Author Topic: jasonpi - mk2 16v resto  (Read 6343 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
jasonpi - mk2 16v resto
« on: 11 December 2005, 14:10 »
here goes :)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline jasonpi

• I live here
Re: jasonpi - mk2 16v resto
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2005, 16:32 »
well thought i might aswell share my high's and lows on this resto so here's i came to have the car and what im going to do with it.
bought the car back in august from gaz(kniterider) for 1250 it was an oak green mk2 16v with big bumper. i bought it from gaz purely because i have before and if he says its mint or sh1te u can take his word on it!! so me and a mate set out on a planned 14 hour round trip but by the time i got home it had been 20 hours because the brake hose split
first thing was first to have a sleep then off to get the brake line fixed which when was done realised that sh1tfit have sodded up the idling (idiots) so after some tampering got it idling round 1k rpm good i thought so of to enjoy the car before i locked it up for winter for major resto. gaz was honest enough to let me know that the stem seals would need replacing due to the fact that when the car was floored tonnes of blue smoke appeared out the back, and signs of an oil leak didnt help matters. but it still didnt get me down always had a smile when driving it much better imho then an 8v any day.
so in october came the time to put it away so i could get to work, 1st on the list was to figure out what i was gonna do to it and my initial thought was to keep it original, and that meant converting it back to small bumper as it had been converted somewhere in its history then i thouht sod that it looks mean with them so if i was gonna style it to my liking. so of to a body shop for some ideas and knew what exactly i was gonna do to it.
1st would replace all wings and arches and loose the plastic trim and vinyl sill covers, then take it back to bare metal and get a respray.
2nd on the list it to get the interior leathered and sound proofed with dyno mat for the huge install that will go in.
and finally after much diliberation replace the block for a 2 litre one prehaps from a corrado or passat.

so watch this space i have already started stripping will post some pics soon

Offline jasonpi

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 26 December 2005, 22:50 »
 :santa:
first of all i need to get some english lessons as my grammar is sh1te.
anyways went down to the car today to get a few things done and noticed the steering wheel had mould on it?!?!?!
wtf!! so took it off the doors the boot the wings and that was about it as i could feel my nads freezing up will get pics up deff by the weekend.

Offline jasonpi

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2006, 19:27 »
well update had a guy from a bodyshop comeover and looked at the bodywork and apart from the usual rusty places the bodywork is mint so no bare metal respray needed. he's just gonna cut the paint back to the door sills, seal it 3 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint still gonna be expensive tho so until i win the lottery or something similar i will have to wait. so this weekend im planning on taking the engine out before the cold seizes it and im screwed sidewards. i will deff put some pics up.oh and my son's due in 29 days and im sh11ting a brick as i cant afford to wipe my 8rse let alone wipe his  :grin:

Offline jasonpi

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 06 February 2006, 17:06 »
Spent most of sunday getting the exterior trim of including the bumpers which all went well except one bolt :angry: anyway looking at the car getting an idea of what welding/parts i will need and came across this

now i knew i needed outer arches but dont know how this is gonna affect it will have to call the bodyshop and get a revised quote :cry: anyway spending most of my time there this week will get more pics up as i go along.

Offline jasonpi

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 08 February 2006, 19:38 »
started on removing the engine yesterday  :laugh: my god a valver has so many more wires than the 8v my head was spinng so i though get the radiator of and drain the sytem before it siezes thats a mistake the left top mounting on the radiator attaches coming under up and down if u get me and i cannot figure how the hell to get it of may have to take of the main whatever that goes across which the rad bolts onto. as u can tell my knowledge of mechanics is limited, any peeps in aberdeen that fancy giving me a hand with little tools and in freezing weather email me :grin:
BTW i put back the doors boot etc as in my infinate wisdom the interior started freezing (DOH!!!)
« Last Edit: 08 February 2006, 19:40 by jasonpi »

Offline jasonpi

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 26 March 2006, 11:49 »
aint really got a lot done recently but have tried to take the engine out but without a hoist its proving somewhat difficult so im having to dismantle the engine piece by piece  my progress to date is removed the throttlebody manifold rocker cover altenator and various wires. going there today hope i can muster some enthusiasm to do something

Offline jasonpi

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 17 April 2006, 15:52 »
well been very slow progress to date having a 6 week old takes its toll on you and if im spending 2 hours a week on the golf im lucky. anyway thought i would post a pic let u see what a mess she's in

by the way getting rid of a lot of stuff pm me i might have what you might need. :smiley:

Offline jasonpi

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 26 June 2006, 10:41 »
update 26.6.06

well i spent 2 1/2 hours on the golf yesterday and managed to get the doors off wings(nightmare)off and bonnet and all went relatively well, so im gaining enthusiasm!!! anyone need doors or a bonnet in oak green let me know as im just replacing those items....anyway will put pics up later.

Offline jasonpi

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 28 June 2006, 09:32 »
as promised some photo's of the state she is in  :cry: