Author Topic: Mirage - mk2 8v with CarPC  (Read 8280 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Mirage - mk2 8v with CarPC
« on: 09 March 2006, 12:54 »
here you go :)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Mirage-

• Here all the time
Re: Mirage - mk2 8v with CarPC
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2006, 10:35 »
Right then... a bit of history on my road to being a dub addict.

In 2003 after I blew up the engine on my poor little 1litre fiesta I was given a 1988 Mk2 1.8 8v Golf Gti.

I'd not been on the road long at the time and probably wouldn't have bought a VW due the the insurance etc. but to have one given.... that's a different matter  :grin:  Anyway, the car was multi-tone spray can white, quite badly rusted in parts (boot floor was pretty much missing) and since she had been sat in a damp garage for nearly 2 years the seats were green molded and the battery was knackered.

First things first were to get the car cleaned up so that I could actually sit on the seats to drive her home.  Suprisingly the seats came up quite well and a new battery later she started first time so away I went.

Long story short was that there's no such thing as a free meal, log book comes through to find that the car had a good 13 previous owners, many of which were from the local estate so she'd definately been abused.  No matter since I was given the car I decided to pump cash into it. Got everything mechanically sorted, got my seats leatherered, windows tinted etc. but last year she finally gave up on me.  Fuse box and all electrics were buggered and having put so much money in it already and although it saddened me I had to call it a day.  There was no point in pumping yet more money into her knowing the history.

So... end of the dub life?  :huh: .... I don't think so.   :evil:

I decided that since I had put a lot of money into getting the seats leathered and a few other bits that I had bought for the car I was going to go out and buy another mk2.  Found quite a nice example a couple of weeks later and managed to get the garage down from £850 to £700 and so the plans begin.  :grin:

Last weekend I purchased new wishbones and SuperFlex poly bushes which were pressed in for me yesterday and have ordered vibratechnics rear mounts and a solid front engine mount which will be fitted at the end of this month (first child birth permitting).

I don't have any pictures as of yet but here's a brief outline of my plans for her:

1) Sort out handling, poly bushes, new wishbones, neuspeed ARB, front top strut brace, vibratechnics rear mounts, solid front mount and not sure which make but coilovers are definately in the pipeline.

2) Ensure that the engine and electrics are running sweetly, replacing standard equipment for aftermarket/uprated items where possible.

3) Complete my interior.  So far I have had my seats trimmed in leather by MJ Interiors who are just around the corner from my place, a nice  black leather with white stitching and white embroidered VW logo on the fronts.  I want the door cards padding out and finished in a mixture of black/cream leather.

4) The FINAL project piece.... the Car PC.  Once I have sorted out the drive and the luxury interior it's time to bring in the tech.  Being a computer programmer and having my first born due in just over a week I want to build and install myself a CarPC.  This is to include a large touch screen in the dash with a dvd slot underneather and screens in the headrests for the little'un.  Everything else is going to be in the boot,  PC with wireless networking, gps nav software and my own custom interface hooked directly into the amps to control the subs/speakers.  BIG project but don't expect it to be anywhere near complete until early next year.

I'll get some pictures of her when it's not raining/snowing and keep you all updated on any progress I make.

Cheers

Ian

Offline Mirage-

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 06 April 2006, 21:53 »
Just a quick update, my daughter was born on mothers day, March 26th so I've not had much time to think much about the golf but....

I now have sitting in my boot:-

2.0 8v (2e) complete engine
New wishbones with fitted Superflex Poly bushes
New track rod ends
New Balljoints
New Solid Front Engine Mount
New G60 Rear Engine Mount

So, the plan of sorting out the handling before the engine went out with the purchase of a the 2litre lump, although the "stages" of my project are kind of merging somewhat.  I now have most of the components I wanted for the handling (with the exception of coilovers/new arb/strut braces) and a 2litre lump to start stripping down and cleaning.

Still to get pictures which now that I have the digital camera out for pictures of my baby girl (http://www.miragesoftware.co.uk/personal/Kaitlyn/) I will try and sort after a clean tomorrow.

Will keep you all updated with the engine work as I make any progress.

Cheers

Ian

Offline Mirage-

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 07 April 2006, 23:21 »
The engine is now stripped down to sump, block and head.   :grin:

We had a couple of issues with getting to the nuts on the rocker cover in order to remove that we ended up fighting to first remove the inlet manifold giving us plenty of room to get the cover off and attack the head bolts. We just left the exhaust manifold attached, it wasn't in the way of the rocker cover and since I'm not using the 2e head I didn't need to worry about it  :wink:

Tomorrow we hit the block with gunk and a wire brush drill attachment  :evil:

I'm trying to learn a lot more about these engines and engines in general as I had a visit to a local machine shop earlier today and they can apparently do any work to whatever spec I provide  :cool:

Anyway, the engine's kept us busy today so still no pictures.  If it's now snowing tomorrow (seriously, it has been tonight) then I'll definately have to clean her and get some posted.

Offline Mirage-

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 27 April 2006, 11:18 »
Just a quick update..

My insurance renewal was due this weekend and having cost me in excess of £700TPFT last year I'm more than chuffed with the £400 renewal quote from Adrian Flux... which has been matched by our good man MartinB at HIC.  Cheers for that Martin  :smiley:

Decided that whilst I was abusing the plastic to pay for my Insurance I might aswell get some parts whilst I'm at it, being bank holiday weekend and all  :rolleyes:

I've now got a set of con rod bearings, new oil pump and new distributor to be collected from my local GSF at lunchtime today and have just ordered a set of piston rings, main bearings and a bottom end gasket set from Euro Car Parts which should be ready to collect sometime in the morning ready to begin the re-build this weekend  :cool:

And to top it off it's been a cracking day and I managed to finally get some pictures of her this evening  :laugh:

I know before anybody says anything, the lexus lights will be replaced along with the alloys but funds are being put into the engine bay at the moment.

« Last Edit: 27 April 2006, 21:12 by Mirage- »

Offline Mirage-

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 28 April 2006, 18:12 »
Well what a great day I've had... yeah great.. just great!!!  :cry: I thought I had ordered the remaining engine internals yesterday I called today and some mix-up ended up in my order being stored as simply a quote so no parts to collect today  :sad:

To top that off on my way home a nice sized stone managed to become wedged under the tyre of the car in front... low and behold it had to come out at some pressure and it managed to chip up leaving a lovely crystal effect in the bottom drivers corner of my screen  :angry:

... what is the folk tale about bad things happening in three's?... yeah, you guessed it coming down my road just about home, stereo a little quieter than normal, I noticed a rather annoying knocking coming from under my bonnet going over the bumps in the road.  :rolleyes: Pulls over to find that when I press the wing down the knocking is coming from the drivers strut. Would normally sort it over time but just to make things worse recon it's an MOT failure and guess what? it's due at the end of this month  :sad:

So that's the bad news, there is good news too.. sort of.

First point is that the guys at the parts shop were really great, didn't realise it was open on Saturdays and they're gonna have my parts there tomorrow morning  :smiley:

Second point is I DO have spares for the front suspension BUT it's from my OLD car (read previous posts) so it might not be the best idea to put it on my new baby.  This sadly means that the only other alternative is to go all out (I was going to do it eventually having saved) and invest in the coilovers early (more plastic abuse).

Will get a picture of the chip, hopefully have a screen in a mates car that's off road just have to get it out without damaging it.  :undecided:

Offline Mirage-

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 02 May 2006, 11:14 »
Well a quick call to the parts suppliers and most of my engine internals have now arrived to be collected this afternoon  :cool:

Unfortunately I'm running out of time before the MOT is due and it doesn't look like I'm going to get the engine done before the test. 

In fact thinking about it some more last night I decided that I'm going to be building up the bottom end and then probably have a month out until I can save for the Cam/Vernier Pulley.  My thoughts are that since it's an everyday runner there's no point in taking my existing engine out until I have everything that I want ready to fit.

So for the next couple of weekends my attention is going to be fully on getting her through the test.  Coilovers/wishbones +bushes/brake pipes, ball joints and track rod ends all to be fitted.

It's just a game of patience at the moment, having to wait on the parts to be delivered  :rolleyes:

Offline Mirage-

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2006, 09:04 »
Wishbones+poly bushes, ball joints, track rod ends and coilovers along with new top mounts all finally fitted  :cool:

BUT dropping it down off of the axle stands the car jumped forward putting one of the rear stands through my petrol tank!!!!  :angry: :angry: :cry: Not only that but it would also seem that the stand also managed to mash one of my alloys cracking the inside rim  :sad:

Now to source a petrol tank and start looking at prices and styles for some new alloys.

Will have to get some pictures when I get some new batteries for the camera.

Offline Mirage-

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2006, 12:44 »
Well the petrol tank has now been replaced and I have temporarily swapped over my old wheels until I can afford some new ones  :cool:

Didn't get any batteries for the digital camera so a mobile phone snap will have to do for now, scrapes on every turn with the 17's on so gonna have to raise her up but here's how she's sitting atm.

Needs setting up properly but at least everything's now fitted.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2006, 12:52 by Mirage- »

Offline Mirage-

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 24 October 2006, 10:20 »
Has it really been 5 months since my last update?.. how time flies once you have kids  :shocked:

Well nothing much has happened since my last update due to finances and my newly found family commitments but slowly and surely she's getting there.  I decided that rather than raise her a little to stop the scrubbing due to the low ride height and 215/40/17 Wheel/Tyre combination that I fitted instead we would attack the arches to make more room.

Although she looks in  a sad state at the moment here are the latest pictures taken on my way to work this morning.

As you can see we decided that whilst we were at it the side strips were to be removed and the arches widened quite a bit and flushed in.  Due to (in my opinion) it looking odd with the arches coming out wider than the bumpers we have also started to play with widening and smoothing the bumpers too, updates to follow within the next couple of weeks.

« Last Edit: 24 October 2006, 10:23 by Mirage- »