Author Topic: finally started my abf conversion:-)  (Read 15054 times)

Offline mk2addict

• GTI forum regular
Re: finally started my abf conversion:-)
« Reply #20 on: 23 October 2011, 14:47 »
I have tsr performance close to me so I might give them a call see what they suggest they do rollin road tunin for 80quid an hour.

Offline emery1990

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 23 October 2011, 16:39 »
Sounds good mate. Not trying to sell you nothing or advising just as I've got one for sell, but if you do go down that route I've got an ecu for sale, with a my the map from my new engine on it just made safer, so only needs a tweak advanced and leaner fuelling etc.

Got it built last year for £350 but never ran the car on it, well did but it's a long story. I'd sell it it for £150.

Isn't head porting like £400+ anyway?

Offline mk2addict

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 23 October 2011, 18:04 »
Yea its loads I was hopeion to get it done chgeaper but strugglin , I don't think u can widen the diamator of the valves on the abf or anything so don't know what ill gain probs only a few bhp, ill probably just match the inlet manifold and and exaust manifold to the throotle body block and that to get a bit beytter flow.try that myself with a lil grinder I reckon.but ill see how my banks lookin at the time. I've gotta get new suspension and new roll bars all round so other things might take priority first which is a bit sh!t

Offline emery1990

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 23 October 2011, 18:38 »
Yer get the chassis sorted to handle the power, Mine has just a standard 2.016v 9A and it aint slow at all! Yer I've heard head porting messes up the flow and can in cases reduce torque!

Offline mk2addict

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #24 on: 23 October 2011, 19:10 »
I'll see how things go I'm gunna get some sport dampers meant for a 16v mk2 to take the weight and stiffen it all up wiv some eibech roll bars I've already polybushed it so shoud be a lil go go kart.

Offline mk2addict

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 25 October 2011, 20:56 »
cleard the surface rust off the right inner panel battery tray and primed it with the rest of the right hand side of the engine bay. Gunna do the back of the engine bay on the weekend as gunna have to remove all the wiring out of the way to get a decent job dne.

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
« Reply #26 on: 01 November 2011, 19:38 »
Better off doing some reading around the subject. Also I'd take DH up on his offer of a nosey at his ABF's syncro shed. Probably learn more in a few hours than weeks trawling the web.

You can however pick up an ebay chip which improves the feel for not much. Before porting the head I'd look to sorting induction path and exhaust, nothing extreme so as not to ruin it. If you're not moving the air your engine won't make the power.
Would be cheaper to do the valves than port the head, but there again only if you have a friend in a machine shop.

But for the figures you're looking for standalone management looks good.

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline mk2addict

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 15 November 2011, 18:06 »
Change of plan, its gettin a 20v turbo I'm feelin brave:-).

Offline mk2addict

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 15 November 2011, 23:19 »
Second thoughts abf it is think for my first swap it'll be perfect then save up for a turbo later. Appreciatin all the help. I'm dwn I devon

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #29 on: 16 November 2011, 17:07 »
Sadly a bit of a hike to see an old shed on the Isle of Wight.  :grin:

Whereabouts in Devon are you?
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.