Author Topic: Mk2 16v Turbo Full car rebuild  (Read 40839 times)

Offline tomp

• Here all the time
Re: Mk2 16v Turbo Full car rebuild
« Reply #130 on: 01 December 2013, 16:39 »

New front wings trial fitted (with all new stainless bolts) next up I need to buy me some paint

Offline DubFan

• I live here
« Reply #131 on: 01 December 2013, 20:50 »
Cheers! Been a long time in the making but it will get finished one day!

Considering you started this thread in 2011... how long till it's done?  :whistle:

Offline tomp

• Here all the time
« Reply #132 on: 02 December 2013, 21:02 »
Cheers! Been a long time in the making but it will get finished one day!

Considering you started this thread in 2011... how long till it's done?  :whistle:

Didn't realise I was on a deadline, it will be done when its done...  You'll be pleased to know I just ordered some paint...

Offline tomp

• Here all the time
« Reply #133 on: 08 December 2013, 19:16 »
Painted the inner wings and inside of the Golf today, the pictures don't do it justice, it looks pretty good, three coats of polyester basecoat, and three coats of lacquer..

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #134 on: 11 December 2013, 01:07 »
Wow I see what you mean, it does look like a brand spanker! Skoda or MK2 16VT? I know which one I would rather have sat in the garage needing some attention  :smiley:

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline tomp

• Here all the time
« Reply #135 on: 17 December 2013, 20:07 »
Finally got my engine management sorted, I had bought another kstar unit (a much later one) but couldn't get into it as I didn't know the password.

Anyway, I managed to buy the later mapping software and a password reset tool (only works with the later bigger kstar units) so the password is now reset and the original maps are loaded back into it, I still need to wire in the MAP sensor but I have a diagram for that - all I have to do is cut the link wire on the back of the kstar plug and connect to the map sensor along with a 5v supply from the back of the same plug.

The engine note changed once the MAP was reloaded into the kstar as it compensates for where the dizzy is retarded to. Its much smoother now.

Well happy - major hurdle overcome!

Offline tomp

• Here all the time
« Reply #136 on: 17 December 2013, 20:07 »
Wow I see what you mean, it does look like a brand spanker! Skoda or MK2 16VT? I know which one I would rather have sat in the garage needing some attention  :smiley:

Cheers Sam!

Offline DubFan

• I live here
« Reply #137 on: 18 December 2013, 08:55 »
Skoda or MK2 16VT? I know which one I would rather have sat in the garage needing some attention  :smiley:
Was that aimed at me?
True I have a Skoda, but I need something bigger and safer for my family.
For myself to drive, I'd much rather have a Mk2 16v, turbo or non-turbo, I'm not fussy. I'll get another one and in the meantime, I'll enjoy seeing someone restore a Mk2 with this much attention to detail.

Nice work, keep it up.

Offline tomp

• Here all the time
« Reply #138 on: 20 December 2013, 16:01 »
Skoda or MK2 16VT? I know which one I would rather have sat in the garage needing some attention  :smiley:
Was that aimed at me?
True I have a Skoda, but I need something bigger and safer for my family.
For myself to drive, I'd much rather have a Mk2 16v, turbo or non-turbo, I'm not fussy. I'll get another one and in the meantime, I'll enjoy seeing someone restore a Mk2 with this much attention to detail.

Nice work, keep it up.

Thanks! It will get finished one day!

The problem with the engine management made me lose a lot of enthusiasm as I just didn't have the time to consider learning about and fitting a new management system, now I've sorted this out, I can carry on knowing its all going to be good...

The interior is now all dug out from all around the garage where its been stored for the last couple of years waiting to be refitted.

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #139 on: 21 December 2013, 17:40 »
a turbo kjet must have a blast radius of at least 5 miles when it pinks  :laugh: