobil
Re: mk2 scrapyard - 2.0 16v rebuild
« Reply #20 on: 08 October 2006, 21:07 »
Righto...

-Have decided to make a mild steel inlet manifold to start with, will replace it with an aluminum one once it rusts away  :rolleyes:

-Made a card template and marked out the inlet ports and fixing holes..glad i kept a spare head and inlet tract handy!

-Realised that squashing the end of some 40mm OD tube gave a flat-sided oval section that matches the ports perfectly.

-The carbs are spaced much closer together than the inlet ports- if the carbs are centred on the head, none of them line up so...

Taking the carb assembly apart and spacing them to fit the inlets will defo create only more problems so i am going to make the manifold offset- the four Mikunis share a common fuel rail,  throttle shaft & choke.
I reckon a small piece of 40mm OD tube squashed as above welded to the inlet plate (some thickish mild steel. Though this may corrode the head by electrolytic wotsit the spare head has new stem seals and i reground the valves too so it would be a good replacement) Then some short angles bits to suit and then 4 short bits onto which some silicon tube will sit to hold the carbs. There is plenty of space under the bonnet as i can sort out the air filters afterwards.

If only my Volkswagen was as reliable as everyone else's...

Offline Devon Joe

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 10 October 2006, 18:50 »
Spoke to Bogg Bros today about rejetting the carbs...

For £60 exc postage they will rebuild them with the correct jets and guarantee them to be fully driveable when fitted.
They recommend a rollling road session for fine tuning which is fair enough.

Cant argue with that- saves my lovely little mikunis from my big fat hands.. :grin:

Offline Devon Joe

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 06 November 2006, 21:04 »

Well thats the end of my Mk2 project...£250 for a MK1 GTI with a TSR 285mm disc conversion  :tongue: